Looking for alternatives to Mac since Arrandale won't come out thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZSamuels28, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ZSamuels28 macrumors member

Hey guys... wondering what you are thinking of getting if MBP Arrandale doesn't come out on Tuesday....

I'm thinking probably a Sony Vaio F for gaming...
    I still want some battery life and some portability otherwise I'd get an alienware...
    I know a lot of you are checking out the Vaio Z....

Let me know...

2. kojiroshinkara macrumors newbie

I didn't think you were serious, lol. I would go for something in the HP line if I wasn't going MBP, that or Toshiba. Both make very stable and long lasting laptops, that often have a good mix of power and battery life.

3. ZSamuels28 thread starter macrumors member

Meh... but the only Toshibas that are good for gaming are the Qosimos and their like 10 lbs.... HUGE omg....

Haven't taken much look at the HPs....

I don't think they can compare to the F though... link me some laptops though if you know of some

4. alskdj macrumors member

5. rumpus macrumors member

Just curious, what's the problem discussing this in the Arrandale thread ? We really don't need another one..

6. ZSamuels28 thread starter macrumors member

The arrandale thread is about rumors and about macs... not supposed to talk about alternatives there.... mods will close it down if it gets, "off topic"

EW Gaming on an 11 inch screen EW

A few problems with the HP....

it cannot upgrade past the NVIDIA 230M GT...

Sony F has the
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU

Also... The HP is just as expensive.... and the Blue Ray drive is like $200....
    It just doesn't look as good as Sony...
    Plus... My brother has had a vaio for 6 years... never seen an HP laptop last that long lol

I just looked at the Vaio F.....
    6.9 Pounds... Ouch....
    I guess with any of these "gaming" computers you're gonna get a computer that weighs that much....

7. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Vaio F display is not great, IMO

8. DrummerB macrumors member

Why is half of the threads called something with "... thread"? This is a message board, what else could it be? :confused:

OP: Get the current MBP

9. Machunterx2591 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there are laptops with Ati 5750m - 5850m in them, or the latter ATI cards with core i7s? The geforce cards tend to get a tad warm in my opinion...

10. complexcommunic macrumors regular

What is the best laptop out there with i7? I'm talkin' quality and specs. As far as I'm aware, HP's and Dell's are really low quality, and Toshiba doesn't have very great specs... So I guess it kind of comes down to a Sony, yeah?
    How does a vaio F series compare to the rumored specs of the MBP? Also what's the quality like? I know it isn't anywhere near the quality of a mac, but I at least need something.

11. gagaliya macrumors 6502

i dont understand why any of you want to get a overpriced mbp when there are tons of good pc laptop out there at half the price. For me i have no choice because iphone development can only be done on a mac. But if all you are using the mbp is for games/movies etc..you must be nuts to pay 2x for a mbp...

12. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

Sweet thread Zach, I had no idea you were this addicted ^_^

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The HP pavillion dv7-3085 with the quad core has been said to overheat. BB might still have the user review still up too...

Is Macrumors now a cheap windows-laptop dealer forum?

14. boutthemapples macrumors newbie

Asus G73

I've been reading about the G73JH-A2 over on notebookreview.com. The specs on that thing are amazing for the money. i7-720qm, HD5870, 8mb ram, 2 500gb 7200 hdds for $1,549 on xoticpc. Looks like it's going to be backordered a while though.

15. Chromide macrumors newbie

I am going to LoL so hardcore if MBPs with Arrandale come out on Tuesday...

But on topic I myself really like the Sony Vaio Z. The HPs with the i7 are also pretty nice. Aside from that I haven't really looked much since I am not in much of a hurry. (don't have teh cash yet :confused:)

16. Waldszenen macrumors member

I love the VAIO F. Supposedly the display isn't great but I've never seen a single thing wrong with it. If the new MBP isn't out in two weeks I'm getting one of them instead.

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I had a 27" iMac, and a hackintosh netbook as the portable which became unreliable. Have been waiting since the new year for the new MBP or MBA... and I insist not buying the current models.

I ended up buying a used black MB from ebay. My plan is use it until late summer when Apple offers the back-to-school promo, and then sell the black MB. My lost from buy/resell will be much less on a used MB, compared to the current version MBP or MBA.

18. Raje macrumors member

19. ydaf macrumors member

I got the Sager NP8690 and it's been great so far. I have the 5870 card and it idles in the high 40s to low 50s. I got a Core i7 -820QM with it and that idles in the mid 40s. It's a plain looking notebook but extremely powerful and quiet. If battery life was better I would give it 10/10 but I can't expect much better with top of the line parts in it.

20. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

It's hilarious to me that the m11x keeps getting mentioned, often times by people who whine about how outdated the C2D is.

21. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

i currently have an HP laptop from 2004 sitting around. works perfectly fine, and absolutely nothing is broken except for the battery lasting around 15-20 minutes, which is not bad at all considering its has practically been plugged in for 6 years straight.

22. alskdj macrumors member

I ended up getting a c2d mbp :p

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I really like thinkpads but they are not for gaming.

24. entity macrumors regular

I would probably get the HP EliteBook 8540w.

Pros:
    - Military grade casing - a Brillo pad cannot scratch it
    - USB 3.0
    - ATI FirePro/NVIDIA Quadro discrete gfx - FirePro coming in a month or so
    - 3 year warranty with on-site included
    - Same price as a MBP if not cheaper
    - Optional BD drive

Cons:
    - Weight
    - No MBP elegance
    - We haven't seen Apple's latest yet

I'm impartial to OSX vs. Windows 7. I'll use either in any given circumstance.

I've convinced myself to stick with Apple though.

25. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

Maybe for the OSX.;)