List of stuff that sucks in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by surjavarman, Jul 22, 2011.

1. surjavarman, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I don't get why Lion is getting rave reviews from tech sites. Lion has 250 new features and none of them are useful. Some of these features are outrageous. For example they listed canceling a transfer, fullscreen chess and resizing from any corner as features.

1) Mission control sucks. First I thought it was an improvement over expose because it shows to logos of the apps so I thought it would be easier to identify my app. But windows of 1 app are grouped together in a STACK(!) making it extremely hard to identify and everything is much smaller because it ALWAYS has to make space for desktop and fullscreen apps too. I don't care about my desktop or fullscreen apps. I want to quickly select an app and wether its in fullscreen or not is IRRELEVANT. I don't need to know that. Now whenever I want to select one of my open apps. I first need to check my MC expose and when its not there I need to check my MC spaces. Second if I really wanted to know what my fullscreen apps are I would just quickly swipe left and right which is a million times quicker than MC. Or I would just REMEMBER them?

2) There is no "save as" option in preview. Instead I need to export it first then click in browse directory. And it never remembers my last choice either. It sucks compared to "save as". It takes one more step and it doesn't remember my last choice. Seriously what was the point of removing it in the first place?

3) No library directory. There is probably a hack for that to get it to show but I haven't really gotten to it. But its an additional thing I need to do in combination with turning off all the feature I don't want to use (like invert scrolling, launchpad).

4) No audio in some of my apps! Another annoyances. I use Mplayer OSX extended and I just can not get it to work after the update. Major fail here.

5) Fullscreen apps. First I thought this was the killer feature of Lion. But then I realized that only like 1% of all the apps support full screen. Ok Lion is still new. The thing is I can't open another window and then go back to the original window. There is no way to switch between the two windows. I am writing an email I have to finish it first before it before I can switch back to my mail program. Oh btw I can not cancel "a compose new message" window with my mouse button. I NEED TO USE A KEYBOARD SHORTCUT!!!! Whats the point of using full screen apps for anything except safari. That combined with MC makes it a disaster to use. You don't have control over your windows and you don't know whats open or not.

6) it takes another additional step to get in to system profiler. Just like basically everything takes an additional step in lion.

7) some of the gestures just do not work at all. Double tap to zoom or 3 finger double to to look up just don't work for me

8) No trim support for 3rd party SSD's. Hello 2011???

9) No invert swiping between apps/desktops. Invert scrolling yet no invert swiping. Consistency, apple! Consistency

I rate this server pack a 2/10. It only gets a 2 because of fullscreen which is a nice idea that needs some more work in the future.

2. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

2. The new save as is called Duplicate.
    3. The user Library is now hidden if that was the Library you were referring to.
    6. Just Launch the App, System Information. No extra step.

4. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

I really miss pinch to zoom in finder. :(
    Oh, and Mission Control is a bit buggy.

5. aresinferno macrumors regular

Not cut + paste exactly. It is now more copy + move. With cut + paste you select a file you want to move, and then move it. In lion you select a file you would like to copy or move, and then make the decision when you are at the destination folder.

To do this, copy something in finder and then press alt when right clicking in the destination. The paste option changes to move.

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

every new OS prompts these kinds of threads.

i don't get it. eventually, there will be OS updates to fix and tweak things.
    people will, in the meantime, adapt.

this IS the new OS; use it or don't.
    one day, some of your apps may require it as a minimum OS, so deal with it, or get left behind. i mean, there are people out here still complaining about what they miss from OS9...

watch for shareware/freeware tweaks (i'm doing that).
    find workarounds, figure out solutions...
    move forward, like everyone else.

just my humble opinion... :D

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Or just cmd+c, then alt+cmd+v.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Or the people who scream the sky is falling, Apple sucks. Where is my Library folder, the took my Library folder. No, they just hid it. Simple solutions for most things that people don't understand. Change brings out the worst in some people.

9. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

OP, Points 1 and 5 are conflicting, and the others are just rants.

10. RWil85 macrumors 6502

good find..didn't realize this until now. i love macs.

11. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

12. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Of course, Quicken is a Rosetta app. Intuit is run by idiots, they have had years to update Quicken, but it's still based the technology from the past century.

Don't blame this one on Apple - if you're still dependent on Quicken in 2011, blame yourself.

13. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

THANK YOU!! :)

Still not as efficient as cmd+x, cmd+v but hey, lets not get greedy. :)

14. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

No two finger going back in finder or applications...

