Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple updated the 24-inch iMac, with the headline upgrade being the M3 chip for significantly improved performance. Other new features include Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.3, and up to 24GB of unified memory.

iMac-M3-Blue-Feature.jpg

The new iMac can be purchased from the Apple's online store, with prices starting at $1,299. Apple began accepting orders on October 30, and new iMac will begin arriving to customers and launch in stores on Tuesday, November 7.

Ahead of time, the first reviews of the laptops have been shared by select media outlets and YouTube channels, and we have rounded up some of them below.

Written Reviews

TechRadar's Matt Hanson pointed out the iMac's continued use of Lightning ports on its Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Mouse:

Sticking to the same design also brings back some old frustrations, such as the charging port on the bottom of the Magic Mouse, which means you can't use it while it's charging, plus a reliance on the increasingly obsolete Lightning connection for charging all of the peripherals, rather than getting with the times and using USB-C.

TechCrunch's Brian Heater downplayed the significance of the continued use of the Lightning port, but emphasised that it was time for Apple to move on:

Apple's desktop accessories are one of the few remaining vestiges of a connector that's past its prime. It largely won't bother you. There's less daily wear, as most people don't plug and unplug their keyboards and trackpads at the same rate they do their phones. Also, you're probably not going to get pocket lint jammed in there. Still, it's time for to Apple rip off the Band-Aid off, once and for all.

Early Geekbench 6 benchmark results indicated that the M3 chip is up to 40% faster than the M1 used in the previous iMac from 2021.

Digital Trends's Luke Larsen on the performance improvements delivered by the M3 chip:

Moving from the M1 to the M3 is a big jump. Even if you think the performance changes between each individual generation aren't too exciting, skipping one adds up to a noticeable difference.

When you look at Cinebench R23 scores, the M3 is a whopping 20% faster in both single-core and multi-core. That's massive. It means no matter what the strenuous task is, the M3 iMac will be at least 20% faster. A good example is a simple video encoding test in Handbrake. The M3 iMac encoded the same video to H.265 27% faster than the M1 iMac.

It shows how far Apple has taken these chips in just a few generations, especially on the GPU front. I was sent the 10-core GPU model, and with the inclusion of Dynamic Caching, this little iMac is a pretty solid little engine for graphics. In the Cinebench 2024 GPU test, it was 35% faster than the M1 Pro in a 14-inch MacBook Pro despite having six less GPU cores. Meanwhile, the M3 iMac beats the M2 Pro in the Mac mini by 20% in this same graphics test. Again, I think you can credit Dynamic Caching for doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that comparison.

The M3 chip is among Apple's first 3nm chips. The M3 chip features eight CPU cores like the M1 chip, but it now offers an eight- or 10-core GPU, rather than the seven- or eight-core GPU of the M1. It also features a 4.05 GHz CPU clock speed, up from 3.20 GHz on the M1 chip, more memory bandwidth, support for AV1 decode, and a new GPU architecture with Dynamic Caching, hardware-accelerated ray tracing, and hardware-accelerated mesh shading.

Tom's Hardware's Brandon Hill on the 2023 iMac as a whole:

The iMac has always been a reasonably economical system for Mac users who want "just the basics" in an everyday computer. The screen is large, bright, and colorful. The minimalist design blends in with just about any décor (and you can choose from various colors to match), and the new Apple M3 chip provides a big jump in performance compared to the M1 model that debuted in 2021.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few "gotchas" here. While the $1,299 starting price is enticing, you're saddled with just 8GB of unified memory and a 256GB SSD. That's hardly enough to futureproof the iMac. A simple upgrade to 16GB of memory costs a staggering $200, while storage upgrades are equally pricey.

If you want Gigabit Ethernet, that's a $30 upcharge, and you only get two Thunderbolt 4 ports on base systems. You must spend at least $1,499 to get two Thunderbolt 4 ports and two USB 3 ports.

Apple's iMac is an excellent all-in-one macOS machine, though it's in need of a rethink when it comes to its pricing and available configurations.

Video Reviews

Article Link: M3 iMac Reviews: Impressive Chip Performance but Lightning Accessories Disappoint

Last edited:

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
I really wonder what Apple does all year when virtually every product line is just minor updates, the entire iPad lineup is just languishing, and they can't even be bothered to update lightning accessories to go along with their Mac updates.

I guess the USB-C Apple pencil took up all their bandwidth.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I’m not going to watch them but I’d be surprised if even one YouTuber has a single negative thing to say about the Lightning ports, the base configuration (8/256) or the number of ports.
Most YouTubers didn't agree with keeping Lightning past 2021, let alone 2023. This is ridiculous and impossible to understand from Apple. Not like it was a feat of engineering to accomplish, and not like they didn't have enough time either.

They should really have upped the price by $125 and included 16 GB as a base config.

Although I find 256 GB quite ridiculous, I think it's OK for most people, but if you're a developer, I did try a 256GB before, and I had to sell this Mac. It's simply impossible to use Xcode with such a limited amount of storage.

