Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
sweeeeet. checked for this an hour ago and it wasn't up yet. nice!

tpm1999

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Compared to the old Mac mini...I would say that this is easier.

Positives:

No putty knife....the scariest first part is gone.

A lot less wires to disconnect...hard to tell but those weird spring antenna things on the old Mac were annoying.

Negatives:

Looks like a special screw bit is needed...bummer.

Oh well...my upgraded March 09 Mac mini will probably last a few years longer...but I love the new form factor.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Mac Mini Mid 2010 Teardown Photos

204941-IMG_5344_500.jpg

Macminicolo.net has posted a teardown of the new Mac Mini that was released on Tuesday.
Three notes from the tear down: 1) The screws are tiny. In other words, most people won't be able to do this with what they have in the garage. 2) The CPU was really in there tight. I tried to pry it off with no luck. 3) This Mac mini is really, really well built. It feels like less of a brick (like the last one) and more of a laptop without a screen.

205019-IMG_5352_500.jpg

Meanwhile, iFixit.com has also posted an extensive tear-down guide.

205403-ifixit.jpg

We covered the release of the new Mac mini yesterday. It carries a number of enhancements over the existing design including a unibody design, HDMI port, and easily accessible RAM.

Article Link: Mac Mini Mid 2010 Teardown Photos

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Why didnt they just release this at the keynote?

What they should have said about it?

Not related to iOS.

Still wish they kept the price down. Always like to see an industrial design refresh, but other than that, I don't see anything compelling in this new design that justifies a $100 bump.

Even tho I'm not interested in this mini, I'm a bit pissed off for the unjustified £150 extra. Is going to catch the MacBook soon.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I agree with longofest. It's not quite worth the $100 extra they're asking, but darn it if it isn't one amazing little machine.

OldMike

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
This was the news I was waiting to hear about. Thanks for posting this. I had been checking iFixIt off and on today hoping for some news.

I would consider the new Mini to have the same or less difficulty in swapping components. I was dreading the news that the hard drives were going to be impossible to get to - and I'm happy to see that is not the case.

It looks like after all of these years and different types of Macs, a Mini is finally in my future!

mKizzo

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
If anyone else is wondering "where's the hard drive?", it's in that black casing which I presume is for insulation...

Tech-Minded

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Interesting how they released this on the day that it would be obviously eclipsed by something else (iPhone). Otherwise, I really like the design; now their entire selection of products matches!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

splashnader said:
Tiny screws may be a problem for those who want to swap out or add ram.

He ram is accessible by hand. No tools required.

Arn

BayouMan

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
My issue with the new Mini is also price

Go to the Apple Store and max out the Mini.

Without keyboard, mouse, or monitor, it comes to $1,499 with just the upgraded processor and Ram.

sorry, but my iMac with a 3.06GHz processor was that price and included all three. The Mini misses the mark.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I never been a Mac guy, because I like to build my own PC and I'm a gamer. I'll can can say is the look of the new mini is making me want to buy it for my new media server.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Are they standard Torx screws? I'll be absolutely upgrading the hard drive in my 320GB 5400rpm model to something fast. Any ideas, people?

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Are they standard Torx screws? I'll be absolutely upgrading the hard drive in my 320GB 5400rpm model to something fast. Any ideas, people?

Check out the 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hard drive. It's $129 on NewEgg, but it's a Solid State - mechanical hard drive hybrid. It stores 4GB of your most accessed files on the Solid State part, so those files are accessed the fastest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.