Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Robmano

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
I have the brightness set at 5 and the contrast at 83, lol, so to answer your question about the display being dim, I can confidently say 'no'! I have a Mac Mini so this is my only monitor.

I bought an arm from Amazon for not much money which attaches to the monitor VESA mounting plate and allows me to have the screen in virtually any position I like.

View attachment 1720861

The arm is pretty amazing, given the price! This is the UK link: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08D66SNVQ I can see that there are many variants on the US Amazon site too at around $35. Here's a link to one that looks the same as mine: https://smile.amazon.com/Single-Monitor-Mount-Articulating-Adjustable/dp/B07T3KCQ94

I originally bought the monitor to use with Windows 10, but it was so good I bought a new M1 Mac Mini to replace my Windows NUC.

I 'calibrated' it using the Mac utility in System Preferences/Disply/Colour. I find it perfectly acceptable, especially with that arm :)
Really nice desk setup! Keen to hear what changes you made in the Mac display colour calibration...

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020
Folks, I'm reading the whole thread (I'm bored and interested, don't @ me), I see that people force RGB mode using an app and some magic, now, recently I bought a 32 inch 1440p gaming monitor, I use a USB C to DP (an Amazon branded one, pretty good!) and I can use all the bells and whistles of my monitor, including VRR, however I want to revamp my workdesk and I want to buy a cheap 43 inch 4K TV to use as a monitor, I did my research and aided by rtings, I decided to go for a Hisense A6H TV once I sell my monitor, as it supports the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, looks good in person and it's really cheap, great!

Hoooowever, I see that using HDMI, a lot of people can only get at most 4:2:2 (10 bit), now, I don't care about HDR, so I have no issue by sticking at 8 bit color, so, Can I use this trick with the app, to get 4:4:4 via HDMI? Does it matter if it goes thru as RGB or as YPBPR? I have a Macbook Air M2, if that's important.

Cheers!

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
How do I actually know what my M1 is outputting? I have a Corsair Xenon 32UHD144, but the monitor's OSD doesn't report color input format. If I look at the Mac's System Report, in the Graphics/Displays section at the end it says "Television: Yes".

Connected via USB-C.

Any help with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

meletkis

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2016
Athens, Greece
Hi there. Is there a list of compatible monitors with Mac M chip? I recently purchased a Mac mini M2 (2023) which I connected to my BENQ EX2510 monitor. My display is set to 1920 x 1080 at a 60 Hertz refresh rate. Unfortunately, the text rendering is far from ideal. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

AlphaCentauri

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2019
Norwich, United Kingdom
Hi there. Is there a list of compatible monitors with Mac M chip? I recently purchased a Mac mini M2 (2023) which I connected to my BENQ EX2510 monitor. My display is set to 1920 x 1080 at a 60 Hertz refresh rate. Unfortunately, the text rendering is far from ideal. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
All monitors are compatible with M chips. That’s how MacOS renders text on non Retina display. Nothing can be done about it, except buying at least 4K monitor and running it in Retina mode.

Reactions: wyrdness

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
All monitors are compatible with M chips. That’s how MacOS renders text on non Retina display. Nothing can be done about it, except buying at least 4K monitor and running it in Retina mode.
This is right unfortunately. There are people who say that even 4K isn't good enough. This isn't my experience. 4K does the job well, but anything less is disappointing.
There were incompatibilities with M1 and some Dell monitors. I don't know if that persists. I have a 4K 27” LG and it's fantastic.

EzisAA

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Riga, Latvia
Lots of people overlook the LG Ultrafine 24 inch 4K. This is the cheapest route to a display that renders text sharply with excellent contrast on Macs. Especially if you pick one up second hand.
For me LG Ultrafine 24 inch 4K is the best for the price and performance, now waiting, when it's be agen back to stock in Amazon. I want another one, because Thunderbolt daisy-chain allow up to two connect to Macbook Pro M2 Pro with one cable.

Reactions: meletkis

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Lots of people overlook the LG Ultrafine 24 inch 4K. This is the cheapest route to a display that renders text sharply with excellent contrast on Macs. Especially if you pick one up second hand.

For me LG Ultrafine 24 inch 4K is the best for the price and performance, now waiting, when it's be agen back to stock in Amazon. I want another one, because Thunderbolt daisy-chain allow up to two connect to Macbook Pro M2 Pro with one cable.
Are you talking about this specific model? I’m looking for a 27” version.

Last edited:

Sptzz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2024
Is this still happening with newer macs?

I have a m3 max mbp16" connected to a G34WQC thru usb-c to dp1.4 and I'm using betterdisplay to just 2x the res back to 3440x1440 (native) as the default native without upscaling looks blurry, in betterdisplay it shows next to the resolution, 144hz, 10bit.

In Display Settings, the OS picked up G34WQC color profile automatically, apparently it was already in Apple's database? How can I be sure it's running in RGB?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.