Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I am curious as well. Stupid question - does the default mail app work over LTE?

iJuniorDB

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
USA
I am curious as well. Stupid question - does the default mail app work over LTE?

I find it curious that you are looking for this answer in a forum when you were boasting well before this about your seamless activation process activating your Watch with AT&T service and claimed to testing the device on LTE.

Why wouldnt you test that and let us know how that works? ‍♂️‍♂️

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-t-not-supported.2070565/page-5#post-25095671

Reactions: Senfinger

datapolitical

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Caifornia

iJuniorDB

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
USA
Is this true? From reading the notes this should work with the phone off?

From what I have gathered in regards to the Watch when separated from its paired iPhone all data service should allow the Watch to function with no change in functionality.

With that said, I am curious how the Watch would handle something like corporate secure email for example - or other apps like carrier apps authtucate you by knowing it is you from the service.

I do know that your iPhone must be connected to the network for SMS and Calls to function on your watch when leaving it behind. If it is shut off than your watch is only good for Apple Services (iMessage, FaceTime Audio calls). I would assume all 3rd party apps work that are fully loaded on Watch app of your iPhone so if there are issues with the app I would think it is more of a app software issue rather than a network related issue.

Reactions: Mabus51

iJuniorDB

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
USA
Here is the information from the AT&T site: SMS/MMS text messaging requires that your synced smartphone must be powered on so SMS/MMS messages may be forwarded to your watch. iMessage must be enabled and your smartphone must be connected to the AT&T network via either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. If using a Wi-Fi connection, your smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I do know that your iPhone must be connected to the network for SMS and Calls to function on your watch when leaving it behind. If it is shut off than your watch is only good for Apple Services (iMessage, FaceTime Audio calls). I would assume all 3rd party apps work that are fully loaded on Watch app of your iPhone so if there are issues with the app I would think it is more of a app software issue rather than a network related issue.
That’s a little disappointing. Amongst other things it means that your watch can’t serve as a backup for if your phone runs out of battery. Hopefully this limitation will be overcome in time; more regular use of the technology should drive development.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Here is the information from the AT&T site: SMS/MMS text messaging requires that your synced smartphone must be powered on so SMS/MMS messages may be forwarded to your watch. iMessage must be enabled and your smartphone must be connected to the AT&T network via either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. If using a Wi-Fi connection, your smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated.

That’s a little disappointing. Amongst other things it means that your watch can’t serve as a backup for if your phone runs out of battery. Hopefully this limitation will be overcome in time; more regular use of the technology should drive development.

I’ve been testing out a few scenarios with the cellular Watch, though my carrier is not AT&T, so not sure how much of a difference it will make.

Seems like all carriers are using that number share or sync (can’t remember what it’s called), so with the iPhone powered off or in airplane mode, data (iMessage, FaceTime audio, email, etc) and cellular calls do work on the Watch. What I haven’t been able to test is to see if SMS messages come through. Sounds like there’s a chance they only come through via the iPhone (just like other devices with SMS forwarding setup under iMessage).

Reactions: danmart

Senfinger

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
So it appears with ATT so far that my Calls and iMessage work fine but Native Mail App Fails and is still looking for phone, as I get the little red phone icon and it just sits and finally says can’t update/not connected. However, the. The phone is on everything is 100

I personally am getting the opinion that they over advertised without stating the true dependency it still has on the phone.

I’ve been testing out a few scenarios with the cellular Watch, though my carrier is not AT&T, so not sure how much of a difference it will make.

Seems like all carriers are using that number share or sync (can’t remember what it’s called), so with the iPhone powered off or in airplane mode, data (iMessage, FaceTime audio, email, etc) and cellular calls do work on the Watch. What I haven’t been able to test is to see if SMS messages come through. Sounds like there’s a chance they only come through via the iPhone (just like other devices with SMS forwarding setup under iMessage).

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
This has been answered many times in other threads. To use the watch standalone on LTE, the iPhone only needs to be on to receive SMS text messages. You should be able to make/receive calls, send/receive iMessages and SEND (but not receive) SMS text messages.

Also, apps that use data (e.g. the watch's Mail app) should work standalone over LTE when the iPhone is powered off.

