Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I tried...but I couldn't make it past 30 seconds before I stopped the iJustine video.

100% She has always seemed like a nice person but her reviews are SO, SO, SO cursory and always 1000% positive, almost repeating the marketing speak... by far the least useful reviews from a "popular" tech reviewer on all of YouTube.

• Haha
Reactions: Gudi

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
They are going to release USB-C versions of those accessories in early 2024 I am sure, easy double dip.

there will be a full revision of the iMac lineup with the M4 in 18-24 months that will return to the small and large model of devices (despite what they said today, they will likely launch a 32 inch model) and have body changes like a further reduction in bezels, the chin, a M4 Pro option in at least the larger model, and finally revised keyboards and accessories that physically maybe a bit different PLUS have USB-C. they didn't want to rev the current accessories to only sell them for 18-24 months until the change, because Apple loves their profits.

• Angry
Reactions: Chuckeee

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Keeping the lightning port for accessories is a non-issue. Performance is a not issue and the connector is robust and I can guarantee you just about everyone with a Mac has multiple lightning cords laying around if you loose the one in the box. Let them burn up their back stock.

Reactions: Chuckeee

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
2 ports on a desktop. What a joke.
We have the 2-port iMac M1 model as our standard configuration. It was totally fine and less confusing to the end users. This time around, I shall recommend the 4-port SKU. I have seen people connect the bundled Lightning to USB-C cable in between the keyboard and iMac permanently and nothing else.

I’m not going to watch them but I’d be surprised if even one YouTuber has a single negative thing to say about the Lightning ports, the base configuration (8/256) or the number of ports.
I really don't see the problem for keeping the Lightning ports on peripherals in late 2023. They could have redesigned the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad with the launch of new iMac but obviously this wasn't the time. I also didn't expect Apple to go beyond the 8GB memory and 256GB storage configuration on all the models.

Reactions: picpicmac

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
When there’s a vibe and Apple comes in to kill it. This post-covid Apple, Inc. has gotten really bad .. and last week’s financial earnings kind of exposed that
Not sure how you were interpreting the earnings, but maybe you had a different set.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Not sure how you were interpreting the earnings, but maybe you had a different set.
Saw similar reactions saying the earnings are proof that Apple is doomed and the death spiral has begun.

I am wondering if there was some alternate earnings report people saw.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
2 ports on a desktop. What a joke.
The base 8/256 model is basically a lower educational/office reception model and 2 ports is fine.

In those environments it’s frowned upon allowing anything to be plugged into them.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
How does the base model iMac compare to the 13 inch MacBook Pro that was just discontinued in performance? It’s not a laptop, but it looks like you get a decent set up for same money.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I’ve never gotten the “not enough ports” and “you throw away a good monitor when it dies” complaints with the smaller iMac, I’ve seen most of these things run for 6-10 years in personal environments before being replaced, having lived a very good life and keeping the desk clean. Usually owned by non technical users who rarely would plug something besides a flash drive in, much less need two thunderbolt lanes. I suppose some of this these days comes from Apple discontinuing the 27” iMac and not really offering a replacement for its price point.

I would probably be considered a power user by some classifications and I could probably live on 1 thunderbolt port, although it would be pretty annoying.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Keeping the lightning port for accessories is a non-issue. Performance is a not issue and the connector is robust and I can guarantee you just about everyone with a Mac has multiple lightning cords laying around if you loose the one in the box. Let them burn up their back stock.

Yup.

Or they could really mess with the naysayers by releasing a mouse that charges with a MagSafe connector that sticks to the top/front

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Of course not, then how will they get all the free stuff from Apple?
Actually they get nothing free from Apple. What they get are review units and after a certain period they have to return them.

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
The iMac was literally introduced off the idea of reducing ports. No ADB, no legacy serial, no floppy drive. The supposed techie class at the time screamed that no one would want it and that it was the worst thing ever.

Normal consumers didn't care, and still don't.
OK, I give in. You're right about everything and I know nothing.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
100% She has always seemed like a nice person but her reviews are SO, SO, SO cursory and always 1000% positive, almost repeating the marketing speak... by far the least useful reviews from a "popular" tech reviewer on all of YouTube.

Yes, I'm sure she is a nice person...and very successful one too. I just don't find it very informative nor compelling to watch.

There are countless other 'influencers" who have the same consistently positive reviews of products yet she is the one who gets targeted the most by people with negative comments. I wonder why.

I can't speak for others, but I'm not a fan of her 'delivery'.

It may be authentic, but I suppose I'm over that gasp, OMG facial expression. I get it that's her brand. For me, it was cute...15 years ago.

Reactions: Imperial926

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
It’s not so much that it starts at 256, it’s that it’s $200 to take it to 512 and $400 to take it to 1TB. And that that’s a single 256GB module so it’s half the storage throughput of the $200 upgrade.
Is this confirmed? Because I think in the M1 iMac those were two 128GB SSD modules.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Personally I am OK with the iMac concept gradually moving off into the shadows.

The original Bondi Blue G3 iMac was a revolution and saved Apple's bacon way back then.

But the time of all in ones has gone.

I am far happier to use a Mac Mini or Studio with a 3rd party display.
Translation: I don’t need an iMac right now, therefore the AiO concept is obsolete.

By this reasoning I regret to inform you all that the time of the laptop is long gone. 🤷🚫💻

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.