Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

amitdel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Hi All!

Long time windows users transitioning to Mac. Old setup was a Dell Latitude hooked up to a Dell Ultrasharp U2415, one at home, and the other at work (laptop carried to and fro).

Bought a M1 Macbook Air, and am absolutely thrilled with the performance, and with the fluidity of the machine, and the intuitiveness of MacOS.

Problem: When I connected the same monitor to the Macbook, colors looked a bit "off" (slightly distorted hues, unsatisfactory blacks and whites), and fonts looked a bit blurred and unappealing.

Checking various threads here (and elsewhere), I realized the issue is that the Macbook Air and the Dell are talking in "YPBPR" instead of RGB mode i.e. the monitor seems to be detected as a TV (The Dell's OSD shows mode as YPBPR).

Apparently, there exists a workaround by changing the EDID profile, but that process doesn't seem to work with the M1 flavor of Macs yet.

UPDATE: The process to fix the RGB issue via EDID override on Apple Silicon Macs exists for quite some time now - check out the step-by-step instructions here: https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/discussions/1473#discussioncomment-4896209

As I presume a lot of people bought M1 Mac Minis (which would mandatorily need an external display; and thus some resolution of this issue), what's working for you guys?

a) Is there some modified variation of the EDID fix (either in pipeline, or available straight out?)
b) Does some combination of cable ports solve this issue consistently? (I am using HDMI to HDMI connected via a port).
c) Any software based solutions? (heard about SwitchResX for resolution fixes)
d) Are there some (reasonably priced!) monitors which reliably work with the M1s in RGB mode? (Last Resort!)

All the threads I read documented this problem, but there seemed not to be any resolution. And yet, given the sheer number of M1s Mac Minis out there, I am sure many people have arrived at some fix for this YPBPR vs RGB issue.

I tested a bunch of other monitors and cables as well, but atleast for me, I am consistently getting YPBPR, and thus the color and fuzziness issue. I would strongly prefer to continue using my 24 inch Ultrasharps, as I am otherwise very happy with those.

Would be grateful to crowdsource a solution here!

Cheers & Regards
Amit

Last edited:

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Hi Amit,

I have just come in to the same problem. Long time Mac and Ultrasharp user here; have a U2713HM and U3219Q in the lab for testing.

The two Intel MacBooks I have work great, RGB on both displays. The M1 does not, even when I apply the EDID fix.

I'm still in the return period for both the U3219Q and the M1 MacBook Air, so I do have some options.

Best,
Adam

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Hi All!

Long time windows users transitioning to Mac. Old setup was a Dell Latitude hooked up to a Dell Ultrasharp U2415, one at home, and the other at work (laptop carried to and fro).

Bought a M1 Macbook Air, and am absolutely thrilled with the performance, and with the fluidity of the machine, and the intuitiveness of MacOS.

Problem: When I connected the same monitor to the Macbook, colors looked a bit "off" (slightly distorted hues, unsatisfactory blacks and whites), and fonts looked a bit blurred and unappealing.

Checking various threads here (and elsewhere), I realized the issue is that the Macbook Air and the Dell are talking in "YPBPR" instead of RGB mode i.e. the monitor seems to be detected as a TV (The Dell's OSD shows mode as YPBPR).

Apparently, there exists a workaround by changing the EDID profile, but that process doesn't seem to work with the M1 flavor of Macs yet.

As I presume a lot of people bought M1 Mac Minis (which would mandatorily need an external display; and thus some resolution of this issue), what's working for you guys?

a) Is there some modified variation of the EDID fix (either in pipeline, or available straight out?)
b) Does some combination of cable ports solve this issue consistently? (I am using HDMI to HDMI connected via a port).
c) Any software based solutions? (heard about SwitchResX for resolution fixes)
d) Are there some (reasonably priced!) monitors which reliably work with the M1s in RGB mode? (Last Resort!)

All the threads I read documented this problem, but there seemed not to be any resolution. And yet, given the sheer number of M1s Mac Minis out there, I am sure many people have arrived at some fix for this YPBPR vs RGB issue.

I tested a bunch of other monitors and cables as well, but atleast for me, I am consistently getting YPBPR, and thus the color and fuzziness issue. I would strongly prefer to continue using my 24 inch Ultrasharps, as I am otherwise very happy with those.

Would be grateful to crowdsource a solution here!

Cheers & Regards
Amit
To offer an actually helpful suggestion, DisplayPort does often work better than HDMI. A USB-C to DisplayPort cable can be had quite cheaply. That said, that's what I'm using with my M1 Air and it does not help this particular problem.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Hi Amit,

I have just come in to the same problem. Long time Mac and Ultrasharp user here; have a U2713HM and U3219Q in the lab for testing.

The two Intel MacBooks I have work great, RGB on both displays. The M1 does not, even when I apply the EDID fix.

I'm still in the return period for both the U3219Q and the M1 MacBook Air, so I do have some options.

