Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Does this mean I will be able to watch mlb.com and nfl.com?

I really enjoy watching the games graphical interface with live streaming.

It's not the actual video stream, but they show pictures of who's batting or who just had a great play on the gridiron.

Do you think by adding 'Flash' will make this possible?

Maybe I am also thinking Java Applets.

Either way, it seems to me like a step in the right direction.

Your thoughts...

:apple:PEACE:apple:

I believe some of those sites do use Java, but I'm sure they could accomplish the same thing in flash.

My biggest reason (and not a very common one I will admit) is for work. once I'm logged into the VPN I need java to some network resources that I need, and to connect to my workstation.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
why type of programming language does the iphone use?

I don't think anyone here really knows (If I had to throw a random guess I'd say objective C )
but I'm pretty sure anyone who really does know is bound by a NDA.

Phippster

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Great, that means Safari will crash more often

Flash crashes my Desktop Safari at least once a day. Why the heck do I want that to happen on my iPhone too? Please keep Safari "flash-free" until Adobe gets their act together. There's nothing I've ever seen in flash that can't be done in another open technology.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I don't think anyone here really knows (If I had to throw a random guess I'd say objective C )
but I'm pretty sure anyone who really does know is bound by a NDA.

I don't think that any of the iPhone dev team ever signed an NDA, but I would imagine they all know. I have never looked it up, but you are probably right that it's Objective-C.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
What I wonder is, how will you do the equivalent of a "mouseover" on Flash content with an iPhone/Touch? There is no mouse arrow to move around, and so touching anything made in Flash would register as a "click," not a "mouseover."

Actually, I run into this problem occasionally on my iPhone with regular web pages that utilize mouseovers in Javascript, too... such as Flickr photos that have information embedded in the photo that you're supposed to mouseover to activate. It'd be nice if Apple addressed this at some point, too.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I don't think that any of the iPhone dev team ever signed an NDA, but I would imagine they all know. I have never looked it up, but you are probably right that it's Objective-C.

you may be right about the iPhone dev team not needing to sign an NDA, but I'm pretty sure any 3rd party folks outside of Apple would have. I don't know how Apple does their employee contracts, but I know where I work all employees are basically bound to not speak of products until they are announced. oddly enough we can talk about technologies that go it to the products but not the products them selves. (yes confusing I know, but that's ho the legal-beagle folks wanted it I guess)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I'm just curious how it would work on the iPhone, and how it will run. I have a Rev A CoreDuo MacBook and if you're on any Flash-heavy web page the fans whirl up and the CPU's temperature increases. I really hope they thought of this with the iPhone. (How could they not of?) :rolleyes:

I don't need my iPhone turning into one giant hot heatsink every time a page loads a few Flash banner ads. :p But as a Flash animator I'd love to be able to load my web site on my iPhone to show people some stuff on the go. :)

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
I don't really know that Flash on the iPhone is such a good idea. I think it will consume too much, and as others have said Safari is already quite happy to crash.

Apple did a good job in creating a very complete internet experience on the iPhone, but they may be wise in holding some features off until a more powerful iPhone is ready.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
While that is 100% true there is also the reality that Flash enjoys machines with RAM and lots of CPU horse power. Better hardware would lead to a better user experience.

Flash is perfectly do-able on small devices. It's been running on old Nokias which have nowhere near the CPU, graphical or memory muscle of the iPhone for years perfectly well.

The problem is: iPhone runs OS X. Not 'Mac OS X', but certainly a very, very close relative. Adobe (and previously, Macromedia) created a spectacularly poor implementation of Flash when they developed it for OS X. It's notorious for ramping up CPU usage even on meaty Intel-based Macs. But that's entirely down to Flash for OS X being awful - it's not intrinsic to Flash itself, which runs very smoothly on other platforms.

Hopefully the prospect of getting some nice Flash licencing $$$ from Apple for the iPhone has inspired Adobe to work on optimising and tidying up the steaming pile that is Flash for OS X. In fact, I can't see Flash appearing on the iPhone until Adobe have fixed Flash for OS X.

kdarling

macrumors P6
An interesting, but short, article quoting Adobe on mobile Flash from the current mobile conference in Barcelona:

Adobe says they can't do all mobile devices by themselves

"Solving the Flash-on-Web problem is up to mobile browser makers, not Adobe, to solve, (Adobe) said. "

Personally I'd be surprised if Apple allows Flash. I would think they'd have their own Silverlight type of competitor in the works.

Unless, of course, they think they can make more money with a Flash enabled device.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
An interesting, but short, article quoting Adobe on mobile Flash from the current mobile conference in Barcelona:

Adobe says they can't do all mobile devices by themselves

"Solving the Flash-on-Web problem is up to mobile browser makers, not Adobe, to solve, (Adobe) said. "

Personally I'd be surprised if Apple allows Flash. I would think they'd have their own Silverlight type of competitor in the works.

Unless, of course, they think they can make more money with a Flash enabled device.

That makes sense and seems preferable to leaving it all to Adobe. Assuming they've published a full specification for Flash, the device vendors/platform providers should be able to implement Flash in a way best for their devices.

Since Flash performance is such a bugbear on OS X (both Mac and iPhone/iPod Touch - not to mention future devices), I can imagine that Apple would see plenty of benefit in doing their own Flash implementation to Adobe's spec.

A Silverlight-style competitor would be pointless, just as Silverlight is pointless (other than to keep Adobe on the ball). Flash is very much ingrained into the web. Although its current absence is defensible considering the current state of Flash for OS X, putting resources and manpower into an incompatible proprietary competitor would be completely indefensible.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I have the answer

I think it will be cheaper for us touch users to just buy an iPhone instead of paying for all these upgrades.:rolleyes:
------
How do you defeat an enemy that is willing to give their life to kill thousands? If you have an answer, send me a message.
-----

"How do you defeat an enemy that is willing to give their life to kill thousands?"

- You focus your efforts on stopping the production of these types of enemies in the first place.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Flashblock

I hope there will be a way to block Flash content once it is supported on the iPhone. Saves download time and processor cycles and reduces the visual clutter to great degree.

My current browser has a Flash blocker on all the time, cuts down on ads and accessing the Flash content is still just one additional click away.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
I'm still waiting for 802.11n, Flash, and iChat along with SMS before I'll get an iPhone.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
also

Beyond the intrinsic issues the Flash has with Mac OSX, it would be great if many folks building sites (and ads) in Flash could do their part and build cleaner sites. Not all, but many sites are still so poorly built, using way too many timeline based animations as opposed to ActionScript (in instances where this would help). Making this shift wouldn't fix everything, but would go a long way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.