Reactions: profets

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I actually noticed I wasn't getting emails through to my watch when I was out over the weekend. My phone was in my pocket in airplane mode as I was testing the watches capabilities. Email is a fail then I guess, which is rather pants if you ask me!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So it appears with ATT so far that my Calls and iMessage work fine but Native Mail App Fails and is still looking for phone, as I get the little red phone icon and it just sits and finally says can’t update/not connected. However, the. The phone is on everything is 100

I personally am getting the opinion that they over advertised without stating the true dependency it still has on the phone.

I actually noticed I wasn't getting emails through to my watch when I was out over the weekend. My phone was in my pocket in airplane mode as I was testing the watches capabilities. Email is a fail then I guess, which is rather pants if you ask me!

Strange. Email being just a data service you’d think it would work as usual. When testing myself I did have email working with the phone in airplane mode. Though can’t recall if push email was working.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Strange. Email being just a data service you’d think it would work as usual. When testing myself I did have email working with the phone in airplane mode. Though can’t recall if push email was working.

That's strange, I actually received the email as soon as I got home and turned airplane mode back on... the email was time stamped about 40 minutes earlier.

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
That's strange, I actually received the email as soon as I got home and turned airplane mode back on... the email was time stamped about 40 minutes earlier.
I don't think you'll get the mail notifications, but if you run the mail app you should be able to see any new mail. I'll test it myself when my Series 3 arrives (and EE have sorted out the problems with the data plan)...

Update: I've just tested the mail app over WiFi on my series 2 and it works fine with the iPhone in airplane mode. You can read/reply to new emails but you don't get the notifications until you take the iPhone out of airplane mode. LTE should be exactly the same.

Last edited:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I don't think you'll get the mail notifications, but if you run the mail app you should be able to see any new mail. I'll test it myself when my Series 3 arrives (and EE have sorted out the problems with the data plan)...

Update: I've just tested the mail app over WiFi on my series 2 and it works fine with the iPhone in airplane mode. You can read/reply to new emails but you don't get the notifications until you take the iPhone out of airplane mode. LTE should be exactly the same.

I'll do some testing too...

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Regarding the SMS messages - Apple must have made that stipulation to the carriers (that the iPhone still forwards them), because if they didn't - if they were sent to both, then Apple would have had to build in additional logic to test if this had happened with the LTE watch (otherwise, you would get duplicate messages - one from the carrier's server and one from Apple's iMessage server / continuity).

Considering there's no delivery guarantee with SMS, this would have been problematic for Apple to implement. (and would have slowed down SMS message forwarding).

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

That makes sense then, probably an extra battery killer to have email connected and always pushing as well. But if you go check it will refresh.
[doublepost=1506339612][/doublepost]
Regarding the SMS messages - Apple must have made that stipulation to the carriers (that the iPhone still forwards them), because if they didn't - if they were sent to both, then Apple would have had to build in additional logic to test if this had happened with the LTE watch (otherwise, you would get duplicate messages - one from the carrier's server and one from Apple's iMessage server / continuity).

Considering there's no delivery guarantee with SMS, this would have been problematic for Apple to implement. (and would have slowed down SMS message forwarding).

Ahh, excellent thinking!

Senfinger

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Yep well everything works except my email- not sure why some people work and some don’t. I was hoping to get my email via native app without device on/powered etc.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Yep well everything works except my email- not sure why some people work and some don’t. I was hoping to get my email via native app without device on/powered etc.

Everything works as in, all your installed 3rd party apps? My main question is whether the Slack apple watch app would work, without my phone being around.

Senfinger

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Everything works as in, all your installed 3rd party apps? My main question is whether the Slack apple watch app would work, without my phone being around.

HAHA, no my Main Native Mail App doesn't work I'm one of the few it sounds like. Apple just escalated my issue to the next level supposedly lol = ) (Phone and Text work perfect and fast over LTE without hitch)
Just failing with Native Email App.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
HAHA, no my Main Native Mail App doesn't work I'm one of the few it sounds like. Apple just escalated my issue to the next level supposedly lol = ) (Phone and Text work perfect and fast over LTE without hitch)
Just failing with Native Email App.

Oh ok. Thanks for taking the time on replying :)

Apfpilot

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
I was sitting at a bar last night without my phone and my watch on LTE and I got a gmail notification. Not sure how or where it got to me but it did.

Reactions: Tdadlani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.