Best,
Adam
Well I have to admit I thought my two Dell Displays were not as sharp as my 2015 iMac. Note the Dell U2719D did look sharper IMHO when driven from my iMac vs. the M1 MacMini. I've included a screenshot to be honest I don't really know what the captured data means. If anyone can enlighten me as to the difference is sharpness please let me know. It also might help others.
Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 2.04.41 PM.png

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Filed FB8946046 through Feedback Assistant. I encourage anyone affected to also file, referencing this number.

Make sure your problematic display is connected at the time of writing the feedback so that it is present in the system profile sent to Apple.

Reactions: littlej2

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Well I have to admit I thought my two Dell Displays were not as sharp as my 2015 iMac. Note the Dell U2719D did look sharper IMHO when driven from my iMac vs. the M1 MacMini. I've included a screenshot to be honest I don't really know what the captured data means. If anyone can enlighten me as to the difference is sharpness please let me know. It also might help others. View attachment 1697682
Please check the OSD on your Dell for the color mode and compare between Intel and M1. YPbPr bad, RGB good.

1DC64DA3-73F7-4E93-9004-C3D8B89F275E.jpeg

Reactions: Jochheim

amitdel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
@aednichols @jazz1 Thanks for the responses guys

I am sure there is a huge base of folks using M1 Mac Minis, and atleast some would have figured out a solution for this issue? If I work with YPbPr colors, I get eye fatigue in 30 minutes, in addition to the display appearing less pleasing overall. YMMV

Would love to get inputs from the reviewer community as well, as to whether they are seeing RGB or YPbPr

@aednichols - thanks for that useful suggestion about the Feedback Assistant route - will do that as suggested, and in the meanwhile, am very very curious as to the feeback from M1 Mac mini owners, and others using external displays with M1 machines

Cheers

Last edited:

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I am sure there is a huge base of folks using M1 Mac Minis, and atleast some would have figured out a solution for this issue? I find the YPbPr colors completely unacceptable for extended work sessions!
I don't think a community solution is too likely, we will have to wait for Apple.

The community solutions so far have been based around writing industry-standard EDID ("external display ID") files that get read by the OS.

It appears that the OS on M1 has ceased to interpret that data correctly.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Please check the OSD on your Dell for the color mode and compare between Intel and M1. YPbPr bad, RGB good.

View attachment 1697687
Well as luck would have it I have the same Dell monitor on my iMac as a second screen, and the first one on the M1 MacMini. I will check tomorrow and report. Should there be a RGB choice, or does it just reflect what the M1 is not capable of supporting RGB?

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Hi guys.

Just got my M1 Mac Mini today. I was a long term iMac 27” user (1440p).

First thing I noticed was just how much blurrier the picture and the font was on the Mac Mini. I’m hooked up to a 32” monitor via Display Port, 1440p @ 120Hz. And I have to say that the picture so far looks noticeably worse than the 27” iMac I used for 10 years.

Gonna tweak the monitor some more but I’m not sure what the problem could be.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Well as luck would have it I have the same Dell monitor on my iMac as a second screen, and the first one on the M1 MacMini. I will check tomorrow and report. Should there be a RGB choice, or does it just reflect what the M1 is not capable of supporting RGB?
The monitor automatically detects what signal it is receiving, and shows that in the on-screen display.

If you drill down into it, there is an override option where you can manually change it. However, the choice only affects how the monitor interprets the received signal and cannot control what the computer puts out. It is harmless to switch it; the display will go crazy colors which is kind of fun.

Reactions: jazz1

Sarpanch

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
SoCal
I have been anxiously waiting for the EDID Patch writers to create an M1 Mac version of the script but nothing so far.

and

Using a Dell U2518D with M1 Mac Mini and tried every cable combination possible but it always outputs in YPbPr output.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I have been anxiously waiting for the EDID Patch writers to create an M1 Mac version of the script but nothing so far.

and

Using a Dell U2518D with M1 Mac Mini and tried every cable combination possible but it always outputs in YPbPr output.
I'm a programmer though not an operating system programmer; I suspect we are high and dry until we see action from Apple. We can't force the closed-source, compiled OS code to start reading EDIDs correctly again by doing anything external to the OS. I'd love to be proven otherwise but this is the basis for my purchasing decisions right now.

Reactions: jazz1 and Sarpanch

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm a programmer though not an operating system programmer; I suspect we are high and dry until we see action from Apple. We can't force the closed-source, compiled OS code to start reading EDIDs correctly again by doing anything external to the OS. I'd love to be proven otherwise but this is the basis for my purchasing decisions right now.
How can Apple let this kind of issue roll out to the public?

Reactions: Zhubajie

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

There has been some monitor issues and they should not have been any (or most)

But from my understanding this specific issue is more how Dell monitors behave (they have a “TV” mode) than Apple’s. And Intel Macs have similar issues with these monitors.

