Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
Steve walks to the side of the stage, grabs a small, round table on wheels and pushes the table to center stage. On the table are two items, each covered by a cloth. Without saying anything, he removes the first cloth. It's a Mac Mini. He pauses for a second to let the crowd take it all in. Again, without saying anything, he removes the second cloth. It's a hand gun. Steve grabs the gun, turns off the safety, aims it at the Mini and blasts it away. He then calmly sets the gun down on the table.

"Have a good night, and we'll see you at MacWorld 2009!"

That's great! You really ought to be working in marketing...maybe not for Apple, though:p.

"IT'S A TRAP!"

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Who's thinking we're going to see potentially a small bump this week/in a few hours, but have to wait till MWSF for any potential overhaul of the Mac Mini?

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Who's thinking we're going to see potentially a small bump this week/in a few hours, but have to wait till MWSF for any potential overhaul of the Mac Mini?

Me , just without the small bump later today , I just think it's going to be a MWSF thing

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Not me. I went from Mini to Hackintosh because Apple didn't come out with a headless iMac. No way would I buy an iMac or Mac Pro.
I went from a Power Mac tower to a Hackintosh after waiting for an Intel tower. I will not buy an iMac or Mac Pro. Almost decided to buy a Mini, but did not like the graphics.

This thread will soon end as Apple is about to make an announcement.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I went from a Power Mac tower to a Hackintosh after waiting for an Intel tower. I will not buy an iMac or Mac Pro. Almost decided to buy a Mini, but did not like the graphics.

This thread will soon end as Apple is about to make an announcement.

Maybe or maybe not. Who knows. Anyway, i'm quite disappointed in Apple.
I do still wait and think about, whenever i should upgrade the CPU in my Mini or not.

TheDPR

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
It's crazy how long they've gone without even a refresh of the Mini. They have to do something soon. EOL, refresh, replace, overhaul. Something.

TheDPR

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
>>>>>>>>>
"Nvidia came to us many months ago and talked to us about an amazing graphics part they wanted to build, that would combine the chipset and an extremely powerful embedded graphics processor, all in one part, for a desktop computer. And we said, 'This is fantastic, but we'd like to use it in a notebook. Can we work together on this?' And we've worked with them..."
>>>>>>>>>

So they could have put this into desktops like the Mini but declined? :(

It isn't over yet. Maybe he'll throw in, "and btw, we put it into the Mini also."

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Yes!! The thread lives on!

Seriously though, poor, poor mini. We still love you, even if Steve doesn't.

How hard could it be to add the new Nvidia video card, a faster proc, bigger hd, and display port to the darn thing?

TiggsPanther

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Hampshire/Surrey, UK
OK, so the Mini has been languishing whilst the laptops got two updaters. That's bad enough...

But the laptops just got updates that a fair few people are disappointed about. And I was also underwhelmed by the new MacBooks, also.

Then factor in that last month's music event was a big disappointment for anyone who was wanting computer news. What we're left with is that the Mini has been left a lower priority than two rather underwhelming updates.

That and the MacBook is now totally off my radar. The new one is more than I can afford, the "decreased price" old one has gone up in price for those of us Brits left scuppered by the exchange rates. Oh, and it lost its Firewire. Which doesn't exactly bode well for the future of the Mini.

Maybe I should abandon a new Mac altogether, have both my future desktop[ and laptop as Linux machines, and crowbar Leopard onto my old (Panther) iBook so it can at least keep up with current software, if not hardware.

I want another Mac. But Apple has just priced and specced itself out of anything I can justify for another couple of years.

Bowboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
I want another Mac. But Apple has just priced and specced itself out of anything I can justify for another couple of years.

Second that.

For me, that was the most disappointing launch ever. Product engineering is fascinating, but is not the end in itself.
Looks like Cupertino is more than a little out of touch.

