Mac Mini 2012

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bf2008, Jul 14, 2012.

1. bf2008 macrumors member

Hi, was wondering what you realistically expect to see in the next base model of mac minis, and when you expect them to be released.
    I'm talking here about the base model, we already have quad core, graphics card etc, but in more expensive models.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Have a look at the numerous threads already covering this topic, fella.

3. bf2008 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, I don't think there's a thread covering the base mac mini model specifically. And if so could you let me know?

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

oct 2012 the latest. this tue the 17 of july as the earliest.

my best guess is july 31st. lets start a pool!

5. alias99 macrumors regular

Apple won't launch them separately. Other threads are all you need to hear about rumours and opinions. All Mac minis will be launched together either at the end of the month or by October at the latest.

6. theRAMman macrumors regular

in the new base mini, expect ivy bridge processors, intel 4000 graphics and probably more thunderbolt ports. I doubt they will redesign the chassis but if they do it will probably be a little slimmer. hopefully the ludicrously small 2gb of RAM will be increased to at lease 4gb. I wish they would backtrack and reinstall a superdrive, but its not like apple to go back on its word.

7. bf2008 thread starter macrumors member

And what components you expect it to have in the base model (assuming pricing stays the same)? Perhaps quad core? SSD? USB3?

8. theRAMman macrumors regular

usb 3's are a no brainer, possibly quadcore but i think SSD's would probably stay as an expensive option, but im not saying that its not possible ;)

----------

actually, thinking about it, quadcores have the potential to be introduced. Apple are often looking to make computers to last, and i dont think dual cores really hold the future potential for use in a desktop. If a quadcore means increasing the size, i dont think many people would be sad, its so small already a larger form factor would still mean its pretty small

9. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I really doubt quad cores will be introduced into the base, 599, model as the prices for the quad cores chips are fairly high aswell as the need for quad cores in the cheapest mini is close to 0 because its not intended for people who need that power.
    I'd say the base would have the same 2.5GHz dual core i5 as in the entry 13 MBP because apple has to keep a certain profit margin and that cpu offers more then enough processing power for the majority of users. 4GB would definitely be standard aswell and a 500GB HDD like at the moment. Any better components and apple would need to be selling the base model for more.

10. bf2008 thread starter macrumors member

well, I agree that quad core in the base model would be too nice from apple, but actually, in the middle model it's quite possible. There's no reason to offer it only for the server option. But then, if they offer in the middle model they'll have to offer it too for the base model, otherwise it wouldn't be very apple-like.

11. klmaj macrumors member

Hello friends, this is my first post here and I too came here to find out about this. My current 2009 mini is getting a bit long in the tooth now. I was about to pull the trigger on a mini but I saw the buyers guide. It says don't buy and I realise this computer was last updated like a year ago. I'm not wanting to buy a one year old machine but I'm really wanting to sell my current one and get a new one. I'm stuck.

12. bf2008 thread starter macrumors member

Just keep waiting. Maybe upgrade the ram to improve performance. You can probably use the same ram modules in the new mini (but check it).

13. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Yes its quite possible they offer it as an upgrade, BTO, for an extra 100-150, but I think more unlikely as standard. The main reason for the price difference between the current middle model and base model is that the middle model has a discrete GPU. If they continue with the discrete GPU only in middle but not base model then I think they will offer the 2.9GHz i7 from the high end 13" MBP. Again, still more then enough processing power and not as expensive as a quad core. Also only if apple manages to cram in a quad core and discrete GPU with the current thermal constraints, which is why you cant have a quad in the current middle model, then they will offer the quad as an upgrade.

