M....m.....s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Feb 3, 2009.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Why do people say MMS is a dead/old technology and that it shouldn't be on the iPhone? These people also rant/rave that "if you want to send a picture, email it!"

Well, can't the same be said for SMS? If you want to send a text message, just email it!

The VAST majority of cell phones out there (honeslty, I think the iPhone is the only one that can't) can do SMS and MMS.

MMS is not dead/old technology....and if you feel it is, then stop sending your peers SMS messages and just email them your verbal conversations (becuase that's basically what you're implying when you say MMS is dead and just email the pic).

Now, Apple, give us MMS.

***UPDATE***: Sprint and Blackberry have added MMS in their 4.5 OS update......maybe Apple/ATT will follow suit....

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

wow this topic has been beaten to death many, many (many) times....

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You're begging to get torn apart. Why would you post this?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The iPhone is the only one that can't MMS? No need to exaggerate to make your point.

5. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

my statment said "I think...".....so i could be wrong. feel free to correct me on compairable iphone competitive products.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Because it is.
    And it shouldn't

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Define "compairable" [sic].

Also, your first post said "The VAST majority of cell phones". I'll be disappointed if you now say they need to be smartphones.

8. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

guess you didn't read the rest of my post. care to counter my points and validate why you feel it's dead? and why SMS should also be considered "dead" as well....and just to email your verbal conversations to peers?

well, compairable phones would be smartphones or phones that don't fall into the "we give you this free phone when you sign up under our contract plan".

however, i do know that some of those cheap-o phones do handle MMS....

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Name one phone made in 2008 that doesn't support mms other than the iPhone.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, but it should be. And Apple is trying to kill it.

It's rough now, but in 2 years most cell phones will have e-mail...even ones without $30-a-month data plans.

Once that happens everyone will say "I can't believe we used to pay for text messages!" And the world will be a better place.

But it won't happen until someone takes the plunge. The iPhone volunteered, and I wish it luck.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree. I don't use SMS. Why pay for it when email is free?

12. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

It´s never been alive in Germany :) but if people wnat to pay loads of money to send a crappy picture to another phone wich displays the pic even more crappy fine by me :)

13. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I B T L!!!!

I want mms though. I did not realize how many people send me pics until I got the iPhone and had to explain how to send to my email now instead of phone. Swirlymms seems too complicated.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not all phones "out there" were made in 2008.

15. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

16. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ok, that reply sounds a bit better.

I don't agree that MMS should be dead....since SMS isn't dead. Both MMS and SMS are in the same category....so if MMS dies over email, so should SMS. If Apple is pressing the consumer to EMAIL all the time, then the same philosophy should be to stop using SMS as well and just email your verbal conversations.

However, in the mean time.......since MMS and SMS isn't dead.....and EMAIL isn't prevalent....then, I feel the iPhone should adopt all of these technologies until everyone else catches up.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Actually, it's not. I'm 26 and I still receive many MMS messages from friends and family. I tell you what, since my mom and aunt learned how to send those pictures it's become a never-ending stream.

Really? Because not everybody uses smartphones. That's why.

18. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

lol....yes, me too. until i got the iphone, i never realized how much i used MMS.

and along those lines, i never realized how important copy/paste was until i got the iphone, received an MMS from a friend......then had to WRITE down the website pswd to view it.

i wonder....how many of the people that clammor for copy/paste want it so they don't have to write down MMS website pswds??

lol

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There won't be any "catching up" if we followed your plan. No one would ever change.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg situation. No one uses e-mail because everyone texts. Phone makers and service providors don't add e-mail because consumers are texting, so why should they?

It will NEVER change until someone put out an annoying phone that doesn't do MMS. That phone will be a PAIN to everyone else, and a pain to the people who use it.

But if it's a popular phone, other people will start saying "hey, I want a phone that does e-mail too. The photos come out better and I'm not paying per message."

Once people start thinking that, other companies will be forced to support e-mail (both by hardware and by service, by which I mean you get e-mail even if you don't pay for web).

Anyway, the point is, you would like things to change but there is no chance they will change until someone acts like a jerk and makes things difficult for everyone. The iPhone is that someone.

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This is why I downloaded Clippy and hClipboard but since you can't copy from a non-editable field, I have no use for them.

21. Katuls macrumors member

That's what kills me (the password part)

I'm a firefighter/paramedic, and I usually send pictures of cars that have been involved in a traffic collision to the trauma centers, and MMS would be so nice in this situation.

22. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

good views. i like chatting with you!

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I never used MMS on my Razr and I don't miss it.

24. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

wouldnt email be better than mms in that situation?