Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
if you make an article at least make it be yours...these comparisons all users can fin in Apple website in compare section

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
No idea! This 13” model should not have been released to the market. Why does it exist?

The answer is corporate greed. There's no excuse. And MBA should have more port variety. Some of us do not need or want a chunky/powerful/heavy computer with a fan and dislike vehemently dongletown. A teacher or other professional who loves a thin-and-light such as MBA should not need to be messing around in school with different dongles and adapters to load photos or videos or play a slideshow or presentation from their MBA. Make MBA useful again.

Cue the person about to defend Apple. You don't need to defend billionaire Timmy in his private jet. Spidey sense says John Ternus is behind this M2 port-anaemic MBP existing. Get rid of this computer, Ternus.

Last edited:

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
Ohh he will gladly take your money! He is just busy draining multiple pockets concurrently at present. Remember the poor man has only got two ✋️.
LOL

Timmy will have to wait a little longer, I am seeing the reports of overheating in the M2 Macbook Pro. I'm going to wait for the early adopters to make sure there aren't problems!

• Sad
Reactions: snipr125

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
If it’s overheating on the MBP which has active cooling, how does this bode for the M2 Air which is fanless?
I would hope that the new design of the M2 Macbook Air chassis would cater for the thermal design needs of the M2 chip.

Whereas, the M2 MBP is using an old chassis and thermal design. My understanding is that none of the internals changed except for dropping in an M2 chip.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I would hope that the new design of the M2 Macbook Air chassis would cater for the thermal design needs of the M2 chip.

Whereas, the M2 MBP is using an old chassis and thermal design. My understanding is that none of the internals changed except for dropping in an M2 chip.
Hopefully its just isolated cases, or initial launch teething issues and will be fixed with an update. But just based on thermodynamics, if the thicker MBP with a fan is overheating, then the thinner fanless Air chassis (which by default has a smaller thermal envelope) is going to get hot in the same scenario. There is only so much they can do to improve heat flow in a newly designed, very thin chassis.

JMcN

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Vermont, USA
Are any of these MBP models' batteries user-replaceable? A swollen battery was the failure mode of my last laptop, and my current MacBook Pro (15" mid-2015) has had the same issue for a couple of years now. It's still usable, but starting to get flaky. What apple wants to replace a battery is ridiculous. (I long for the "good old days when I could upgrade RAM or storage myself and when batteries were replaceable.)

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
if you are tired about thinking iPadOS will get macOS features or get macOS Apps this mac may me a compromise because its small and has ‚some‘ touch features (in some apps this make sense). video editing is the most benefit in my opinion because of the hardware encoders.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Are any of these MBP models' batteries user-replaceable? A swollen battery was the failure mode of my last laptop, and my current MacBook Pro (15" mid-2015) has had the same issue for a couple of years now. It's still usable, but starting to get flaky. What apple wants to replace a battery is ridiculous. (I long for the "good old days when I could upgrade RAM or storage myself and when batteries were replaceable.)
You can service them, although I wouldn't recommend you to if you don't have the tech "savyness", tools or equipment.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
The notch nullifies all the other goodness. My work laptop has a thinner bezel and is still able to fit a great camera in it. I guess I will continue to wait to replace my old MacBook.

The Notch drives me crazy on my 14" MBP every time I have to slide/mouse to the right of it on the menu bar. People who say it's "unobtrusive" obviously aren't running applications that have a spate of menu items.

Reactions: tshrimp

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Ordered my 14" MacBook Pro 16GB 512GB Wednesday afternoon, saw that it had a 5 week wait, but at final checkout I was able to choose next day delivery and setup for free, and I got it Thursday afternoon. AMAZING. Total surprise, I thought it was too good to be true but here I am typing on the best keyboard I've ever used in my life.

Had the Air but I'm selling it. I love it, and the form factor can't be beat — it's probably the greatest thin laptop ever made, but I needed more power and higher external display resolution. The 14" is pretty incredible.

[EDIT: spelled "day" wrong :/ ]
I presume you've never used, or it was so long ago you forgot how it was, a 2012-2015 Retina generation rMBP? I upgraded from a 2015 rMBP to a 2021 16" M1P MBP, and the keyboard feel is pretty much identical, the only difference is that the new one has a louder, clackier, hollower sound to it. I'm used to it now, but when it first arrived I was shocked, and not in a good way. The 2015 remains the best keyboard I've ever used.

The audio was also better in the 2015. Sure, nowhere near as much bass, but the new one sounds muffled, muddy, and hollow in comparison, especially with spoken voice. It can be improved by cranking the bass right down with Audio Hijack's 10 band EQ, but still doesn't sound right.

Pretty much everything else though, the new one blows away the 2015.

Reactions: mudflap

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Guide to choosing RAM and SSD size:

Look at your current maximum RAM usage, round it up to the nearest 8/16/32... size, and double it.

Look at your current SSD used capacity, round it up to the nearest 256/512/1/2... size, and double it.

Expensive, but won't leave you high and dry.

And Timmy, about the obnoxious Apple Tax you apply to RAM/SSD prices. Just remember, karma doesn't take your money, it takes your happiness.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
^why would anyone need double the storage space of their current SSD, if it’s perfectly enough for them.

Same with ram. If you’re using 8GB and never going beyond green in the ram pressure of activity monitor, then why would you need to double it?

Not really the best guide ever.

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
The M2 chip is a LEMON. LOL. Don't buy. Go M1 MAX

All that video tells me is that this new MacBook Pro isn’t properly *optimized* for the M2 chip, something that anyone could’ve told you from a mile away.
It’s using the exact same body with the exact same heating system from the old Intel MacBook Pro‘s.
Clearly very little thought went into the actual product.
Let’s see how the M2 chip performs in designs that were specifically tailored around it, like The new MacBook Air, the new iMac, and hopefully the new Mac Mini.
Also, simply saying “go M1max” isn’t very constructive, you can get an M2 computer for $1199 (even cheaper with education discounts and such) but the cheapest M1max laptop is $2899, over double the price.
It’s also thicker, heavier, and overly powerful for the majority of people

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
The most important question for me is - how many monitors you want to operate and how important is the monitors max frequency ( i.e. up to 144 Hz ) for your eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.