Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iomatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Posted this on the video thread; maybe more traction here.

QQs (maybe)— Collective thoughts wanted on Windows/Parallels and hardware:

I was looking at getting either a Surface or M1 MBA (only currently have a work-issued Mac, and iPad these days) to run Win honestly for the occasional hardware updates (flash drives that need a firmware update, amateur radio apps that also utilize Bluetooth, etc.)— how mature is M1+Win ARM+Parallels enough to drive/communicate via ports, etc.? Is it worth getting an M1 Mac at this point or just go with a Surface/low-end touch (kinda nice for SDR, if you know what that is)?

Thanks!

Reactions: do5dos

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
This is a good question!

I am a licensed Ham but haven't been active. Now I am looking to get back into it again...

Using the new M1 Mini it's still quite new and has teething issues with Bluetooth and Wifi...

Also, will not run Windows. That may change soon...

So I have lots of older 2011 Mac Minis laying around - can I use these Minis running Windows 10 with Amateur radio apps ?

What radios will support connection to the Mini ?

I used to be in the VHF and UHF repeaters in my college years ( I used to maintain a UHF repeater at UCLA Engineering) but lately I am finding interest in getting back into: 6m, HF, satellite...

Reactions: do5dos

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This is a good question!

I am a licensed Ham but haven't been active. Now I am looking to get back into it again...

Using the new M1 Mini it's still quite new and has teething issues with Bluetooth and Wifi...

Also, will not run Windows. That may change soon...

So I have lots of older 2011 Mac Minis laying around - can I use these Minis running Windows 10 with Amateur radio apps ?

What radios will support connection to the Mini ?

I used to be in the VHF and UHF repeaters in my college years ( I used to maintain a UHF repeater at UCLA Engineering) but lately I am finding interest in getting back into: 6m, HF, satellite...

Well I don’t know where you get your information? Windows Arm has been shown running on M1 Macs for over month by now!

iomatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
There are a few SDRs (software-defined radios) around to control hardware like FlexRadio (natively MacOS), and Windows versions as well as open-source and others to control Icom Radios. Kenwood has AFRC-D74 to control the (short-lived, now-discontinued) TH-D74 handheld, though Windows only.

Some are Bluetooth, wired, and in the case of Flex, WiFi and yes— even over the Internet remotely. Ham radio is evolving, albeit slowly to adapt to the Internet age.

There are also TNCs to connect like a modem through radio frequencies to run APRS (messaging), and digital voice (which only requires a digital-voice capable transceiver).

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Can you use that get to get Windows Arm with your keys or do you need to Active Directory?
I can try to see if license will work on an ARM version.

I run Windows 10 Enterprise on my personal 2012 Mini as well as my 2013 iMac using Bootcamp.

Hoping Apple will come out later with a M1 Bootcamp for Windows...

Just trying to avoid having to buy a license, I have volume W10 Enterprise licenses available from work that gets automatically activated from within the work network as soon as the client OS goes onto the network.

So I am being cheap....

iomatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Have you tried running any software on the M1 + Parallels M1 Preview + Windows ARM Preview to test hardware/software combos with USB and Bluetooth yet? Seems possible. (Wondering about drivers, etc.)

kk4jo

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2021
Well I don’t know where you get your information? Windows Arm has been shown running on M1 Macs for over month by now!

I get my information 6 months later and I'll tell you little progress has been made in real world apps running in Windows 10 ARM64. Sure Win10 ARM64 runs on the m1 but it runs with very few ham apps participating!

The YouTube vids are great but they are hype!

kk4jo

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2021
Get a Surface for the time being! You'll get more done in ham radio.
The Mac mini m1 that I'm running is just great but I'm playing hell getting anything to play my RTL.SDR that I played with for weeks on an HP laptop. I can't program my radios because the vendor specific programming apps don't work and chirp which does run won't support my radios.

I don't see any of the problems as insurmountable. It's just new. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying to get my drivers just right for Win10 and consider which $upported hardware I'll be able to buy.

Reactions: 4sallypat

iomatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
So I got a Surface since I last posted, and while it was totally functional, it was a user experience nightmare. Windows 11 was an improvement, and having RT Systems seamlessly copy/paste/import/etc. made things quite nice to move between radios.

But, wow. Windows apps are still terrible (specifically Ham radio software that look like they were programmed in the 90s. Everything still feels clunky— like Win 95 days). Click, this, accidentally select multiple things, the trackpad responsiveness— no, the entire OS responsiveness —is just awful. I'm so glad I went back to the Mac (on the M1 MBP now), and will even tolerate Parallels. That said, any updates here? Are people still running full Win x86 emulation instead of the ARM version? Will Ham apps even work in Win ARM (on Parallels or not)?

Be well!

Reactions: 4sallypat

iomatic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
Since Win ARM is 'official', following up on this question (before purchasing Parallels/Win 11 ARM):

Will Ham apps even work in Win ARM (on Parallels or not)? Specifically, Winlink FM, (ditched my HF gear recently, but might go back) etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.