Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today introduced its newest home security camera with HomeKit Secure Video support, the new Circle View. The Circle View Camera offers crisp, 1080p video capture with a 180-degree diagonal field of view.

circleview1.jpg

According to Logitech, the Circle View features a wide dynamic range for more detail in sunlight or shadows. Like existing Logitech Circle cameras, the Circle View features an infrared night vision camera so it can continue to record in the dark, offering full-field visibility up to 15 feet away.

The design is similar to the Circle 2, but it is made from black aluminum with a new base design. The camera can tilt downwards when needed for privacy, and it can be placed on a shelf or mounted on a wall. Available to use indoors or out, it has a weatherproof body and a microphone and speaker for two-way communication in the Logitech Circle app.

circleview2.jpg

Logitech has in the past offered cameras that are battery powered, but the Circle View is a wired option because it records continuously.

The Circle View Camera supports Apple's HomeKit Secure Video, so it does not rely on Logitech's cloud services. With HomeKit Secure Video, recorded footage is encrypted and stored in iCloud. Video can be viewed from the Circle View Camera in the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Unlocking full functionality will require a home hub, which includes a HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad running the latest software from Apple.

There are no monthly fees associated with HomeKit Secure Video, but it does require a 200GB or 1TB iCloud storage plan. 200GB is needed for a single camera, while multiple cameras require the 1TB storage option. Apple prices its 200GB iCloud storage plan at $2.99 per month and its 1TB storage plan at $9.99 per month.

Though HomeKit Secure Video requires a higher-tier iCloud storage plan, video stored in the cloud does not count against your iCloud storage totals.

circleview3.jpg

All video is secured with end-to-end encryption with video analysis done on device rather than in the cloud. The camera can detect the presence of a person, animal, or vehicle before video footage is saved.

The Circle View can be purchased for $159.99 from the Logitech website or from Apple's online store starting today.

Article Link: Logitech Launches New Circle View Camera With HomeKit Secure Video Support

jafd

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
Wonder if this camera can work without any cloud service at all, on a local network only.

If Logitech decides one day it's going to shut down servers to which those cameras phone as soon as they are on a network, they are $159.99 pucks.

Reactions: centauratlas

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I guess we have to imagine what the 180 degree view looks like because the product website doesn't show any examples! But if we wondered what it would look like if the lens exploded, there is a picture of that!

Reactions: Vege-Taco

adamdport

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
Wyzecams are $26 shipped with no subscriptions and even comes with 12 seconds/event of free cloud storage. If you want "complete motion capture" to upload more than 12 seconds to the cloud, it's $1.50/mo/camera. I'm sure this logitech camera is "better" in every way, but imo it's hard to compete with Wyze's business model.

Reactions: Edsel

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Yeah, the Circle 2 HomeKit support is an absolute disaster. This will likely be the same.
I have one, but not had any issues at all? HomeKit in the cloud works great too, and Logitech even kindly cancelled my subscription to their service when I enabled it.

Had nothing but positive experiences with Logitech in general, gear's generally good quality.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wonder if this camera can work without any cloud service at all, on a local network only.

If Logitech decides one day it's going to shut down servers to which those cameras phone as soon as they are on a network, they are $159.99 pucks.
It seems to run on Apple's servers. Apples $2.99 a month storage plan is now 200 GB storage, _plus_ any storage that one of these devices uses.
[automerge]1589808784[/automerge]
Why is everyone and their mother making camera products nowadays?
To make money.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I have one, but not had any issues at all? HomeKit in the cloud works great too, and Logitech even kindly cancelled my subscription to their service when I enabled it.

Had nothing but positive experiences with Logitech in general, gear's generally good quality.
Just take a look here...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Sold!

I've been looking to replace my DropCams, now owned by Nest, now owned by Google. None of the cameras I've seen with HomeKit video looked to be from companies I think would be around for long, leaving me without support. Logitech ain't going anywhere, this camera has HomeKit Secure Video and is beautiful and the price is reasonable. Done!

Reactions: wilhoitm

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
See no reason to replace Circle 2 with this device.
Cash grab it seems by Logitech. Have had no issues with Circle 2 and HSV. Also enjoy them being plugged into my outlets.

Reactions: trifero

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
No 5Ghz WiFi? No POE option? Nope.

PoE would make this thing perfect.
No 5GHz is just strange, likely means it’s 802.11n which is ancient.
[automerge]1589809351[/automerge]

Thats where the HomeKit secure video comes in. I don’t see that going away, then I don’t care what Logitech does on their end.
I’m hoping Ubiquiti offers Homekit for their cameras.

Reactions: centauratlas

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Maybe focus on producing the back ordered webcams first before introducing even more camera products.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
What actually has changed since last one apart from different colour it’s the same

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Why is everyone and their mother making camera products nowadays?
Because this sort of camera tech was around a decade ago for $500. It's since been commoditized, so that a $150 is probably $15 in parts, and excluding packaging/branding/software (I know....), $135 in profit, plus the chance to grab one of those sweet sweet reoccurring subscription fees.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
PoE would make this thing perfect.
No 5GHz is just strange, likely means it’s 802.11n which is ancient.
[automerge]1589809351[/automerge]

yup, not even ac, let alone ax support for the current developing standard.

no PoE makes this not great...im struggling to pick a camera system for a business. It seems that Nest now has made their subscription service include all the cameras for one price rather than all cameras are a fee on the subscription.

Granted, my customers would probably not be too giddy about a security system integrated with Google.

I'd get a better response with an "homecooked" solution, ex: cameras connected to a closed network with local redundant storage. Don't get to view anything remotely but no one worries about their personal security or face being logged by a company that very obviously sells individual's data.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
Circle 2 reliability didn't impress me. Here's hoping they got it right this time.

meduk1

macrumors member
May 30, 2008
This looks really good. Does the Homekit Secure Video put all of the functionality side of the camera (face identification, geo-location based modes etc) onto Apple and your home hub rather than needing anything from Logitech?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.