LTE and AirPlay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by critter13, Nov 1, 2016.

1. critter13 macrumors 6502

i have done some searching on this topic but havent found many recent conversations around it. Is anyone successfully using their iPhone cell data to stream content then airplaying it to ATV without an existing network? I know there is peer to peer airplay support but i am having trouble using netflix for example on LTE and air playing it to ATV. it just spins and spins when i try to airplay. thoughts?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

AirPlay requires WiFi -- Plex will stream over any data connection. There is a Netflix app for the ATV, so no need for AirPlay :)

3. critter13 thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't think you understand. imagine i am somewhere where there is no wifi network but i have an appleTV and a TV. I am trying to stream netflix on my iPhone over LTE then airplay that to the appleTV via Peer to Peer wifi(which is supported on the apple tv).

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Sounds like it should work, hope it works for you -- good luck!!! :)

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

That could eat up a lot of Data. Have you tried to setting up a WiFi Hot Spot on your iPhone then connect to it via the Apple TV Wifi? Then just use the Netflix App on the Apple Tv. I think I tied it once when my Internet was down but it did not work well but I did not spend much time on it.

6. critter13 thread starter macrumors 6502

this isn't to replace home broadband its a mobile solution for special occasions, think tailgating. mobile hotspot would work but also cost extra and i am on a grandfathered unlimited plan so i was hoping to try to leverage my iPhone data that i am already paying for.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I understand. I was thinking of maybe a small wifi router but the problem is your iPhone would not work since it would try to pull data from Wifi instead of LTE while connected to Wifi. Good Luck.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You should try to establish the P2P connection between iPhone and aTV first and then you can try it out.

9. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

it was my understanding that an apple tv does not need to be connected to any wifi router for an iPhone to be able to see it and to stream to it. and there is no need to set up any connections beforehand.

leave wifi on the iPhone but forget the wifi network. your iPhones bluetooth will find the apple tv and then tell it to automagically establish a wifi connection between the both of them for airplay.
    there is no need to do any "p2p" or "adhoc" connection beforehand

https://physedagogy.com/2014/09/25/...-apple-tv-to-mirror-your-device-without-wifi/

10. critter13 thread starter macrumors 6502

the key thing is using LTE data and air playing . i will try priitv8 suggestion

11. critter13 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Spyderweb122 macrumors newbie

You wouldn't happen to have a Lightning to Digital AV Adapter would you? This could work for you for those just in case moments. Basically plug your phone directly into the TV.

13. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Wouldn't it be better to turn on the personal hotspot on your iPhone and then use the Netflix app to stream content directly? Surely that would negate the need for airplay? If you what to stream locally from the iPhone to the Apple TV, you can do this without WiFi

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I actually already ask the OP about that. The OP is using a Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan which does not support Hot Spot.

15. frankdogg macrumors 6502

frankdogg

I've used my Apple TV (3rd gen) in my Sienna. The only ways I've successfully done anything was 1) enable hotspot and connect it that way but that isn't an option for you. 2) you can airplay to the apple tv but you'll have to choose the "mirroring" from your iPhone.

16. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Ah - didn't see that. I was trying to kill some time at the airport this morning.