Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I've watched some unboxing & hands on movies, but I didn't find the answer...
Do you know is it posiible to disable the "home bar"

I know it is possible to disable it by API function, so 3rd party app devs can do it in their apps.
But... is it possible do disable it at all in Settings?

I'm talking about this black horizontal line at the bottom of the screen:
OV_UI_Appearance_X.png
Was wondering the same question... I read Apple explains to devs that they need to keep this area free of objects to interact with, but having ALL the time appearing is a nonsense. Once you understood the slide to Home trick or slide to app switching, it's done. Hope they will remove it or offer an option to do so (if it isn't already here)

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
Is it just me or do all of the review units seem to be silver only?
Not that I'm complaining - I ordered silver but it would be nice to see a SG model reviewed.

Also, as per most reviews, many of the sample pics taken on the camera are truly awful - CNet's review for one.They look like pics taken on an iPhone 4!
[doublepost=1509569415][/doublepost]
why are all review units silver? :/ only space grey i found was the one from economic times

and the video was shot on a Moto Razr by the looks :D

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
well 1 thing we know for sure after 24hrs the so-called security of faceid has already haceked by twins.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Why did the lady in the last video (WSJ) have to be standing in the streets to hold a picture to her phone?

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I'm waiting to see if someone does a side by side comparison of photo quality using the iPhone 8 Plus camera and X.

From what I understand the X has optical stabilization for the telephoto lens and a slightly different f stop, but that seems to be it. An iMore review mentioned HDR improvements as well over the 8 Plus, but I'd like to see what the real world difference would be, and if it really justifies paying $200 more for the X.

I generally upgrade for the camera, so far I like the warmer tones of the 8 Plus over the 7 Plus, but the X is still a question mark for me.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
It didn't seem to be in the stock wallpapers of the two iPhone X's that I tried out at the Apple store today. Or at least I couldn't find it.
Yep, you were right. They are different. :(

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I seriously hope they get it to work better than Windows Hello on Surface Pro. This is a piece of crap. It recognizes me in good light without any distractions maybe 1 time out of 10. I don't expect the X to do much better in real life.

Windows Hello has seemingly improved for me. Not sure if through software updates repeated use of the “improve facial recognition” trainings in various conditions, or a combination of the two. But where it was once a great source of frustration, often requiring me to put in my PIN, it now seems to work 99% of the time.

But enough about MS. I am confident that Facial Recognition will improve with the iPhone X from some early first week growing pains. The current minor issues have not dampened my enthusiasm.

I have had numerous finger ID issues with various phones and iPads too, where the device just fails to recognize the finger print. Just showered, it may not work. Just washed your hands, it may not work. Hands to dry from low humidity like we get here in Colorado? May not work. Just moisturized those dry hands? May not work. It’s cold outside? Gotta take your glove off every time.

On my MBP, its even worse. Fingerprint ID fails to works 70% of the time, telling me my password is required to Activate Touch ID, even though I just used Touch ID to unlock it 5 mins ago. If you think MS’s Hello on the Surface Pro is annoying, Touch ID on my MBP sucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.