I became a Mac user not for the hardware, but the software. That was way back when the pizza box LC was new. Ever since, I've stuck with Mac because for many years, the OS itself more than justified the extra hardware costs. But now - there are several increasingly attractive OS alternatives. And just as the relative value of the Mac OS has reduced, today the hardware cost penalty has become even greater.

A sad day.

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
I say MacWorld 2009 before we see anything happen, which is too bad...

I'm little bid tired of all that waiting, actually I wait from january 2007, with one "bright moment" when I bought my Mac Mini in august 2007, I would not wait untill january 2009, just go the EFi-X way and bye bye Apple

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
So, no Mini updates today. Oh well. However, there are some interesting deductions that can be made.

1) The Mini must be selling well enough that they haven't announced its discontinuance.
2) Jobs said today about the new 'mini display port' ('mini' referencing the size not the Mini :)) "So let’s get back to this mini display port — we can drive any display we could before, but at a fraction of the size — we’re building this into everything we make. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2378
3) The LED Cinema Displays aren't available until November.

Put that all together, and you have a revamped Mini - quietly announced in November - for those people who don't want a portable and don't want an iMac. Essentially, its an iMac in two parts.

Does anyone know.... does a Display Port have any advantages for home theatre/stereo applications? Could this replace the entertainment centre specific ports on an Apple TV?

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
So, no Mini updates today. Oh well. However, there are some interesting deductions that can be made.

1) The Mini must be selling well enough that they haven't announced its discontinuance.
2) Jobs said today about the new 'mini display port' ('mini' referencing the size not the Mini :)) "So let’s get back to this mini display port — we can drive any display we could before, but at a fraction of the size — we’re building this into everything we make. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2378

Put that all together, and you have a revamped Mini - quietly announced in November - for those people who don't want a portable and don't want an iMac. Essentially, its an iMac in two parts.

Does anyone know.... does a Display Port have any advantages for home theatre/stereo applications? Could this replace the entertainment centre specific ports on an Apple TV?

Sounds good and really logical, but hey this is Apple, logic is sometimes on holidays in their selling strategy :p

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Not even a price drop on the mini...looking more and more like a dual core Intel Atom box would make sense for me. Less wattage, cheaper and (with a pci vid card), better performance overall.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
ARRRGGHHH , new Mini is nowhere to be seen ( although I wasn't expecting it today , really , although I had hoped) and with no fire wire and price increase the Macbook is out .....there is nothing I can buy from Apple that suits my needs , and I really wanted to keep using OSX , it's all I have ever used and windows seems a little daunting but what can I do ? :(

pghulme

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
macmini??

yea, i am a little stuck,i have he money now for a new mini, but dont want to splashout and be left with an out-of-date system within a month. Carrying on from where this threa started, is there any news or hint of a mini update soon, they cant wait until MW2009, that would be two years since last update, very few apple products linger this long without an update!! so any news??

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006

MINI display port in the mini will ok with they ship the system with MINI display port To display port and mini display port to dual link dvi with the system.

And the mac pro with full size video cards will need dual display port with 2 display port to dvi.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Not even a price drop on the mini...looking more and more like a dual core Intel Atom box would make sense for me. Less wattage, cheaper and (with a pci vid card), better performance overall.

The Atom is a decent performer, but it is not up to the Mini speed. The Atom 1.6GHz single core has a Geek Bench of 956, the dual core 1.6 GHz Atom has a Geek Bench of 1345, the Mac Mini Intel Core Solo 1.5 GHz Geek Bench is 1428, the Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz Geek Bench is 2592. I have seen several posters here complain that the Mini is so slow. Just what do people want, a Mac Pro? The MacBook Intel Core2Duo 2.16GHz has a Geek Bench of 2547. The Mac Mini G4 1.25GHz is slow with a Geek Bench of 565.

The Atom is sold attached to an Intel motherboard with the GMA950 graphics chip. You do not get a choice there, and there is no option of adding a separate video card. The maximum RAM is 2 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.