Looking for Compact SUV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Nov 26, 2013.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My wife wants to replace her Rav4 with a similar size (new, not German) compact SUV. Looking at the rankings (US News, Consumer Reports :rolleyes:, etc), the Honda CR-V looks like the best deal. We're starting to make a list of what to look at. So far it's

Acura RDX
    Honda CR-V
    Mazda CX-5 (wife loves that it comes in red, her favorite color)

Things we have eliminated:
    Anything German (we want to keep the thing for some time)
    Toyota Rav4 (Toyota did nothing right in designing this model)

Everything else is fair game. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

4. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Thanks for the feedback!

My boss drives an Escape and likes it a lot. I would have to convince my wife to look at a Ford, which wouldn't be too hard.

I grew up driving Chevys so I appreciate the Equinox. I'm hoping they refresh the face soon (like the Traverse) but doesn't seem super likely.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Subaru Forester. The new 2014 redesign has been selling like crazy... I keep seeing tweets that Subaru keeps breaking their own sales records. It's one of the top rated SUVs across the board and one of the only that's IIHS Top Safety Pick+. Motor Trend picked it as SUV of the year. Gets up to 32MPG too.

The Honda CR-V is really nice too. My mom owns one and she loves it.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the CX-5 is great, EXCEPT for the built-in Tom-Tom navigation system which is flat-out horrible.

7. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Forester OR Outback. They're similar size but even the not-yet-restyled Outback has slightly better interior finishing than the Forester. The Outback will still get 30+ MPG (4-cylinder), I've gotten 33 in my 2011 doing 75+. I also think the Outback looks nicer on the outside. It also gets the same IIHS crash ratings the Forester does except for small overlap front (and still better than the CR-V in that one).

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They're both great vehicles. I'm partial to the Forester cause I'm not a huge fan of the wagon style like the Outback but they are great cars too. I actually own a Legacy (09) which is built on the same platform as the Outback and it's the best car I've ever owned.. I love it. There's not many sedans that can drive though 12-18'' snow drifts without any problems.

Subaru also has the new XV Crosstrek which is essentially an Impreza with a lift kit and bigger wheels. It's smaller than the other two obviously, but if you're looking for something small, it's a great choice. It get a little bit better MPG than the Forester and Outback because of this, and it comes in a Hybrid if you really want good fuel economy.

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I drive a CR-V and have no issues with it (although mine is the older model). I would recommend it.

13. hallux, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I heard the hybrid in the XV isn't all it's cracked up to be.

For others, I brought up the Outback as it seems many cross-shop the Outback with the CR-V, Highlander and RAV-4.

If AWD is important to you, see this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOmZIu_y1js The Forester is tested in the video but it's the same AWD system as the Outback.

I should add, the CVT in the Outback/Legacy and now in the Impreza and Forester is absolutely WONDERFUL to drive. I'm not sure if the one in the Impreza and Forester is the same as in my Outback but it is absolutely smooth when driving as there are ZERO shifts (unless you go to manual and use the paddles for the 6 pre-programmed ratios). Nail the gas while moving and it just spools the engine, no harsh kick from the downshift.

14. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Seeing that the OP is in Texas, I'm guessing AWD is not a priority. Otherwise, it's the Forester without question.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The Equinox is being redesigned for 2016 MY.

Frankly out of the two I prefer the GMC Terrain to the Equinox. But, my mom loves her 2013 Equinox AWD. On a trip to NYC, I managed 35 MPG on the return trip.

16. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Don't need bad weather to need AWD. Some people like going places that require dirt road driving to access them. Also, Texas HAS had snow and ice, look at what happened when the Super Bowl was in Dallas a couple years ago. AWD also helps with driving stability in rain.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Volvo XC60
    Safe and reliable.
    [​IMG]
    Comes in red too. Happy wife happy life :p

18. jmiddel macrumors member

CRV or Forrester. The latter is the only one with a manual transmission, a six speed.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

20. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You ain't kidding, man. Thanks everyone for your replies. Never thought of the Subarus, but this new Gen Forester looks fantastic

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ford Escape…puhleeze.

Ford recalls 2013 Escape SUVs for seventh time

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not 7 times for one model year.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I like the Toyota Venza, but it is pricey. USNews Best Cars link. One thing to consider when purchasing U.S. vs everyone else (unless you plan on keeping the car forever) is resale value. U.S. products as a whole seem to fair poorly as compared to other brands. Recently traded in an 8 year old Nissan Murano for $11000. I assume it's retail value is around $14000. I don't know if this supports my premise or not. :)

[​IMG]

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The Venza's great if you like an uglified Highlander. And the Highlander is just bland…. :p