Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
For those lucky enough reservations was key. Went yesterday evening at the Palm Beach Gardens Mall and took about 15 minutes to get into the store, but there were walkins still in line from 12 A.M. I felt bad for them...a little bit :p

Loving loving loving the new phone. Came from a 3G. Beautiful super clear screen, speed is amazing, especially in taking pictures..super quick. I have not necessarily been able to reproduce the signal issue, I sort of was able to at home but I don't get great reception living right by the airport, but here at work I can fully grasp the phone and the bars don't move an inch. I am certainly not licking my freaking hand like I've been reading other places to try to reproduce it.

Otherwise, the phone has been an absolute joy. I get to really test out the camera and video this weekend going to Universal and hopefully checking out the Harry Potter rides at Islands of Adventure :D:apple:

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
How about a round of even allowing me to pre-order the white one?

I've said it time and again, I don't care if you send the damn thing to me in October, I just want to get my name on the list so that whenever they're available, I'll be good to go.

thehitmanj

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Walked into the Brighton store this morning and picked up a 32GB iphone 4. There was no queue and I had a choice of assistants to help. Transaction completed within 10 minutes, couldn't be happier, apart from trying to get a Vodafone micro-sim...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

yg17 said:
A bunch of idiots waiting in line for a defective product...

Except that: a) some phones don't exhibit the issue, b) some do but only as much as other phones like the 3GS or N1, and c) some people don't hold their phones in such a way that it matters.

I agree that it's a problem and not a "non-issue," but you're oversimplifying in the other direction.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I waited for about 2 hours for the first one but couldn't get in and gave up. It was fun though. Don't know that I'd spend 6+ hours at it, let alone overnight, but it's a pretty good time with like-minded people. Nothing wrong with it. (ended up getting the 2G 2 days later with no wait, skipped the 3G, and preorded the 3GS. I might skip this one depending on what develops with the reported issues. The 3GS with ios 4 is so good that I don't feel much techno-lust for the new one).

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
That picture does not do that queue justice. I was in that queue for 6-7 hours yesterday, I just made it in before closing at 10 and there were hundreds of people behind me who were turned away.

10pm?! Did they not run out of phones yesterday? Or do they have a really big stock level?

PhoneyBoy

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
It'd be nice if you could still get in the store to buy other things while this mess is going on. I was told last night (8:00pm) that I would not be able to enter the store, unless I wait inline, and purchase an iPhone 4.

There was no problem at the Apple Store - Trafford Centre.
I waited 1 hour for my upgrade to a 32GB iPhone 4 at the O2 store, the wandered over to the Apple Store for a bumper.

The wait there was 2-3 hours for pre-ordered, full price, SIM free phones.
They were quite happy for shoppers to go in and shop for other things, in fact buying the bumper an dock was really quick, no queue at the tills at the back of the store.

PhoneyBoy

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010

It's all part of the fun and buying experience.
I had a great time in the queue, chatting to other Apple and iPhone fans.
There was a real sense of occasion.
We know it is not the end of the world or something important, it was fun.

herbman

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Boston Back Bay store - lined up at 7:30. Store opened at 8, got a phone (non-reserved) in hand by 8:15, and if not for att shenanigans would have been out in another 15, but it took 30. Either way it was relatively empty compared to yesterday.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Wow...

Humans have never looked more like cattle. So much for "Think Different." :confused:

I can understand the excitement the first time around, maybe. But now it's just a sad comment on our vacant society.

Have a good day!:D

Troll is troll.

dogzilla

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
A bunch of idiots waiting in line for a defective product...

I know, right? If only the world listened and did exactly as you said! It must terrible to be ignored by millions while you stand there shaking your tiny little fists in anger, because obviously everyone buying an iPhone must have exactly the same needs and wants as you. What a bunch of morons to not immediately follow your sage advice. I feel the same way about BMWs - whenever I see someone driving one I force them to pull over, get right in their face and start screaming about what an idiot they are for spending all that money on a product I don't like. And clearly all BMW owners are brainwashed - you know not a single one of them has ever thanked me? BMW Fanbois are the worst!

gadgetgirlnyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
NYC
To each their own. Plenty of people line up for hours or even days to be the first to see a big title movie or buy tickets to a rock concert. This really isn't any different, it's their time and their money so who are we to judge what they do with it. I don't see the point in waisting money going to night clubs or bars and drinking, but I certainly don't begrudge those who do.

I hear that! I stood in line for 5 hours to get tickets to see 30 Seconds To Mars. I did not give a S***, because in the end I got to see Jared Leto up close & personal (Yummy). So hey more power to anybody that wants to stand in line (it's their business). Do what makes you happy. :D

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
How the F@&K are they shipping the July 2 shipments when they haven't fulfilled the orders for those of us who ordered on the 15th? This is BS.

Well I pre-ordered mine on the 15th (7:30 PM PST) and had a July 2 ship date. My status changed thursday to shipped and I will have mine on Tuesday morning. Not everyone that got a July 2 ship date ordered after the 15th. I was stuck in that never ending cannot connect to apple store loop for the majority of the day and I woke up at 5 AM to try to get one ordered early!

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Still won't forget, my mom waited in line on Day 1 to get me an iPhone 2G as a present. She still doesn't have one (and doesn't want one).

I think people have different reasons for doing it. I don't think we have to be dicks and say they're dumb or misdirected.

satelshawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Too many people unemployed getting a check from Obama... why not go wait
for an iPhone 4? am i rite? lol

Uhh no, as there haven't been any unemployment benefits for several weeks now. That was the easiest way to send the Tea Baggers home, no unemployment benefits mean no money for them to keep funding their protesting and no money to buy iPhones.

tigerphilosophy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
MD
My Experience - Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

So I was one who couldn't get through to pre-order / pre-reserve and decided to wait in line opening day. Mall security said no one allowed on the property until 5:45 am. I arrived at 5 am to find a throng had already lined up :mad:. Lesson learned.

I had the only portable chair that rocked :cool: - a life saver under such conditions.

Store opened at 7. By lunch time - noon, the line slowly moved, and I decided not to abandon hope. At 12 pm, I was #300 in the non-reserve line by my count, and that line looked about 800 deep. The other reserved line looked about 3 times as long -- and people kept coming. At one point it was even more agonizingly slow to get in because the servers to activate phones crashed. Finally Apple got smart and removed the iPhone 4 display models off the tables which helped move people out of the store sooner.

The rate was about 4 people taken from the reserved line for every person in my non-reserved line :( --- and *&@# anyone whining about us getting in because we couldn't all get a reservation on June 15th :mad:.

I figured out there would be some people like me wanting to quit, and found someone 100 bodies ahead willing to sell their spot :p. Some people got $150 for their spot, I paid $72. After 13 hours wait, I got my phone in hand at 6 pm - and only because I paid to jump ahead. Note - in this *&@# liberal state, someone did complain to the line security about me :mad:, but when apple security asked the people around me as to whether it was OK with them (WTF?), they all said it's cool - Again I ask, WTF? Time is money and capitalism works! :cool:

Anyway, I am n.e.v.e.r. doing that again. Poor people in the other line. The store is oriented such that our line stretched around the west and south side with shade awnings and we had the more interesting view of the street and stores, so we had cool shade the whole time whereas the reservation line went to the back parking lot in full sun and no shade awnings the whole time :eek: (umbrellas aren't as good as shade from the building).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.