Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
It’s a great media computer, it’s what I use it for. Mine is hooked up to our TV and it’s perfect for it.

This. Plus, for basic office use, it's plenty powerful to run Chrome and MS Office. Cheap LCD monitor + cheap (relatively but overpriced Apple product) Mac Mini is a great buy. No point in spending 2 grand on an iMac when a Mac Mini for half that will do just as well.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Apple is working on updates across its entire product line for the second half of 2018, according to a new investor's note shared this morning by reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with refreshes expected for iPhone, iPad, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Apple Watch.

appleproductlineup-800x435.jpg

Much of what Kuo has to share has been mentioned before, but he provides a nice overview of what we can expect to see this fall along with some interesting new tidbits on Apple's upcoming product lineup.

[*]iPhone - There are three iPhones in the works, two OLED models in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes and one lower-cost LED model that will be available in a 6.1-inch size. All three will feature Face ID and upgraded A12 processors. While the two OLED models will have dual-lens cameras, the lower-cost model will feature a single-lens camera.
[*]iPad Pro - Apple is working on two new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that are equipped with a full-screen design similar to the iPhone X and no Home button, with Apple to replace Touch ID with Face ID.
[*]Mac mini - Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It's not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon.
[*]MacBook Pro - Processor upgrades expected.
[*]MacBook - Processor upgrades expected.
[*]New Low-Priced Notebook - Kuo believes Apple is designing a new low-priced notebook. He originally said that this would be in the MacBook Air family, but now has changed his mind. Previous rumors have suggested this machine could be a 12-inch MacBook, so Apple may be planning to expand the MacBook lineup with an additional low-cost option to replace the MacBook Air.
[*]iMac - Kuo says to expect a significant display performance upgrade, but he does not go into detail about what this will entail and we haven't heard additional iMac rumors at this time. He says the iMac, like other Macs, will get a processor refresh.
[*]Apple Watch - Apple is working on two new Apple Watch models for 2018 that will have bigger displays and enhanced heart rate detection features. The two Apple Watch models will measure in at 1.57 inches (39.9mm) and 1.78 inches (45.2mm), compared to the current 38 and 42mm sizes. Rumors have not been clear on whether the Apple Watch itself will be larger or if the bigger display will come from a reduction in bezels.

Kuo wraps up his note with a prediction that the highly-anticipated AirPods and the AirPower will go into mass production in the third quarter of 2018, suggesting a late fall launch. Apple first announced the AirPower in the fall of 2017, but has reportedly run into some problems with production. Recent rumors have said Apple is aiming for a September launch for the AirPower.

Kuo doesn't provide details on when we might see refreshes to Apple's other product lines, but the company could be planning to launch all of the new products at its annual September event, which is typically held during the first or second week of September.

In the past, Apple has also held separate October events when there is a heavy fall product lineup to unveil, so Macs and iPads could also come in that month.

Article Link: Mac Mini Refresh, New Low-Cost Notebook, Apple Watches With Larger Displays and More Coming This Fall

Bleh, no ipad mini. Oh well, it was a pipe dream anyway.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I have a 2017 iMac with a fantastic display, what is the significant upgrade going to do? My biggest complaint at the moment is the lack of 4K codec support with YouTube. I have a 5K display with a 1080P limit on one of the most popular video sites. Sure, I can use another browser but I should not have to. Safari is fine for me otherwise why the need for a 3rd party.

I waited for a Mini before I bought my iMac. I don't need a new one now but happy to see something might happen with them. I thought mine was fantastic. It has been reduced to a family machine for occasional use but it's still running.
I wouldn't expect to see any significant iMac upgrades in 2018. The most I would expect is an update to Coffeelake Intel processors. AMD doesn't have anything to update to that wouldn't cannibalize iMac Pro sales.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Do we really need another low cost notebook? There is macbook and macbook air. They should merge those and leave it as it is. Just give more ports for crying out loud. Who wants a notebook with just one port that can't even be charged at the same time when using another peripheral :)
All we need is macbook, macbook pro line when it comes to notebook line. No need for mess

The thing is, the MB and MBA are low-end entry level devices priced as high performance machines. It's one of the ways the mac line is out of whack. A computer in the MB format with it's little table CPU and single port is great for some people, but should be at the $799 price point after a steep Apple tax and $699 would be more appropriate for what you get.

They need to either give you something for your money or slash the price. And ideally both in 2 different product lines.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
This guy... he’s no better than a coin flip. He’s not “reliable”. Chris Rawlson did an analysis on this guy’s crap and he was only 50% accurate. He wrote nothing here we didn’t already know. iPhone, duh. iPad, duh. Apple Watch, duh. AirPower.. hah same as usual.

Mac updates are all questionable. Nothing new at all. He’s just trying to justify his new job position and attract investors to hedge funds. Move along, people.

We’ll see new stuff when Apple reveals it on stage (press release for other minor accessories).

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Without having to spend more than 3000 you can use your own screens, your own keyboard and mouse and have all the features of MacOS.

Not as powerfull as a Mac Pro, but just right for you to use your own devices at an affordable cost.
Apple doesn’t like affordable. I can’t see mini much more lower than all other entry level hardware. Wouldn’t want anyone to choose mini over others.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm most excited about the new iMac and Apple Watch.

I'm wondering if this iMac display rumor is referring to a 120Hz refresh rate for the iMac, similar to the iPad Pro? I suppose that would be nice but I feel like it's nicer on the iPad due to the responsiveness needed for touch/Apple Pencil input. I'd rather see even better color reproduction, which is already quite excellent. The only other thing I can think of is if they moved to 6K displays—perhaps at a larger size. For instance, a 31.5" (32" for marketing) iMac 6K would have approximately the same PPI as a 27" 5K iMac and would make for quite a compelling upgrade. Then they could leave an 8K Cinema/Thunderbolt/whatever display for the new Mac Pro.

As for the Apple Watch, 45mm is a nice bump but I was hoping for something more in the 46-48mm range. I think they'll reduce the bezel somewhat, but doing so will require a lower corner radius on the Apple Watch display bevel. This could have the effect of making it look a little fatter—even if it's the same overall thickness—because the case itself would be a little thicker. I wonder if they will make the case size slightly bigger, and perhaps make the watch itself a little more slim. I would be fine with this, as it's already way smaller than most other smart watches in this class on the market. A bump in size will go a long way towards better usability, IMO, especially for those with bigger hands/fingers. There is a reason why Apple Watch seems to be more popular with women, so Apple may be looking to strike a better balance.

I'm also marginally excited about the new iPad and hope it doesn't have a notch. I doubt I'll upgrade this year, but it will be interesting to see what they do with an 11" display size. I hope they put the same resolution as the 12.9" model into the 11" model so we can have full sized apps side by side. I know it will make the interface smaller overall, but it should still be a little larger than the scale of the iPad Mini UI at 310ppi vs. 326ppi.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I'd rather have quad-core power, upgradable RAM, and USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports than a dongle-sized Mac mini. It's meant to be a full computer running a full desktop OS.
Then youre in luck. Aside from the core bumps, I think the native support for eGPUs is a really big deal.

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
My biggest complaint at the moment is the lack of 4K codec support with YouTube. I have a 5K display with a 1080P limit on one of the most popular video sites. Sure, I can use another browser but I should not have to. Safari is fine for me otherwise why the need for a 3rd party.
So you can watch 4k videos on Youtube... ? You literally answered your own question. Some people are so resistant to change for no reason. If you have another browser that does everything Safari does and solves your problem, why not use it?

Though to be fair I dislike Chrome. I wholeheartedly recommend Firefox though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.