Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Compare iPad/iPhone sales with literally everything else and you'll see how big mobile computing really is. Apple is focused on the right thing here.

They also still make great laptops if that's what you want.

So Apple shouldn't improve the iPad as a productivity tool in terms of making the software more capable because of sales?

I don't care about sales, I care about how easy it is to use my iPad Pro to do work.

Reactions: dilbert99

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
So Apple shouldn't improve the iPad as a productivity tool in terms of making the software more capable because of sales?

I don't care about sales, I care about how easy it is to use my iPad Pro to do work.
I think they have and are improving it. Sorry it doesn’t work for your needs. Other seem to love it since it’s sold more than all other tablets and laptops combined.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I think they have and are improving it. Sorry it doesn’t work for your needs. Other seem to love it since it’s sold more than all other tablets and laptops combined.

Again, it sells as a consumption device primarily. I was talking about work, which is what the iPad Pro is for.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
If someone stands outside the Apple mess and judges these products, as in someone not interested or desperate to buy any of them, the Mac Mini is the singular worthwhile product. They almost did not skimp on anything with this.

Everything else is garnish. Or eye-candy.

Last edited:

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

I was getting frustrated with my phone, doing some typing and then deleted too much text. There is no obvious undo function or if there is it seems to be well buried. I get questions at work that ask why you can’t do some simple things in iOS such as being able to forward ones phone on to a contact. Then once you forward the phone there is no visual indication that it is forwarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SJ Burnett

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Yup. And the bad part is that it is all in there already! It's just a regular UNIX file system under the covers. It looks just like macOS with one of the Mac apps that let you poke around in an iDevice. Just give us one sandboxed folder, "My Documents", and let us do whatever we want in there. We don't need to get to somewhere like /Applications. That's fine. I just don't get it.

I agree - if the iPad is going to be the sort of device I can use - it is going to need a lot more flexibility. My daughter wanted to make films for Youtube and couldn't afford a Mac (and at the moment with the current pro line up she isn't likely to get a hand me down for a while ;-) ). So she got a refurb iPad pro. Initially it was great but she's outgrowing it quite quickly as she gets more ambitious. On most of her films I'm increasingly having to get involved on my Macs and copy stuff of non supported cards and media, generally transcode stuff, copy it to her iCloud, futz around with dropbox and trying to copy stuff back off it - don't get me started. It's such a pain. To cap it all when I go to my video camera I often find as I've started filming she's changed all the settings as she can only edit with very restricted formats. I don't understand why you'd pay laptop prices for one at the moment. (Perhaps these new ones will be hugely more flexible but we'll see...)

SJ Burnett

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Why????
They did well.
If you think you can do better.....

One does not need to be a chef to judge an omlette.
[doublepost=1540982855][/doublepost]
I have to admit: I'm a little disappointed. In the last years I used a MBP Mid 2014, but now I need a new desktop computer and a monitor. I also have to get a new mouse and keyboard, since I do not have anything lying around.

If I add up all prices now, I end up with a ludicrous sum:

(a) Mac mini 3.2 Ghz i7, 8 GB Ram, 512 GB SSD = 1489 Euro;
(b) An update kit for more memory (32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)) = approx. 260 Euro (I would sell the other 8 GB);
(c) LG Ultra Fine 5k Display = 1399 Euro (currently only available in 6-8 weeks)
(d) Apple Magic Keyboard with number pad = 149 Euro
(e) Apple Magic Trackpad 2 = 149 Euro.

In total everything costs me 3446 Euro, minus about 50 Euro, if I sell the built-in RAM for 8 GB. For about 1000 Euro more I can get a refurbished iMac Pro at the Apple Store, which is much better in pretty much everything: 2 cores extra, ECC Ram (although I do not really need it), a much better graphics card, more space on an incredibly fast SSD, 10 GB Ethernet etc. etc.

All in all, the iMac Pro seems to me to be the better choice, at least if it's refurbished. I can even get new iMac Pros with the same equipment from Apple dealers for only a little more money. Sorry, Apple, but I think you really missed the point.

Well, that does miss the point of the Mini - as someone else has already commented, it was launched on two propositions:

1. There may be people who are attached to the old PC model of a box with a screen and keyboard attached.

2. While someone might be ready to pay for the system itself, they might not necessarily be able or willing to splash out on Apple-priced monitor, keyboard or memory to go with it, especially if they have their own monitor and keyboard already.

I fall into both categories. I've never liked all-in-ones. What happens to an iMac when that expensive monitor fails? You're stuck with lugging the whole thing into the MacStore, unless you want to run it with another monitor anyway. The same applies to the system board. You have a large integrated lump with two points of failure, which is a pain to get fixed.