Reactions: jazz1

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I’m waiting for my Mac Mini and hoping there will be no problem connecting to my 4K IPS monitor. Fingers crossed

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Software is never perfect.

Bug fixes get prioritized roughly according to ( number of users affected ) x ( severity of impact on each user ).

This one probably doesn't score that high, truth be told.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
The display I originally wanted but couldn't get is back in stock: LG 27GN950-B

The Internet shows no evidence of LGs having YPbPr problems with Macs.

I'm gonna return the Dell while I can.

amitdel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Hi Adam

Good to see you have some resolution on the issue. Please keep us all posted on the performance with LG.

At my end, I tested with the various monitors at hand :

Dell U2415
Dell P2219H
Dell E2418HN
Samsung Syncmaster (a pretty old model).

I got YPbPr throughout (samsung OSD would not report on the mode, but the colors seem to indicate so).

Interestingly, the Dell U2415 has an additional mode under Gamma : Mac vs PC, but the Mac option just brings it at par with the display on the other monitors in the above list.

@Ninja Dom - I tried the font smoothing, and while it helps a bit with the fonts, Colors, UI and other elements still appear problematic to the extent I would not be comfortable working long durations (This is not fussiness - comparing side by side with a RGB setup is a huge difference, atleast for me; without being able to pinpoint to a specific issue).

Guys, do you think this problem is exacerbated with Dell? It would be great to get inputs from M1 Mac Mini users with other brands - are you guys seeing RGB or YPbPr, and are you happy compared to the previous display quality?

Please share your monitor brands / models.

At my end, I don't have the option to buy and return monitors, hence the request here. Thanks in advance for the help!

Warm Regards
Amit

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
@amitdel I just got my M1 Mac Mini this weekend gone. I’m using it with this monitor. It’s not that sophisticated but it does the job.

Resolution is set to 1440p at 120Hz with HDR turned on. I believe that I’m getting YPbPr from everything you’ve described earlier but I’m not able to tell. My monitor doesn’t have its own Mac software and going through the monitor menus don’t tell me anything. I do also have a problem with the blurry fonts.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Hi Adam

Good to see you have some resolution on the issue. Please keep us all posted on the performance with LG.

At my end, I tested with the various monitors at hand :

Dell U2415
Dell P2219H
Dell E2418HN
Samsung Syncmaster (a pretty old model).

I got YPbPr throughout (samsung OSD would not report on the mode, but the colors seem to indicate so).

Interestingly, the Dell U2415 has an additional mode under Gamma : Mac vs PC, but the Mac option just brings it at par with the display on the other monitors in the above list.

@Ninja Dom - I tried the font smoothing, and while it helps a bit with the fonts, Colors, UI and other elements still appear problematic to the extent I would not be comfortable working long durations (This is not fussiness - comparing side by side with a RGB setup is a huge difference, atleast for me; without being able to pinpoint to a specific issue).

Guys, do you think this problem is exacerbated with Dell? It would be great to get inputs from M1 Mac Mini users with other brands - are you guys seeing RGB or YPbPr, and are you happy compared to the previous display quality?

Please share your monitor brands / models.

At my end, I don't have the option to buy and return monitors, hence the request here. Thanks in advance for the help!

Warm Regards
Amit
Do any of your Dell monitors have a "Sharpness" adjustment under the "Display" portion of the monitor OSD controls?

If so, try tweaking that.

0%
tempImagecoT35A.png
50%
tempImagehMzbzj.png

100%
tempImage160aDQ.png

Reactions: amitdel

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

More accurately, YPbPr 422 bad. YPbPr 444 doesn't suffer from the lack of chroma detail that 422 does. That said, it does seem like everyone having issues is somehow getting kicked into 422 mode for some reason. That seems like a bad bug.

But yes, RGB is ideal.

n0dragon

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
I have a Mac mini M1 and Dell U2720Q, and I am now able to get the RGB mode working. You need a spare Intel Mac. Here is what I did.

1. Connect the monitor with the Intel Mac.
2. Use the script https://gist.github.com/adaugherity/7435890 to generate the EDID patch on the Intel Mac. Since the script only works on Intel Macs and not M1 ones, you can only generate the file on the Intel Mac.
3. Disconnect the monitor from the Intel Mac and connect it to the M1 Mac.
4. Transfer the whole folder to the M1 Mac, and place it into /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides directory. Create the directory if it does not exist before.
5. Go to display settings on the M1 Mac, and turn OFF HDR (this is the most important step. Turning on HDR will always output YPbPr to the Dell monitor).
6. In the Dell monitor, set colour preset mode to Standard, and set Smart HDR to DisplayHDR (if set to Disable, sometimes it won't work).
7. Restart the M1 Mac.

After restart, my monitor is showing RGB as the colour mode. Now is the most interesting part. I had to delete that override folder, otherwise the next restart my Mac mini will revert back to use YPbPr again.

8. Delete the override folder inside /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides directory, and restart the M1 Mac again.

U2720Q.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.