lithium power bank for late '16 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmesser, Dec 6, 2017.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I am getting a multi-purpose lithium power bank to recharge/run my notebook, iPhone, iPad and planning on using one which can jump start a 12V vehicle. Some of these have switches to select from among three different voltages for their usb charging ports. I was looking for specs on the notebook power supply in hopes of getting info to choose the most compatible power bank for it but the only spec given is that the supply is rated at 87W. Am I correct in thinking that any voltage will work with my battery powered devices and higher voltages will simply charge them faster?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Its a little more complicated than that, all apple products should draw no more power than they need, they will only be faster if there aren't drawing their maximum already, there are some specifically designed to do it all. have a read

http://www.techradar.com/news/top-portable-chargers

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

To charge your MBP at the fastest rate, you’ll need a power supply with a USB-C port that conforms to the USB-PD (Power Delivery) protocol.

4. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link, which gives a good sampling of what's out there. Any chance of damaging a device or its battery by charging with a mismatched power bank?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM ---
    Thanks for the heads up. Several I've looked at feature Qualcom ports.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Always a chance of damaging a device with a rubbish power bank, I would say spend some decent money on it quality of parts and insulation is all important.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems good advice. Will be looking for prices in the range of those of on the tech radar site.