Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
M1 is 3.20 GHz
M3 is 4.05 GHz
So M1 at M3 speed should be 26.6% faster… Yet tests show M3 being only 20% faster than M1? What's going on here? Aren't there any architectural improvements at all?
Those are max frequencies... neither chip is going to maintain that over a sustained workload. And no, there likely aren't any huge improvements to the core architecture, so the speed is mostly through the die shrink which allows the faster clock. (GPU did see major improvements though.)

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I would’ve thought the magic mouse would’ve been fixed YEARS ago.

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
If you need more, then order the upspec model, or buy a hub.

You realize Apple makes these decisions off telemetry, right? I suspect a look at the numbers would have people astounded at how rarely the average user plugs something into their computer anymore.
Do you have evidence for that? There are many of us who could work with a basic product only to see it stifled by poor connectivity. It happens all the time, same as with the 8/256 Gb issue. Apple know that many will then buy the next model up and take the hit. It costs next to nothing to add a few more ports.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Do you have evidence for that? There are many of us who could work with a basic product only to see it stifled by poor connectivity. It happens all the time, same as with the 8/256 Gb issue. Apple know that many will then buy the next model up and take the hit. It costs next to nothing to add a few more ports.

It's so weird how these articles bring out people who are A: complete experts B: always ready to change the world if only Apple wasn't holding them back by some minor thing solved by a $20 accessory if they feel so limited.

So weird.
I assume that Apple telemetry doesn't work so well.
It gave them the idea that 27" iMac users only used 24 inches of their screen, that can't be right.

I have a 27" iMac. I like my 27" iMac - I'm using it right now.

I don't blame Apple for killing it. I don't think it sold well at all, especially post 2018 Mini and 2019 Mac Pro. For a decade the internet loudly insisted they didn't want the 27" iMac, they wanted a desktop between the Mini and the Mac Pro where they could just keep their own monitor rather than needing to 'throw it out' just because they wanted to upgrade the computer.

They now have that, and the complaints are 'how dare you give me what I've wanted for a decade'.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Personally I am OK with the iMac concept gradually moving off into the shadows.

The original Bondi Blue G3 iMac was a revolution and saved Apple's bacon way back then.

But the time of all in ones has gone.

I am far happier to use a Mac Mini or Studio with a 3rd party display.
Right now I am still using a 27" Apple LED display (2010) and while the display is still 100%, I have had 2 Macs come and go…

Now imagine if I had to throw away the functioning monitor each time?
What a waste that'd be.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
My wife was waiting for a new iMac. This came up short. I got her an open-box M1 for $1300 (16/512). The same config for an M3 was $1900. The $600 extra was not worth it for her use case. She's a Telehealth psychologist, not a video editor.

nimitz9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
I’m not going to watch them but I’d be surprised if even one YouTuber has a single negative thing to say about the Lightning ports, the base configuration (8/256) or the number of ports.
I watched the everyday dad video, not mentioned.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
It's so weird how these articles bring out people who are A: complete experts B: always ready to change the world if only Apple wasn't holding them back by some minor thing solved by a $20 accessory if they feel so limited.

So weird.

I have a 27" iMac. I like my 27" iMac - I'm using it right now.

I don't blame Apple for killing it. I don't think it sold well at all, especially post 2018 Mini and 2019 Mac Pro. For a decade the internet loudly insisted they didn't want the 27" iMac, they wanted a desktop between the Mini and the Mac Pro where they could just keep their own monitor rather than needing to 'throw it out' just because they wanted to upgrade the computer.

They now have that, and the complaints are 'how dare you give me what I've wanted for a decade'.
I have at least 3 friends in my circle who wanted to upgrade their 27" iMacs. Those 3 people have now just kept what they had even though the machines are either no longer eligible for updates or developed faults. Unless you buy a Studio Display or LG Ultrafine you can't buy the 5k screen that was the joy of using the 27" iMac. I can't see iMac users forking out for a Mac Pro + a screen. The Mini would be fine if Apple made a reasonably priced 5K screen ... maybe with even some height adjustment thrown in. Their marketing is cynical.

In answer to your first point, I don't understand what you're getting at. You don't have to be an expert to know that many people hated the idea of dongles which is what you end up with as even a modest user. Reducing ports never used to be a thing - give people options

Reactions: CarAnalogy

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Most YouTubers didn't agree with keeping Lightning past 2021, let alone 2023. This is ridiculous and impossible to understand from Apple. Not like it was a feat of engineering to accomplish, and not like they didn't have enough time either.

They should really have upped the price by $125 and included 16 GB as a base config.

Although I find 256 GB quite ridiculous, I think it's OK for most people, but if you're a developer, I did try a 256GB before, and I had to sell this Mac. It's simply impossible to use Xcode with such a limited amount of storage.
They must have a couple of containers of Lightning chips that they need to use up.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I have at least 3 friends in my circle who wanted to upgrade their 27" iMacs. Those 3 people have now just kept what they had even though the machines are either no longer eligible for updates or developed faults. Unless you buy a Studio Display or LG Ultrafine you can't buy the 5k screen that was the joy of using the 27" iMac. I can't see iMac users forking out for a Mac Pro + a screen. The Mini would be fine if Apple made a reasonably priced 5K screen ... maybe with even some height adjustment thrown in. Their marketing is cynical.