Now looking at your pricing, nobody's making you spend €1400 on a long-delivery monitor; that's your choice, and that was the basis on which the Mini was sold. I myself have a very nice Eizo which I expect to see me through a few more machine upgrades. Similarly, nobody is forcing the Apple keyboard or trackpad on you. I'm very happy with my Filco and Superior Technologies trackball.

And as far as memory is concerned, Apple's proposition when the machine was first marketed was essentially: "Hey, if you want to pay our prices, just max out the memory when you buy and we'll do it all for you. Or you can buy the minimum spec, open it up and do the upgrade yourself." That's what I did, and I imagine many others did the same. Apple even acknowledged this themselves, when they put the hatch on the base of the 2010 model, rather than making us pry the case open with a putty knife. Why do you suppose there was so much anger about the later models becoming less and less accessible, with all those odd shaped screws, etc? (Oh - and, of course, the reduced performance.) Apple does seem to have listened. They've now restored the hatch. You seriously imagine that they don't expect people to use it? Pity they dropped the ball on the SSD, but you can't have it all. And actually - time will tell just how hard it is to replace it. Wait for the youtube videos ...

Last edited:
Reactions: dilbert99

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Why????
They did well.

They did.

Show us what you "did" before asking the stupid question that leads to "Can you do better" or What can you do? This is not a measuring contest of the consumer.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I still do not think you understand Apple does not get its business requirements from an online forum.
Never said it did. I am saying that all companies analyze social media and forums.
  • Oled, wireless charging and water proofing would have been in an iPhone long before the iPhone X.
  • There would be no notch.
  • The phone would be massive due to a huge battery and would include an SD card, FM radio and IR blaster.
  • There would be a ton a of ram included on iPhones.
  • There would have been an announcement of an SE replacement.
  • iOS would be more android like, especially in the ability to downgrade.
  • iPhone prices would be slashed as well as Apple gross margins.
  • Plus a laundry list of other items, such as “input blocking” that literally have been beaten to death in some of these threads.
  • And finally you would enjoy listening to the key notes because your constructive criticism would have be heard by Apple.
Since none of these things happen, I can only conclude Apple has its own ways for processing customer input and it’s not as you believe.
An alternative is that Apple has limited resources and limited products such that it cannot give all customers all things.
Apple has had two designers with such power that what they say goes.
With Steve jobs passing, that gave the opportunity to give some customers what they were asking for - larger phones.
Apple has teams of people that move from product to product which is why we have a lot of the problems that I often mention.
Apple gets lots of things right - this is obvious from how successful they are.
they also get lots of things wrong, like soldering in ram or iOS updates slowing down older hardware.
Apple must also be listening to complaints otherwise they would not have added dimms back in to the mini or taken the time to improve iOS in v12
I agree about the civility, but I don’t have to agree with your opinions and you’re mistaking disagreement with lack of civility.
I don't mind alternative view points and I don't mind discussing them.
What I take objection to is peoples lack of understanding that others may share alternative viewpoints.
There are a set of answers that fans give to "put down" negative view points. The number one argument is if you don't like it go away. This shows a level of immaturity that we normally see in school playgrounds. One should argue on the points in question.

Living in an echo chamber is bad for society.

Reactions: SJ Burnett

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If someone stands outside the Apple mess and judges these products, as in someone not interested or desperate to buy any of them, the Mac Mini is the singular worthwhile product. They almost did not skimp on anything with this.

Everything else is garnish. Or eye-candy.
iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, MacBook Air. Apple hit it out of the park, especially with the iPad Pro.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Most people think they can do better. Whats your point.
[doublepost=1540996119][/doublepost]
iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, MacBook Air. Apple hit it out of the park, especially with the iPad Pro.
May be right, but now we have a new pencil, but no new non iPad pro to go with it.
I was looking to replace some older iPads and don't need iPad Pros, but now in the dilemma that if I get a pencil, I have to buy an older iPad model with older pencil.
I don't understand why Apple couldn't have refreshed all of the iPads to support pencil 2.
I am now in the position where I probably won't update my iPad.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Pretty much agree, I’m picking up and iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, and getting my girlfriend a new
Fully loaded MacBook Air to replace her MacBook, it’s been annoying me for the past year.

Not mention the September event, iPhone XS Max which is a beast, and the Apple Watch series 4. Apple really nailed it this year.

Reactions: I7guy

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Pretty much agree, I’m picking up and iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, and getting my girlfriend a new
Fully loaded MacBook Air to replace her MacBook, it’s been annoying me for the past year.
What does she need the extra ram for? I could understand the need on a pro machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.