Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMike84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hi,

I am currently in the market to purchase a new ultra portable computer. I was really hoping that Apple would update their line of MacBook Airs at the WWDC conference but the update is so minimal that I'm not sure whether I should go for the macbook even though it's way more expensive..

MacBook Air:
Pros: I am getting a larger screen and more ports all around, less expensive.
Cons: limited to 8GB of ram, lower resolution screen, heavier than the new MacBook

New MacBook:
Pros: 16GB ram, retina screen, light, very portable.
Cons: has only a single port, way more expensive.

I'm also thinking about just getting an XPS13 from Dell, since price wise it's very similar and seems like more utilitarian than a MacBook but our house is all Apple right now..

The computer will be for very light use documents and browsing. I've reached the limits of my iPad for my school needs so that's why I'm looking at getting a computer.

Thanks!

CatherineVeraGat

Suspended
May 6, 2017
Just get the MacBook 12in version. With the things that you want to do with your device a MacBook 12in will be more than enough powerful for your needs.

If you want more ports, you can always buy a dongle that has 3 USBs, HDMI, and a SD Card slot, or you can look around to see if their is different ports that you will fit better for your needs.

The MacBook 12-inch is $1,299, while at that same price you can get an MacBook Pro 13.3 inch for the same price. It has two USB Type-C ports, but you will get a much more powerful processor on the base model. The only drawback is that the MacBook Pro has 128GB of storage while at the same price the 12-inch MacBook has 256GB of storage. Both has 8GB of memory with the option to upgrade to 16GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.