Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvg19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
Hi All,

I'm looking to get a new MacBook Pro for the purpose of producing music using Logic Pro X. I will be working mostly with recording live vocals and using a MIDI keyboard for software instruments. I want to be able to install plenty of plugins without latency. I don't see myself having an insane number of tracks for any one project.

Screen size aside, which of these would be best to purchase?

3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 (16GB, SSD) (Oct 2016)

OR

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7 (16GB, SSD) (May 2015)

Thank you, in advance, for any advice you can lend! :)

Yasser94

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Logic Pro X was released 4 years ago and systems back then were able to handle it fine.
With 16 GB ram and an SSD both of those systems will run Logic Pro X lovely.
Yet I would advice you going for the Quad core
• The screen real estate is lovely on logic(I often missed a bigger screen on my 13" MBP using Logic Pro)
• Heavier projects using a bunch of plugins/effects,... Will run smoother because you have more cores to process them
• Future proof yourself for bigger projects

Basically option 1 will get you faster results on smaller projects, but once you go into details on something and add a lot of tracks/plugins the quad core will be able to handle it way smoother.

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
For audio-work, I'd say go with the Quad-i7! While I haven't used an i5, I did have Logic installed on the Macbook with an m5 chip and those really did begin to crumble after adding a few DSP intensive synths or reverbs.

You never know when you'd want to add an Orchestra as a backing track. :p

jvg19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
Thank you both very much for your replies! Looks like the Quad-Core is the best bet for what I'll be doing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.