Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new M2 iPad Pro, despite having been released over a year since the last model, appears to feature the same display and camera hardware as the previous generation iPad Pro introduced in April 2021.

iPad-Pro-M2.jpg

Starting with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the new sixth-generation model includes the exact same display hardware as last year's model, according to the compare sheet on Apple's website. Both models feature a Liquid Retina XDR display with a 2732-by-2048 resolution at 264ppi (pixels-per-inch) with support for ProMotion, True Tone, wide color, and more.

The only notable difference between the two models is the addition of hover support on Apple Pencil, a new feature coming to the M2 iPad Pro.

Regarding the 11-inch iPad Pro, the iPad still does not feature a mini-LED display like the 12.9-inch model. Instead, like last year's model, the fourth-generation 11-inch iPad Pro with M2 has a Liquid Retina display with a 2388-by-1668 resolution at 264ppi, ProMotion, wide color, and True Tone. The new model supports the same 600 nits of peak brightness as the 2021 model.

For the cameras on the 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes, there also appear to be no hardware changes. Both models feature a 12MP Wide camera with a ƒ/1.8 aperture and a 10MP Ultra Wide camera with a ƒ/2.4 aperture. The new models, do, however, support ProRes video recording at up to 4k at 60fps, previously not possible on the ‌iPad Pro‌, though this upgrade is likely due to the increased capabilities of the M2 chip rather than changes to camera hardware.

Article Link: M2 iPad Pro Seemingly Features Exact Same Display and Camera Hardware as 2021 Model

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
The new M2 iPad Pro, despite having been released over a year since the last model, appears to feature the same display and camera hardware as the previous generation iPad Pro introduced in April 2021.
Complete waste of an upgrade.
This is one of the smallest upgrades I can remember for an iPad.
Are we forgetting that new customers will benefit from any improvement to the product?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, because the M1 and blazing fast SSD in the old iPad Pro were too slow to do ProRes, LOL.

I’m really surprised they didn’t go landscape FaceTime on the Pro. Not that I’m buying one of these anyway. iPad just isn’t worth upgrading very often anymore. I might consider it in 2025.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I preordered as soon as the store came back online, to get one on launch day. Did this knowing I could cancel if I didn't like the specs. Really expected a relocated camera, now I'm on the fence.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Um, yeah...this means no upgrade of my 2020 11" model. But it also probably means that Apple is going to go with OLED in 2024, so they're not bothering to put mini-LED in the 11"

Reactions: Wags

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
i feel like i saved so much money this year because literally nothing apple has put out has been interesting (except maybe the apple watch ultra, but that thing is just incompatible with my wrists)

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
For every new product release, MR should publish an Outrage Matrix (tm) breaks down new product components vs previous components, and how angry users should be because of changes (or lack thereof).

It would be a handy way to become Outraged (tm) more quickly without having to comb through all the MR articles and comments.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I was looking for a reason to replace my M1 iPad Pro and this ain’t it. A faster processor and WiFi is pretty much it. Does the new modem do 5G UWB or just regular 5G?

Reactions: aypues

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Was hoping to upgrade my 2020 12.9" to get a mini-LED display and the deal breaker was going to be whether they finally moved the camera or not. To see that they did this for the iPad and not the Pro is heartbreaking.

Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.