Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Let's tread lightly on using "confirmed", there's enough disparity in testing methodologies, lack of repeatability, etc., and we know authentication isn't 100% accurate, but that doesn't "confirm" anything to the complete negative. :)

I know what I'll be doing for my morning :D

So far it seems things are looking positive for the iPhone X.

Though the complaints about the notch is not surprising and I still think that's a mistake by Apple.

Yeah, I can _confirm_ I'm still totally stoked (*snicker*).

re: The Notch

Since the display area to the side of the notch are OLED, and you get a "free" blackout, and it's addressable via the SDK, all it means is there's a notch *or* a straight horizontal cutoff, via the app design. Since there _had_ to be an area of non-display space to accommodate to the cameras/sensors, it's not like there wasn't going to be some top bezel. Apple just opted to use that space for indicators, provide a little more corner-to-corner symmetry, and create a bit of a brand silhouette.

Having that space available seems like it could be advantageous, vs. committing it to complete non-use[?] And I definitely wouldn't want to more "chin" just to create symmetry.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Face ID is inconsistent. That's what I keep hearing. That's why I didn't pre-order this year and that's why I'll wait. Maybe until the Xs phone next year. Production problems with the parts that make up Face ID that resulted in production problems with the overall production of the phone. Not surprising that there are reviewers having problems with it. Hopefully they get it it perfected by next year, or succeed in putting fingerprint ID under the screen by then.
looks about as consistent if not more than touch ID is.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Face ID is inconsistent. That's what I keep hearing. That's why I didn't pre-order this year and that's why I'll wait. Maybe until the Xs phone next year. Production problems with the parts that make up Face ID that resulted in production problems with the overall production of the phone. Not surprising that there are reviewers having problems with it. Hopefully they get it it perfected by next year, or succeed in putting fingerprint ID under the screen by then.
I love the sudden collective amnesia on here about the fact that touchID doesn't work if your fingers or the sensors are wet, dirty etc. Sounds to me like faceID will have a similar set of limited circumstances under which it won't work ideally: it's just they will be different to those under which touchID doesn't work well. It doesn't seem any more hassle to me to have to hold my phone a bit closer to my face than to have to wipe the phone or my hands down on a cloth.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

All of which are unconfirmed rumors, mostly posted by someone with a vested interest in dealing with shareholders.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
mods why have you closed threads in the iPhone forum that was useful for posting reviews? not everybody comes into this section after all.

Because this is where all the noise will occur. In the dedicated device sections it's a little more controlled, here? It'll be a Troll-a-Thon of epic proportions :D

Reactions: gene731

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say, seeing the white phone in the videos, it does look sharp. I've never purchased a white iPhone, always gone for space gray/black but that does look sharp.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The thing that seems to crop up again and again in these reviews is Face ID and how inconsistent it is.

As expected. TouchID was also inconsistent and slow at first. I expect FaceID to improve considerably with next years model.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Micheal Fisher, 'the tech guy' and Steve Lichfield are the three most unbias Vloggers and the best by a country mile.
I wait to see these reviews before judging.

Reactions: bliss1111

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I disagree, he seems to make excuses when Apple missteps, he seems heavily invested in promoting apple as opposed to being independent

He doesn’t make excuses, as much as explaining why he believes Apple went in the direction they did for something. He is clear that he doesn’t like the notch. In his podcast he was also somewhat critical of the preorder process.

He just doesn’t dive into berating them as is popular these days. He even was giving Google a pass on the Pixel 2 problems for quite a while, but, eventually did cancel his order for that device.

:EDIT:
As an aside, I am waiting for one of Andy Ihnatko’s famous rambling diatribes for something he doesn’t like or appreciate on the X. While I often agree with his gripes (Apple’s new keyboards for instance), I think he tends to go on a bit much about it.

Reactions: the future

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Lets see how Face ID fares with makeup (day) and without makeup (bedtime). Lets hear it from the ladies.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He doesn’t make excuses, as much as explaining why he believes Apple went in the direction they did for something. He is clear that he doesn’t like the notch. In his podcast he was also somewhat critical of the preorder process.
I don't know, I've seen him use some very questionable logical gymnastics on the MacBreak Weekly podcast over the years. Don't get me wrong, I do like the reviews he writes, but I think he's not all that critical.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is the obvious one big thing Apple needs to nail.
Agreed, its really the only major feature that the iPhone X has over the 8 (aside from the full screen) and if its consistent, problematic, its not a good move on their part.

Reactions: iapplelove

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I don't know, I've seen him use some very questionable logical gymnastics on the MacBreak Weekly podcast over the years. Don't get me wrong, I do like the reviews he writes, but I think he's not all that critical.

Fair enough.

I am with you on that. Looking forward to seeing reviews from many of our members that live in both camps Android and iOS, as well as bloggers and lesser known YouTube reviewers in the same camp.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Agreed, its really the only major feature that the iPhone X has over the 8 (aside from the full screen) and if its consistent, problematic, its not a good move on their part.
Full screen and OLED. That is a very important distinction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.