Location of 6S power on off button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koans, Nov 30, 2015.

1. koans macrumors newbie

I read that ergonomically it made sense to change the location of the on off switch from the top to the side.

HOWEVER my wife and I call SHENANIGANS on this move. Moving the on off button from the top to the side was a BAD IDEA! Now everytime I power off , my fingers on the other side of the phone incease or decrease the volume unintentionally.. Its freakin IRRITATING!
    Its almost impossible for us to power on or off without pressing the volume control buttons that are located on the opposite side of the phone.
    You need to put the power button back where it belongs.. On the TOP of the phone!

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Get the 6S+. End of problem as the buttons are further up out of the way.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Um no? I have this same issue with my 6S+. I concur with the OP. I call shenanigans as well.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

A top button doesn't make sense in larger phones. I don't even like the top placement on my wife's 5c.

As far as the buttons being opposite each other, you'll get used to it and before long, it won't be an issue anymore and you'll forget it ever was.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

When I'm holding the 6S+ my fingers are nowhere near the power or volume buttons.
    Then when I wish to use the power button I just move my thumb up and press it. My middle finger, the closest to the volume buttons, is still a good centimetre or more lower than the lowest volume button during this procedure.

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Agreed. Much ado about nothing. Retrain the muscle memory and Bob's your uncle.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

But most people use their left hand to hold the phone (right handers) and press the buttons with their right. Then when turning it off with the middle finger the thumb changes the volume. :(

8. buckawheat macrumors member

Ok everyone. Get your brooms.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I just tried holding the phone with my left hand and pressed the power button using my middle finger with ease. My thumb wasn't touching the volume buttons. This was one-handed, so surely by using two hands it would be simplicity in itself to avoid button mishaps.:rolleyes:

10. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Somewhat in Apple's defense, it's hard to reach the top button on such big phones. But you're right, I'm shocked this basic ergonomic decision to put it directly opposite the volume rocker made it past the first round of prototyping. I saw this as soon as they reveled the product shots. Lo and behold I use one and I mistakenly click the wrong button with frustrating ease. I've ended up clicking the power button when changing the volume too.

The 6 series has a laundry list of basic design failures.

11. giancarlo007 macrumors member

Totally agree! I thought I was the only one! 2
    Months of 6s ownership coming from 5s and not getting used to it!

12. Conan86 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same experience but I prefer it being on the side still. I've used the HTC One M8 before and having that button on top is worse. I only happen to press the volume together with the standby when it's lying on a surface, it's not an issue when I'm using the phone proper.

I've changed my habit of locking my phone when it's lying down somewhere by using the assistive touch soft keys.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Most right handers I know use it in their right hand when they are using it one-handed and with that the power button is perfectly placed to be reached with just a slight movement of the right thumb.

When using it with two hands then the power button is still usually pressed with one of the fingers on the right hand (while the phone is gripped with the left to hold it steady).

14. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I'm not shocked. Look at the iPhone compared to the latest Samsung phones. The buttons, ports, speaker holes, are all lined up perfectly. Look at Samsung's, and none of them are located on the same axis. Apple did it for cosmetic reasons.

Here's Samsung-
    [​IMG]

Apple-
    [​IMG]

15. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Not to stir a debate on the merits of right / left hand phone usage, if I'm using my phone to perform dexterous tasks (typing etc) I'll mostly use my right hand. If I'm making a call, I always use my left hand so my dominant hand is still available. I've not really thought about it until this very moment. :p

16. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

When gripping the phone have your fingers lower than your thumb. It's not really hard.

17. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

I wish Apple would give us instructions on how to hold our phones, every time they release a new design ;)

18. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I think the power button is too far up the side of the phone on the 6S+, I struggle to reach it with my thumb while using the phone and I don't have small hands.

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It makes perfect sense to have it on the side. Having the power button on top of any phone larger than the 4s and maybe 5 is bad placement. It's the main reason I hated the HTC ONE M7. I'm not sure how you hold a phone, but the side placement is almost perfect to me.

When it's on the side, you can rotate your thumb down to the home button and back to the power button without really changing your grip. With it on top. You have to move all the way up and basically turn the device upside down to reach a top power button.

Attached Files:

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Ever heard of switching your grip? Why does the power button need to be so instantly accessible anyway? I hardly ever use mine.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Unless you both have extremely limited dexterity it's certainly possible.

We're not Apple. Good luck with getting them to change.

22. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

If I'm switching my grip to hit the high up bottom it may as well be on top of the phone, it's perfect with the 4.7" iPhone but it is too high on the Plus model.

So you never lock your phone?

23. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

From a landscape orientation standpoint, I prefer the on/off button on the side as opposed to the top. When I was playing landscape games on the 5, I was hitting the on/off button too often.

24. dazb69 macrumors newbie

dazb69

I'm used to in on the side now, however I do still occasionally catch the volumes buttons.