Looking at iPhone OS 3.0 (sorry, no pics though, NDA!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alchemistmuffin, Mar 15, 2009.

1. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

With iPhone OS 3.0 preview coming up within next couple of days, I can share this:

Couple of days ago, my friend who works at Apple HQ in Cupertino sent me some of the screenshot for upcoming iPhone OS 3.0.

Sadly, attached with the email was also a PDF of NDA, which I had to sign and mail back. Therefore, I can't share the actual screenshot.

However, I can describe it to you, since Kevin Rose described it on live Diggnation. (which my friend attended, he's a huge fan of Diggnation)

First, the copy and paste. Kevin Rose got that right on! It is exactly how it works. However, Apple, always scared of battery issue, has limited the copy and paste to certain apps, such as Mail, Safari, etc. This is because iPhone and iPod touch uses lot of power on memory, therefore, the copy and paste is limited. But the how it works is exactly how Kevin Rose described it.

Now, the background process. The word is that Push Notification was failure. It did not work exactly as planned. Therefore, there will be a limited background support, up to 3 apps (may subject to change). The limit is to prevent iPhone from draining the battery like crazy hell.

Finally, redesign of the home screen. Not much changes, except users can now put personal background on the home screen, as well as adding more apps to the dock, expanding the limit from four to about seven, and stacks to organize the apps. This is how Apple will let users organize apps on the iPhone.

Now, my friend also sent me shots of what is the next iPhone. Someone already posted this pic, but the next iPhone will have a shell that is full unibody, carved from one aluminum. This means plastic will be gone (hopefully)

That's all I can share. Let's hope what I got on the email is right on for Mar. 17.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sounds very cool. I can definitely live with 3 or so background apps. I don't need an unlimited amount of background apps. The bottom row description is fine. Can you confirm or deny that there will be a common area for files, like PDFs or text files that can be accessed by any app? That what I really want.

It seems like the unibody form factor is going to be the biggest hardware change.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's just so abysmally horrible...:p

The design could very well change in three months, albeit slightly.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Do you really dislike that design? I think it looks pretty good. It even won in a poll posted a while back.

6. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I can see it now
    "The new iPhone, only $999* and 0 bars everywhere!

*Price Subject to change. Price only reflects 8Gb with 2 year contract. $1399 MSRP"

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Sweet!!! This is one of the many things me, and other people, have been waiting for.
    I already know the 3 apps I would use for PUSH.

Although... what about flash?:p

8. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Sounds promising but after all this time i'm still expecting more for a new iPhone. hopefully there's more details to come.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Exactly. I mean, whatever happened to 'oh no, we couldn't use metal on the 3G due to radio interference' ... ?

11. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i just want landscape text and email, the 3 apps in the background is fine and better app organization is a must, copy paste would be nice too

12. alchemistmuffin thread starter macrumors 6502

the design of the new iPhone will still have the curved back, but it will be aluminum design.

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Not perfect but I'd settle for what the OP mentioned.

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

If this is true (it sounds legit. not like some "I saw the new iPhone, and it shoots lasers" posts) than I hope there is more than what you saw. I was really, REALLY hoping for a new notification service similar to the Palm Pre. That parts just beautiful

15. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

That's my poll :) And that 3.0 would be soooo sweet

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Companies don't give out NDAs to employee's friends.

What does the battery have to do with it? Limiting to certain apps would be more because they hadn't gotten around to rewriting them.

Again, this would not make sense. The amount of battery used does not depend on the number of background apps, but on their activity. Moreover, memory limits could come into play first.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Was it ever apple who actually said that?

/rhetorical

18. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

19. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i just got an email from steve jobs confirming what the op says

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thank god, now whos gonna report this to arn as a confirmation?:p

21. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Sounds pretty sketchy... but those are welcome improvements if true. I just hope they are a little more extensive than that.

22. sd2009 macrumors 6502

So he sent you the screenshot along with an NDA for you to sign, before you had signed it?

Haha right.

23. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Why the hell would a company that you don't even work for ask you to sign a NDA? And why would your friend who works there and so would have also signed a NDA even send it to you in the first place.

Sorry......I call BS.