GuyDouche

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2023
Since the departure of Jobs, Cook has been driving the company to maximise profit gains, rather than pushing innovation and fresh technology. This has allowed Cook for some time, the use the company name and the foundation which Jobs has established, to leverage its following to continue to purchase and hope for that product magic Jobs was only able to curate and provide.
I believe it’s been long overdue for Cook to step off and bring back Apple to its root, to think and innovate differently. What goes up, must come down. Lest Apple can pull off some magic with new hardware, I can’t fathom how much longer AppleHeads are going to continue to support Apples current sub-par hardware specification, just to tout that they have the “latest & greatest”.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Most YouTubers didn't agree with keeping Lightning past 2021, let alone 2023. This is ridiculous and impossible to understand from Apple. Not like it was a feat of engineering to accomplish, and not like they didn't have enough time either.

They should really have upped the price by $125 and included 16 GB as a base config.

Although I find 256 GB quite ridiculous, I think it's OK for most people, but if you're a developer, I did try a 256GB before, and I had to sell this Mac. It's simply impossible to use Xcode with such a limited amount of storage.

It’s not so much that it starts at 256, it’s that it’s $200 to take it to 512 and $400 to take it to 1TB. And that that’s a single 256GB module so it’s half the storage throughput of the $200 upgrade.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I’m not going to watch them but I’d be surprised if even one YouTuber has a single negative thing to say about the Lightning ports, the base configuration (8/256) or the number of ports.

The genius of this whole setup is they get early access to Apples brand new stuff. How do they make their money? Eyeballs. What's a great way to get lots of eyeballs? Being among the FIRST to "review" brand new Apple tech.

Now, if they had a negative opinion that they really hammered, what could happen? Apple could drop them from the "Friends of Apple" influencer pool... which would then mean no more early access... which would then mean no eyeballs... so no advertising revenue for very lucrative first reviews.

Thus, there is HIGH incentive to please Apple Marketing, as measured in the most tangible terms.

To try to look legit, I notice a few will have something somewhat negative to say... only to be quickly followed by "but..." and then statements to marginalize their own complaint/gripe (if they dare share one).

Long story short: nothing OBJECTIVE to see here. Wait for these Macs to be in hands of people who BUY them and one can get much more objective reviews with no advertising revenue punishment for saying anything short of gushing praise.

I see all of these pre-launch "reviews" as only an extension of Apple Marketing... with a POTENT incentive to be sure their opinions are biased to help maximize sales vs. providing truly objective points. There's big advertising dollars at stake. Don't poke the bear.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VaruLV and Chuckeee

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The genius of this whole setup is they get early access to Apples brand new stuff. How do they make their money? Eyeballs. What's a great way to get lots of eyeballs? Being among the FIRST to "review" brand new Apple tech.

Now, if they had a negative opinion that they really hammered, what could happen? Apple could drop them from the "Friends of Apple" influencer pool... which would then mean no more early access... which would then mean no eyeballs... so no advertising revenue for very lucrative first reviews.

Thus, there is HIGH incentive to please Apple Marketing, as measured in the most tangible terms.

To try to look legit, I notice a few will have something somewhat negative to say... only to be quickly followed by "but..." and then statement to marginalize their own complaint/gripe (if they dare share one).

Long story short: nothing OBJECTIVE to see here. Wait for these to be in hands of people who BUY them and one can get much more objective reviews with no advertising revenue punishment for saying anything short of gushing praise.

I see all of these pre-launch "reviews" as only an extension of Apple Marketing... with a POTENT incentive to be sure their opinions are biased to help maximize sales vs. providing truly objective points.

This is why MKBHD is the only well known one I take even remotely seriously. He never really gives them a hard time but he does at least point out things that people could see as a problem.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Of course not, then how will they get all the free stuff from Apple?
...and all that advertising revenue from being among the first to get to post "reviews" of Apple's newest stuff. More valuable than free stuff is the big pot of dollars. No need to say anything less than gushing praise, else put them future 💰💰💰 at risk.

Later, when others can actually buy the new products and produce objective reviews after some time with them, the quantities that will see those reviews will be MUCH lower even if the quality of such reviews- particularly the objectivity therein- will be superior for consumers interested in more than just the pros side of the buying consideration. Those reviews will yield LESS advertising revenue for being "late" with their reviews but consumers will at least get to hear the other side of the overall story.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaruLV

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The M3 is a big upgrade - these reviews confirm my plans to buy one, and upgrading the SSD to 1 TB.

I am very confused on why lightning is such a huge deal for many - the computers some with a USB C to lightning connector, matched to the color you choose. I have the numeric keyboard and trackpad for my M1 iMac, along with a nice yellow corded USB C to lightning connector. You need to charge the peripherals once a month, at most. When you do, simply plug the USB C cord into one of the ports on the Mac, then charge your peripheral. Moving to USB C on the actual peripherals would add nothing to the functionality of them - so why does it matter?

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
If you need more, then order the upspec model, or buy a hub.

You realize Apple makes these decisions off telemetry, right? I suspect a look at the numbers would have people astounded at how rarely the average user plugs something into their computer anymore.

I assume that Apple telemetry doesn't work so well.
It gave them the idea that 27" iMac users only used 24 inches of their screen, that can't be right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.