Low-End Mac Mini Shipping Date Slips Slightly, Additional Reports of iMac Shortages Surface

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shipping window for Apple's low-end Mac mini in the company's U.S. and Canadian online stores has slipped today to "1-3 business days" from the usual "Within 24hrs" timeframe, adding further hints of supply constraints and a possible refresh for Apple's diminutive desktop computer. The move comes on the heels of reports that Apple has notified its retail stores of shortages of the low-end Mac mini, as well as all four iMac configurations.

TUAW today also adds additional detail on desktop shortage claims, noting that an employee at one Apple retail store has reported only four iMacs in stock at that location, far below usual stock levels.
    Another source reports that they placed an order for a Mac mini earlier this month and initially received indication that the machine would ship in a timely manner, only to have the shipping date recently adjusted to October 9th.

Reports in recent weeks and months have suggested that iMac and MacBook updates are due in the near future, and while details on a potential Mac mini upgrade have been scarce, mounting evidence suggests that Apple has changes in store for the line of budget desktops as well.

Article Link: Low-End Mac Mini Shipping Date Slips Slightly, Additional Reports of iMac Shortages Surface

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this be the case. I'm looking to bring my *first* home. :D

4. Poonaka macrumors member

Please let them not suck!

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Anything but obvious now with the shipping dates as such.

6. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

7. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

PLEASE let there be a matte option on the iMacs! Otherwise no business from me!

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It's amazing that the Mini still LOOKS high-tech, but it's time for something newer!

I prefer the matte look but would always choose glossy for cleanability. Options, however, are always a good thing.

9. theheadguy macrumors 65816

It would really suck if the low inventory levels were supplied with loads of the same hardware on the web site right now... :D but seriously, time for my first iMac... I've had enough Powerbook/MBPs.. I'm ready for the big screen. :)

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

Did you read the article? There are stores with four iMacs in stock. They normally carry 10X that much stock. How long do you think they can go with those kind of stock levels without putting a massive dent in their profits?

New Macs must be coming very very fast if the stock is running down that fast.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They wont, never have.....I think if they look like the new displays they will have a hit. Heck I might even get one though my current imac is just fine. Long live the all in one!

12. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

Why does low stock = shipping delays? Surely if they've got any stock, they can still ship just as quick? Or does this mean that everything in question is now BTO?

13. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

I don't think they will suck, there's no chance of that. I just hope we see meaningful upgrades this go around. Clarksfield chips, matte display options, LED backlighting, Blu-Ray, etc.

They need to bring the ruckus if they want to sell these boxes in a recession!

14. Harun macrumors member

Backlit LED

Backlit LED makes having a matte option a thing of the past. Not needed now in any way.

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I truly believe the iMac is getting a desktop CPU this time. I believe there will be at least two different CPU offerings and that's not clock speed.

I also think a new Mac mini case will prevail this time. I also think every Mac will come with Blu Ray internal or external drive offerings. I think we might also see USB 3.0... it would be very Apple-like.

Finally, I even see updates for MacBook and MacBook Air. All are due. And this is exactly the time Apple needs to do it all to ensure strong holiday sales in a worldwide weak economy.

I think we will know by the first week in November exactly what the holiday lineup will appear like.

16. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

What does LED backlighting have to do with having a glossy or matte display? Nothing, that's what.

My wife and I compared the matte and glossy 17" MBP and definitely preferred the matte one. Guess what? They are both LED backlit.

17. Michael73 macrumors 65816

An event?

Just like the iPod event earlier in the month, wouldn't Apple deem this worthy of another event? Especially if the rumors are to be believed of the iMacs are getting a new/refreshed form factor...

18. danielwsmithee macrumors 65816

I can't wait for a quad core iMac, LED Display ... woot!

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'd expect something for a possible quad core iMac after all these years.

20. jmpage2 macrumors 68040

jmpage2

With expectations like this you are pretty much assured being disappointed.

21. superlatic macrumors regular

I think your going to be very disappointed come next week then (assuming thats when they are released)

22. bobdard macrumors regular

Seems weird that its only the low-end Mini.

When I saw the rumors for low stock of the low end, I figured they would probably drop the low-end, make the high-end the price of the low-end, and add a new higher model to the line. (Like they did with Time Capsule, and similar to Apple TV - except they didn't add a higher one). But that would not reduce the time to ship the low-end ones; they would change it to the higher model and no delays in ship times. So seems like my theory was wrong. What do others think?

23. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Unless they send out invitations this week, this looks to be a quiet update.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Time to take bets on Penryn 3.2/3.33 GHz? :rolleyes:

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    they're not kidding when they call that mac mini low end ;)

i had forgotten what the specs are

it should at least be on par with the white macbook (2 gb ram, bigger hard disk, faster processor)