...plus i find the safari animation when going back over the top..they are really turning the mac into an iPhone..!

15. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

In Mail, you can no longer search in specific account or folders. Searching is global, looks in every single folder and it sucks because you get all the junk you don't need such as the last 5 saved drafts of an email.

16. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

OH GOD, I HATE THAT ONE! :mad: I am so accustomed to using 2 fingers to go to back the last page in FireFox. How do I get it back?!?!? :eek:

17. gsilver macrumors member

These are working fine for me. You need to double tap with 2 fingers to get the zoom to work in Safari. These both work on my macbook and magic trackpad.

18. platypus63 macrumors regular

To show library folder, type the following into terminal. Replace [username] with your own username, without the brackets of course.

chflags nohidden /users/[username]/library

I also don't get all the excitement over fullscreen apps. It doesn't lend itself very well to multi-tasking, even multi-tasking within one application. Plus in Safari, etc you just get empty background for most of the site anyway when it's fullscreen.

Anyway my only complaint is that they got rid of the expose from leopard/snow leopard, the one that shows all windows of all apps.

19. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

YAY! Thx! :D

20. harrisondavies, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

1. Mision control is different, I wouldn't say it sucks. There is room for improvement, and complaining on a forum will get you squat, appeal to Apple to bring in the features you want...

2. Surely Export and Save As are the same thing in reality? Needs work though in this area I agree .

3. Hiding library is to protect newbies & morons who can't help themselves from adding and deleting critical files. If you don't know how to get to it, you have no business being in there in the first place IMO. Why get Lion if you didn't want inverted scrolling, launchpad etc. you should have stuck with SL instead of complaining that Apple added some new features. You knew they were coming and yet you STILL chose to get a copy. You have only yourself to blame. If it really breaks your heart revert back to SL.

4. No problems whatsoever with audio here, sounds like a fail on the 3rd pty software to me.

5. I agree that Mail needs the ability to switch back and forth here, but sorry I can cancel a compose message window quite easily. Not sure why you'd want to revisit your mail app while composing. if you want to copy stuff, surely you'd do that first or forward the mail and remove stuff you don't want in there in the first place.

6. Apple > Option + Click 'System Information' (Little clue there for your missing Library folder too)

7. Some gestures can be hit and miss on occasion, perhaps need new fingers, but I'd say your install is a little bit screwy, backup and reinstall a clean copy, then come and tell us what doesn't work

My take on things, apple have brought something new to the table, not everyone will like it, but to outright say something sucks is an insult to all the hardworking coders and engineers at Apple. I think people have become so rude and demanding, expecting everything their way, now, now, now. Sure there is room for improvement, and I hope Apple really listen and adopt what we see as flaws and can accommodate the majority of people. Up until then, put up and shut up or go back to your beloved SL. It's NOT SL and never will be.

I have a few issues with Lion myself, and have reported them in the correct manner, and received thanks and gratitude for helping make a better product. Whinging and complaining, while good for the soul (There's no-one better at that than me), will not make a better product, make a details factual, non emotional list and send it to Apple, but take a step back and realise, it's only software, there are kids dying in the world from starvation. Get a grip on reality.

Now back to the griping...My biggest bug bear is not being able to scroll past a flash based advert in Safari...why oh why! (Solution: move around it. Annoying, but not life threatening.)

21. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

No you don't! I found people would unintentionally be zooming in and out their finder windows more often than they would intentionally, and pretty sure that's why it's gone. I can't envisage a situation where I'd want to do it anyway, tbh.

As for other OP things, I noticed that issue with Mail Fullscreen as well, it really is taking the iPadness to an unfortunate extreme, the death of even desktop multitasking. Not being able to look back at the inbox while composing is a crime, nothing less. And that's why Fullscreen joins Arrange by in Finder as "new features I won't be using" after the first full day of playing. If /Applications could be arranged by kind and that would stick as a global setting , maybe, but not for now. LaunchPad I'm going to try to use, especially if we are indeed moving to phase out the dock.

22. tehn00p macrumors member

Not being able to have Two Finger Tap and Click in bottom right corner for secondary click at the same time like you could in SL.

23. veteq macrumors member

up until this point, I have always supported Apple on their decisions but I have to say that Lion is a complete disappointment.

where is the finder slider to change the size on the icons on the fly? is it also gone? I am very close to restoring back to snow leopard and call this lost of the $29.00 a learning experience.

24. tehn00p macrumors member

I too question apples judgement on a lot of things in Lion, especially the scrolling, way to confuse people!

25. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

View -> Show Status bar