Well actually apple doesn't offer any CPU upgrades in any of its base models, apart from the Mac Pro. They haven't in the past years. Thats part of how apple sells it products. If you want a computer with a faster CPU you have to purchase at least the next most expensive model so you also purchase, usually, bigger HDD, more RAM, better GPU etc. even if you don't need it. Its very smart because they over charge for things like HDD's and RAM so they make more money.
    I would bet money that the base model will not be offered with a CPU upgrade. :D Offering a CPU upgrade to base models would be un apple like :D

They will probably use 1600 MHz RAM like they added to the MBP's and MBA's. So buy those directly, they work with the current models aswell.

14. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I'm really hoping for a 2nd TB port and an option for quad core with discrete GPU. Quad plus discrete would depend on what processor TDP choices are available and someone smarter than me could probably already say with pretty good certainty if it is feasible.

15. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well there are very big thermal constraints at the moment. Quad and discrete GPU produces a LOT of heat. And ONE small fan cant cool that down, hence why the 15" MBP's have 2 fans. If apple changes the design and casing of the mac mini they might be able to have better cooling, if not I don't think their is the space for an extra fan, unless they no longer offer the possibility for two HDD's/SSD's and use the the space that would otherwise be used for a second HDD (or be empty) for cooling. I doubt thats going to happen though.

16. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I would assume the base model would be 4GB of 1600 MHz ram, Core i5 dual core 2.5Ghz processor (3210M), a 500 GB HDD (hoping for 7200 RPM) and USB 3.0

Plan on picking one up to act as a Media center PC and a USB 3.0 hub for my MBP, got a couple of the new miniStacks this week, going to connect those to mini through USB 3.0 and the mini to the MBP with thunderbolt, that way I can use the hard drives connected to the mini with the MBP also!

Quite a better deal then the Belkin thunderbolt hub for me, all I wanted that for was the USB 3.0 ports anyways.

17. ivnj macrumors 65816

How can we be sure about october, and not november or december??

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Wait til Oct. 31st at 11:59 PM

...but which time zone? :eek:

19. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

I think you make a little mistake here. A 35W CPU always makes as much heat as any other 35W CPU, no matter if it's Quad- or Dual-Core. So the 3612qm makes just as much heat as the 2,5 GHz i5 currently used in the mid Mini. And a GeForce GT640M LE makes just a tiny little bit more heat than the 6630M currently used in the same model. So where's the problem? I don't think Apple can't cope with 4 watt more power usage / heat. If they use a quieter fan, nobody will mind if the fan runs 300 rpm faster all the time.

20. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Ahhhh ok. I didn't think they had 35W quads. My bad, I didnt research :D
    I know the quads in the MBP are 45W thats what I was talking about :p
    You have a point, they could do it that way yes.

21. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I think Apple have gone too far with the "Doesn't it look nice, isn't it incredibly small and neat" philosophy.

Within reason, I couldn't give a toss about how incredibly small and neat it is. Just give me a decent quad core, decent graphics option(s) and USB3 and I will be over the moon. If that's in a box twice the size, does ANYONE really mind? I certainly do not.

22. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I agree completely. Interesting to note that the 640M LE makes slightly more heat than the 6630M. How about the regular 640M? Is that more?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind 300 more rpm though again I'm not in the market for this Mini I just want to eagerly see the updates.

If it's a bit bigger, I won't mind. I would kind of mind if I can't change the memory like before, but then again I suggested I wouldn't mind if they soldered the memory. Personally, I don't want them to do that though if they did I would reluctantly accept.

23. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Well, the LE version needs about 16 - 19 watt energy (depending on configuration), while the 'normal' version needs 30W. The raw processing power isn't too bad on the LE version, as long as it uses Kepler chips with GDDR5 memory you can get out nearly as many fps in games as on the regular version - the DDR3 version with the older chips isn't nearly as good, but they wouldn't use it anyway as it's only slightly cheaper and drains more energy.

24. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Thank you for that information. That all but confirms they won't be using the normal 640M. It'll either be the 640M LE or lower (630M or such which I hope it isn't).

25. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

They have to use at least the 640M LE to get a good upgrade to the 6630M. So I suppose (or at least hope) they'll use it.