Little OS X Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alumac, Apr 3, 2009.

1. alumac macrumors member

I love that even after 2 years of use, I keep discovering new things about the OS. And these tiny discoveries make a world of difference!

Like today I discovered that when using sliders (like the iTunes song slider, Photoshop sliders, etc), I can reset the slider by moving the mouse away from the slider while holding the mouse button pressed. THIS IS AMAZING!

Please post any observations you've made about other such (tiny) features!

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

If you hold shift whilst doing exposé, dashboard or minimise it will make those actions happen in slow motion.

dragging a widget onto the dashboard whilst holding shift looks sweet :cool:

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's a nice one that has been there since the beginning of OS X.

4. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

does that have a purpose though? why would you ever need that in slow motion?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Steve Jobs used it to demonstrate animations introduced in Mac OS X. It allowed you to see exactly what was going on when minimizing/maximizing windows, etc.

6. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Huh? What do you mean "slider" and "reset?" :confused:

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

plus it's freaking sexy as crap

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The Text Edit and Keynote icons both have a message on them. The Keynote one is hard to make out, but it has been decoded.

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Regarding sliders.

Does nothing with either the navigation slider on an enlarged image or the sliders in the Levels dialogue box.

10.5.6 on a MBP17 in CS3.

10. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Holy crap!

Just looked at TextEdit with Cover Flow. Nice find. :p

"Dear Kate,

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they can change things.

Take Care,
    John Appleseed"

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The Text Edit icon is just this old Apple commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn_Ied9t4M

Another great easter egg, if you have a Windows server on your network, it will show a CRT with a BSOD for the icon.

[​IMG]

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Lyrics to a song, IIRC

13. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

This is one of my favourites, but am I right in saying that it isn't consistent? Sometimes the main file server at university shows the regular LCD monitor for a PC whereas other times it shows the CRT.

14. waffles123 macrumors regular

I believe it shows a PC like the image above when it is connected to a Microsoft PC on network, and an Apple Cinema Display when it is connected to a Mac on a network.

15. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

If you zoom into the preview.app icon, the boy on that picture looks scary. I cannot depict what they are trying to do with that icon...

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, it'll show the PC BSOD anytime it's connected via Samba (Windows filesharing), even if it's a Mac. It will also show the actual icon of whatever Mac it's connected to if it can identify it. My laptop shows up as an Aluminum MacBook, while my wife's is white, and the work computer is an Aluminum iMac.

jW

17. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Sorry what? :confused:

What is the "iTunes song slider" and what does it mean to reset them?

18. mojojojo333 macrumors newbie

ctrl-alt-cmd-8 inverts the colours - any practical reason for this? just looks cool to me.

hold cmd+scroll up - this zooms in no matter what you're doing - quite useful at times

19. parish macrumors 65816

parish

The progress bar at the top of iTunes.

What the OP means is that if you are dragging the slider then, with the mouse button still depressed, move the pointer away from the slider and it "springs back" to where it was when you started dragging - e.g. if you are 55 seconds into a song, drag the slider to 2 mins then move away from the slider it'll jump back to 55 secs.

Personally, I've seen this happen on Windows and Linux. I guess it depends on the toolkit used to create the app's GUI.

Just tried this and it shows my FreeBSD mailserver which shares using Samba with a BSOD - damn cheek!! :D

The biggest surprise about OS X for me (only had my Mac for 3 months) was discovering, on watching a video tutorial on the Apple site, that it is called OS 10 - I always called it Oh Ess Ecks - in fact I still do as I can't get out of the habit :rolleyes: :p

20. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Neither of those work for me - MBP 10.5.6 :confused:

21. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It looks normal in the 512x512 version. Maybe you've been watching too many horror movies with children :p

22. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Completely pointless:
    The iTunes 8 icon has a CD with APPLE 2006 ITUNES 7 written on.

The best easter egg was in the OS X Beta, where hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL would bring up a dialog saying: this isn't DOS!

Sometimes useful:
    [1] Command-clicking on a dock icon will reveal in Finder.
    [2] Command-clicking on the file or folder name (displayed at the top of the window) in Finder and document based applications (e.g. TextEdit, Pages, Photoshop) will show the path to the file.
    [3] In Safari, command-return opens the current address in the location bar in a new tab.
    [4] In expose, hitting tab will cycle through each apps open windows.
    [5] Typing a forward slash or tilde (~) in open/close dialog brings up the Go to Folder dialog immediately.
    [6] Hitting tab in the Go to Folder dialog autocompletes.
    [7] In /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ there is CPU.menu. Click on it and you get a CPU icon in your menu bar. Choose Show Processor Palette. Click on the show toolbar button for more display options.

23. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

24. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Not really an Easter Egg, per se. But somehwere in your .usr/share folder there is a recipe for Mrs. Fields cookies!

25. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

How do you get to the .usr/share folder? I can't find it.