List: Waiting for Montevina MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DVNIEL, Feb 24, 2008.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

:D

Quite frankly, the reason I won't be updating as of yet because I feel that the impending MacBook Pro update will just be a "bump." WWDC is the mainstage for the Pro equipment, and I feel that is when we will see new Apple Cinema Displays and a REAL "NEW" MacBook Pro.

The Penryn update is actually considered a "Santa Rosa Refresh." It still possesses the same mobile Intel 965 chipset and wireless wi-fi link. Montevina will have sure-fire HD support (HD/DVD & Blu-ray), will be 40% smaller than Penryn, brand new Cantiga chipset, and possible to have Wi-Max. Intel admitted that when Montevina is released, that is when we will see smaller and lighter laptops. Best of all, it's going to be released MID-2008, and what rolls around that time.... thats right. WWD

So let the true MacBook Pro update...wait.... REPLACEMENT.. wait begin! :D

/raise hand for official wait

2. pw1388 macrumors member

I really dont think that i can wait that long. I have been waiting for the past 3 month and the past 3 tuesdays not sleeping skipping class for the damn update. If they dont update by the end of march or a new 100% that will lead to a update to the new chipset then i will just buy myself a Vaio or something.

3. John Purple macrumors regular

Replacement?

Ever had a software beta release? quite bad, but you only have to wait to get an update.
    Frankly I wouldn't like to get a hardware beta release.

4. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I'm not speaking as if the MacBook Pro name will be gone, but a real serious change to the hardware. Steve Jobs called the 3G Nano the replacement to the 2G Nano. Penryn will just be a mere "bump" because of the processor change and what not, a replacement is a from-the-ground-up change.

I'm predicting for Tuesdays proclaimed "update" will be Penryn 2.5gHz, NVIDIA 8800M GTX (still at 256MB), 4GB RAM max, and optional 250GB HD, multi-touch trackpad... Thats it.

If Apple decides to adopt Montevista, then that will be a complete revamp because of new processor capabilities: Small chassis due to 40% size reduction, magnetic latch, NVIDIA's new Quadro FX 3600M for true mobile workstations (i.e - the MBP), MacBook Air style keyboard, conversion to Micro-DVI or displayport to make chassis thinner, chipset native Wi-Max, SSD option since by this time it will be somewhat cheaper, and lastly... native blu-ray/hd-dvd support now that the war has been settled.

Also, Steve Jobs wants the publicity at a big event to show off how he's helping the earth. Like he said at MacWorld, from now on they're going to summarize how environmentally-efficient they'll be with their new products. He's going to announce cleaner aluminum, better glass, small packaging, etc.

If the Penryn update is just considered as a "Santa Rosa Refresh" even by Intel, then I'll pass; I've already experienced Santa Rosa 3 times.

5. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

Penryn is not even out yet and already jumping the boat to Montevina?

i just can wish you guys happy waiting, and i wish i had the patient like you guys
    but i dont :(

6. jinxer5000 macrumors member

So I might be new here but I here is what I have gathered and you tell me if you're going to be in the same boat most of the waiters now are.

Penryn seems to have hit a snag coming to market since being released and is just now making it's way out on the market. What makes you think Intel won't push back the release of Montevina in order to get the most out of Penryn? Even if they announce it in MID 2008 do you think Apple will release it right away if they update with Penryn in the next few weeks as rumored.

If anything it won't be added until September or later in the year like before the holidays. And on top of that you're looking for a complete redesign? You're going to be waiting an awful long time in my opinion. But maybe you don't care so I wish you the best. I know I've been waiting since maybe early summer last year for whatever this next refresh will be.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't think you understand exactly what they are. Penryn is the processor, a die-shrink of the current Merom Core 2 Duo from 65nm to 45nm. Montevina is the next-generation of the Centrino platform, which will replace Santa Rosa (which replaced Napa).

Montevina consists of the Penryn 45nm procesor, the Cantiga (GM45) chipset, Intel X4500 graphics, 1066MT/s FSB, among other things.

Montevina won't "replace" Penryn, it will replace Santa Rosa and use Penryn.

8. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

It barely took Apple & Intel a year to push Core Duo out of the spotlight and implement Core 2 Duo, so why not? Core Duo MacBook Pro was finally released in March, Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro was out by late October of the same year, and Intel is spitting out new processors even faster than before

9. jinxer5000 macrumors member

Ah, got it. Thanks for straighten me out. =]
    So do any of my ramblings hold up based on that? =P

10. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Ah!! I was beginning to worry that I was the only one intending to skip this Penryn bump and go straight for the mother lode, in the Montevina upgrade.

11. wildwobby macrumors member

To clear things up,

Apples upgrade to Penryn processors will give a bigger boost in performance than Montevina will. Montevina will just give it extra bells and whistles with the only real notable thing is the increase of bus speed. Merom to Penryn update will give the MacBook Pro a bigger performance jump than 'SR + Penryn' to 'Montevina + Penryn.'

And either way... shortly after a few months after Montevina is released, Nehalem will be released (Late '08/Early '09) which will be the biggest jump of all.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well now we all understand where your interest in OS X is.:rolleyes:

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

8800GTX? lol, one problem with that... HEAT

smaller chassis? lol, see above

a QUADRO?!? lol, thats the funniest prediction i think, since when has apple EVER used a pro graphics chipset in a machine?

you guys and your predictions are always good for a laugh:p

14. duykur macrumors regular

you guys don't relies that you can have penryn and montevina at the same time. penryn is a different processor, montevina's a chipset. the current gen mbp's use a merom processor and a santa rosa chipset, penryn is actually a larger increase in performance than montevina. even though montevina has a higher bus.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

DDR3-800 ram is going to be big.

16. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I can actually wait that long, because I don't have a MacBook Pro on my shopping list until Christmas of 08, when I will be buying one for college. I am just curious to see what these MBP updates will look like.

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Even though I'd like a MBP now, I'm waiting past Montevina until Nehalem hits.

The processor will be a healthy jump in performance since it is a completely new architecture (Core 3 Duo effectively). Also, it will (hopefully) have support for faster DDR3 memory (1066). It's nice that Montevina will support DDR3 800, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually slower than DDR2 667. It's great at power saving, but DDR3 has a higher access latency than DDR2. Once we get to 1066, we should definitively pull ahead of what DDR2 can do for a notebook.

Also, Nehalem comes with an integrated memory controller (and goodbye frontside bus), which will finally match AMD processors in terms of memory bandwidth. A later version of Nehalem will also have a die-integrated GPU (good news for integrated graphics users).

18. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I think im just going to buy one on tuesday.. then be put on the waiting list for the super next gen 16 core 14 duo "moete" processor that will come out in two years. lol..:eek: I hate the waiting game.

-JoE

19. akadmon macrumors 68020

Yes. I don't think Apple (or any other computer maker) will implement MV until September at the earliest. Anyone who thinks MV will happen in June is probably delusional.

Legal Disclaimer

The use of words such as "think" and "probably" affords the writer full protection against the threat of any and all defamation and/or disinformation lawsuits.

20. txhil macrumors regular

HA!

21. iBunny macrumors 65816

I personally think that Apple will hold off with MBP updates until the early summer (May-June) and release Montevina. They have been hopping on new technology from Intel. Why release a MBP now? and release one again in June. Isn't there a Apple Event like June 11? or something?

I think we will see the announcement then, and it will be worth the wait.

"The All new Re-Designed MacBook Pro" Finally redesigned

Up to 2.93GHz Penryn
    Intel Montevina Chipset
    1066MHz FSB
    Up to 8 GB DDR3-800
    Radeon 3800 Mobility 512MB
    BTO Blu-Ray Burner
    Redsigned Case
    Possible 1900x1200 default for 1080p for Blu-Ray

This is all possible since all PC laptops will have ALL of these options in June/July. I dont see why Apple should be behind the power curve, you know.

22. wwwchrisde macrumors member

I surely won't wait that long to plunge into the Apple market. I need a Mac now so as soon this refresh comes I buy - perhaps next year I'll get a second one or whatever, but the time to buy is tomorrow, less than 20 hours away :apple::eek::apple:

23. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

well according to engadget Nehalem will be ready by the end of 2008 so why not just wait for that. :D

24. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

For intel chips you only need memory half the bus speed. hell we are over specced at 667mhz.

How is that going to be big on a mobile chipset, seems to me you lack understanding of intel's architecture.....

Show me the beneficial gains on desktop or mobile benchmarks of gains in memory speed difference more than half the bus speed.

25. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Next suggested thread title ... Waiting for Godot MacBook Pros.