Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Personally, I think a Mini / Apple TV update is more suited for MacWorld '09. Any big new product announcement after this month seems unlikely and too close to the holiday season to warrant another event.

I think this is probably correct, especially if the rumor of an NVidia switch is true. After all, the Mini has always been a MacBook in a desktop config. It would make for a rather remarkable computer, that's for sure.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
(Oct. 14th 2008)

"...OH, and ONE MORE THING.

The Mini is discontinued. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT! YAY!"

j/k

I think they will bring out an update sometime, if not this week. My money is still on the March rumor claiming the Mini was getting a complete overhaul. What it means specifically (bigger or smaller) I have no guess. With the super condensing going on with the iPT it would be really cool if the mini gets super compressed into something 2/3 the current size.. Personally--I want them to expand the drives out of small notebook drives while reducing the rest so it stays the same size but has 1TB internal capabilities.

aplownspc

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
that would be sad cause with smaller faster components now they could easily make it a much more popular item among small desktops (even though its already popular)

m2er

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2007
So many mac mini's being sold on ebay

I don't know what this means...if anything, but I continually looked for a good deal on a mac mini and have noticed for the past 3 weeks the same guy has been selling 2.0ghz 2GB memory mac mini nib on ebay. He has been selling 6 at a time...it sure seems like a lot of machines for one person to have in stock.:confused:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If I was going back to school right now I would get a MacMini and a 21 inch Cintiq as the monitor/art platform. Perfect. Attach a 1TB external for masses of media. Done. Might not be the fastest machine, but I could transport easily and do everything on it with ease.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
I've said it once, and I'll say it a million times. Apple can't afford to discontinue the Mac mini in this economy. Wall Street would hammer them for doing so. If anything, they want Apple to release more Macs underneath the $1000 price point. I would look for a new Mac mini in two weeks. ;)

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Actually the more I think about this the more I can imagine a "one more thing" on Tuesday. I mean it just seems to make sense after so long with nothing! Maybe I will finally get a Mini!!! :D

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
I've said it once, and I'll say it a million times. Apple can't afford to discontinue the Mac mini in this economy.

The mini needs to go back to the g4 prices with a min of 2gb of ram.

apple can't drop the mini in any economy as paying $2300 for a headless mac will be a super big joke as they used to have $1200 and up desktops.

now replacing it with a desktop tower stating at $500 - $600 is ok.

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
I think they should put out a Mini that runs on the Atom.

You know what? This makes sense... I mean look at that Eee box... it is only $400 here in Singapore and is small. Only thing it is missing is the DVD, so surely :apple: could use an Atom, bump up the memory and hard drive and put a DVD drive in too. Price could be kept reasonable... hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
I don't know what this means...if anything, but I continually looked for a good deal on a mac mini and have noticed for the past 3 weeks the same guy has been selling 2.0ghz 2GB memory mac mini nib on ebay. He has been selling 6 at a time...it sure seems like a lot of machines for one person to have in stock.:confused:

I don't have any inside information or anything here, but in my experience this often suggests that someone "found" a case or three of minis somewhere. From a thief's point of view, those little cases are pretty convenient ;).

Caveat emptor.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I think they should put out a Mini that runs on the Atom.

No, hope that Apple doesn't do that.

I use my Mac mini for relativelly heavy graphic work and it is great. In about 2-3 month i will upgrade the CPU with a T7400 and it will be even better.

The Atom isn't a good performer at all. I rather see in the (new) updated Mac mini the intel CPUs series T8xxx...

Maxime

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Montréal
It was my Mac Mini's first birthday on sunday.

One year of great service without a single glitch!

Go Mac Mini! :apple:

IMG_1302x-1.jpg

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
we still don't know what the brick is.

Hmmm, I was thinking about that today. All the speculation about the brick being a lump of aluminimum and yet maybe (I am getting desperate now with only a day until the spotlight is on notebooks) just maybe Steve will make mention of the brick rumor and that it is actually a brand spanking new Mac Mini!!!!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Hmmm, I was thinking about that today. All the speculation about the brick being a lump of aluminimum and yet maybe (I am getting desperate now with only a day until the spotlight is on notebooks) just maybe Steve will make mention of the brick rumor and that it is actually a brand spanking new Mac Mini!!!!

Here's an even crazier idea: the brick is the CPU+GPU+RAM slots+etc, we buy the brick we want and insert it into our chosen laptop size/desktop model. :eek:

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Here's an even crazier idea: the brick is the CPU+GPU+RAM slots+etc, we buy the brick we want and insert it into our chosen laptop size/desktop model. :eek:

That's a crazy thought. It somehow connects, in my mind, to that rumor of a device that docks into an iMac.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
(Oct. 14th 2008)

"...OH, and ONE MORE THING.

The Mini is discontinued. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT! YAY!"

How about this:

"Blah, blah, blah, we think you're really going to love our new MacBooks
and we can't wait for you to get your hands on them."

He smiles and clasps his hands together and turns to leave the stage.

"Um," he scratches the side of his head.

"Before I forget, there is one more thing."

Steve walks to the side of the stage, grabs a small, round table on wheels and pushes the table to center stage. On the table are two items, each covered by a cloth. Without saying anything, he removes the first cloth. It's a Mac Mini. He pauses for a second to let the crowd take it all in. Again, without saying anything, he removes the second cloth. It's a hand gun. Steve grabs the gun, turns off the safety, aims it at the Mini and blasts it away. He then calmly sets the gun down on the table.

"Have a good night, and we'll see you at MacWorld 2009!"

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Steve grabs the gun, turns off the safety, aims it at the Mini and blasts it away. He then calmly sets the gun down on the table.
I would much rather that be the iMac. In fact, he could just take an uzi to that AIO glossy POS. I could care less. Then replace it with a true desktop tower at Macword.

Eagle51389

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
How about this:

"Blah, blah, blah, we think you're really going to love our new MacBooks
and we can't wait for you to get your hands on them."

He smiles and clasps his hands together and turns to leave the stage.

"Um," he scratches the side of his head.

"Before I forget, there is one more thing."

"IT'S A TRAP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.