In answer to your first point, I don't understand what you're getting at. You don't have to be an expert to know that many people hated the idea of dongles which is what you end up with as even a modest user. Reducing ports never used to be a thing - give people options

Oh wow, your anecdote totally destroys the data, thank you, now Apple will close without your three friends who clearly hadn't bought a Mac in a long time anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Imperial926

nimitz9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
They must have a couple of containers of Lightning chips that they need to use up.
Apple must have all kinds of chip production contracts, guaranteed priority access, quantity, etc with TSMC. Sure there are financial reasons Apple did this.

Reactions: NMBob

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Once again it looks like most of the reviewers reviewed "non-standard" configurations that of course included additional memory.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
Beautiful machine! But the real base configuration is 16/512. A great upgrade from our 2013 21.5” iMac!
I agree, that 24" monitor is beautiful and completely useful. Your 21.5" is obviously the replacement Apple is going for, and if you keep this new machine for 10 years you're not going to regret the money you spent to upgrade it. I hope you enjoy your new computer!

(I work (with Windows *gasp*) on 27" monitors all day. Unless I throw windows to the sides to work on apps side-by-side, I'm almost never using the full 27". I'd rather have 2x24" monitors, but I don't want to spend the money to change my setup right now. 🤝)

Reactions: Chuckeee

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
The iMac was literally introduced off the idea of reducing ports. No ADB, no legacy serial, no floppy drive. The supposed techie class at the time screamed that no one would want it and that it was the worst thing ever.

Normal consumers didn't care, and still don't.

There was nothing to be lost from ditching serial and parallel in favor of USB.
But lack of floppy disk was a massive pain.
They really should have ditched it with the G4.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
I think the fans of the EU can relax, this is more about Tim Apple being a penny-pincher than being anti-USB-C.

I’ve said it a million times. If you’re all about maxing shareholder value, Tim Cook is your guy. If you’re about Apple doing right and providing excellent service and value to the customers, someone else is needed.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
But the time of all in ones has gone.

I am far happier to use a Mac Mini or Studio with a 3rd party display.
Right now I am still using a 27" Apple LED display (2010) and while the display is still 100%, I have had 2 Macs come and go…

Now imagine if I had to throw away the functioning monitor each time?
What a waste that'd be.
No, the time of the AIO hasn't gone. iMac is still incredibly popular.

Not sure what you are going on about with throwing away a functioning monitor. If someone wasn't using their iMac then just sell it! There's always a buyer.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I plan to pick up a base for my cafe. The lack of ports are a non issue. As well as the memory or ram. I even use a base iPad 10th 64gb as a KDS. So many fail to realize that there are multiple markets for base configuration tech.

Reactions: Chuckeee

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
No, the time of the AIO hasn't gone. iMac is still incredibly popular.

Not sure what you are going on about with throwing away a functioning monitor. If someone wasn't using their iMac then just sell it! There's always a buyer.
*sigh*
Try reading my post again.
It might make a bit more sense if you try to see past your red mist…

If the computer side of an iMac fails but the display still functions it gets tossed.
Surely not that difficult for you to understand.

If you're still unclear, ask again… and I'll try to make it simpler for you.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
If you need more, then order the upspec model, or buy a hub.

You realize Apple makes these decisions off telemetry, right? I suspect a look at the numbers would have people astounded at how rarely the average user plugs something into their computer anymore.
We have too many arm-chair 'product development' quarterbacks on this site that have zero professional experience designing products/services to balance cost, design time, feature usage and profitability.

Ya'll can downvote this if you want to, but that doesn't make it any less true. Everyone wants 'enthusiast features' for entry-level prices. And it's never worked like that, even on a 1950s automobile.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I’m not going to watch them but I’d be surprised if even one YouTuber has a single negative thing to say about the Lightning ports, the base configuration (8/256) or the number of ports.

I tried...but I couldn't make it past 30 seconds before I stopped the iJustine video.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
*sigh*
Try reading my post again.
It might make a bit more sense if you try to see past your red mist…

If the computer side of an iMac fails but the display still functions it gets tossed.
Surely not that difficult for you to understand.

If you're still unclear, ask again… and I'll try to make it simpler for you.
Just get it repaired. Why throw away good hardware? If warranty/Apple Care has expired and you choose not to pay the repair costs then then you can still sell the old machine as someone will take it and do a DIY repair themselves. You can then put that towards a new replacement - you know, like what most sane people do.

Also bare in mind you can keep Apple Care rolling annually these days, so you can always get the best care for your expensive investment years in to the future. This applies for all Apple hardware, not just Macs.

I can dumb it down further if it helps and if you want to persist with this ridiculous scenario like its still 1998.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.