Mac Mini Refresh, New Low-Cost Notebook, Apple Watches With Larger Displays and More Coming This Fall

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2018.

1. yngrshr macrumors regular

I have to admit that I am *THIS* close to jumping to a Fenix 5X Plus due to the battery life and overall form factor. I'm generally a mechanical watch guy and I ditched my Nomos and others since I wasn't using them with the Apple Watch and link bracelet. However, I just love the form factor of the new Garmin watches.

2. Zdigital2015, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018

Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

The iMac display would benefit from support for HDR10/Dolby Vision/HLG/REC2020.

Of course, if that does happen, they need to update the iMac Pro display, which would make sense if Intel does release a 22-Core W-Series Xeon as rumored, and then Apple can drop the 8-Core version, while the regular iMac gains the 8-Core i9-9900K or whatever Intel ends up calling it.

3. kylepro88 macrumors regular

kylepro88

4. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

I think there might be a confusion in this article over the Ming-Chi Kuo's note. I believe he's talking about watch screen diagonal size when referring to 39.9mm and 45.6mm. Not the watch case height (which is currently 38mm and 42mm), whereas the MacRumors article compares these sizes interchangeably, making it sound like the new watches will be significantly bigger. Current screen diagonals on AW are 33.3mm (on a 38mm watch) and 38mm (on a 42mm watch).

What I think is happening is that they are going to have a 39.9mm diagonal screen on a 38mm height watch, and 45.6mm screen on a 42mm watch. These sizes seem possible with some screen bezel reductions, and if they accomplish it, it's going to look very cool. It's going to be hard to even be mentally reminded that a screen exists, with how close to the edges it will be.

5. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

I no longer feel positive about Apple's commitment to the Mac. That can change but they have to prove it now. If the new Mac Mini looks anything like the old one it's a fail for me. Likewise the iMac is way overdue for a design update. And how hard is it to make a standalone TB3 Cinema Display?

6. The Hammer, Jul 11, 2018

The Hammer macrumors 6502

The Hammer

I also waited as long as I could and bought an iMac 21.5 in Nov 2017. I would have gotten a Mini as my introduction to the Apple world as I had PC peripherals siting around.

7. ph001bi macrumors regular

If the 12.9 inch iPad goes 4K, it will be hard to resist.

8. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Very happy the Mac Mini is getting finally updated. Also love the idea of a larger Apple Watch. Sad we will see no smaller iPhone this fall.

9. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I’m sure that your processor knowledge is better than mine, but I agree!

This doesn’t seem to make sense - unless Apple has got its hands on the next gen of the fanless Y (that’s right, isn’t it?) intel processors.

If the new 13 inch laptop isn’t going to be called a MBA, I suspect that we’ll see this as the sole MB model with the current (very expensive for what they are) MacBooks retired, for now.

Presumably the 13 inch MB is going to have enough room for the trackpad of the MB 13 too.

IMHO, this makes the MB trackpad feel previous generation, which is why I think we’ll see the 12 inch models retired for now... to come blazing back as revised ARM models in 2020.

10. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

I would buy a new Mac Mini running 5K resolution and a new -Cinema-4/5K-Display right away. Right away. 5k.jpg

11. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

Haha yeah, it's probably gonna be glued shut.

12. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

Slowly clap clap clap... well done Apple, well done. You continue to ruin your Mac lineup. You'll barely release your computers after 7-8 month later than other brands (a whole year for 13" MacBook Pro) and we'll see 9th gen cpus coming in the first half of 2019..

13. Dave245, Jul 11, 2018

Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

The iMac display sounds interesting, I wonder if the upgrade will be HDR? Maybe 120hz rate as well. It will probably look awesome with MacOS Mojave and Dark Mode.

I’m interested in:

Low cost MacBook if it has Retina display
    New iMac (I have a 2012 non retina)
    iPad Pro with Face ID
    Apple Watch Series 4

If these turn out to be true it will be an expensive last part of the year. I’m assuming these are due around September and October time. I could see Apple doing both a September and October event, especially if they have significant features (like the significant upgrade iMac screen update) to show off.

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You will want to verify what you're seeing. Safari does not have compatibility with the VP9 codec used by Google. The best you get is 1080 which is not terrible but is not 4K.

15. bjjp2 macrumors regular

Laptops--better keyboards and more ports and I'm definitely in.

16. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

‘We removed all useful ports & put in a fanless underpowered processor so we could make the Mac Mini even thinner - for no good reason at all other than Jony thinks it looks great!’

*stoney silence & then boos at the October intro event’

17. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Tim Cook at work thinking about shareholder value. I just wish he would realize how that is gonna affect the following quarters. Q2 is gonna benefit, but what about July?

18. Kabeyun, Jul 11, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Given how ticked off everyone is about Mini neglect, they’d be smart to do Macs first.

19. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Anyway, I think I might pick up an airpod for my iPhone X and Mac Mini to replace my old HP Z210.

20. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

HDR is a big shift and it should become standard. Traditionally, displays were supposed to imitate the flat look of a printed page, but everything print is moving toward digital consumption and has been for a while.

21. picaman macrumors member

picaman

I keep wondering if the mini will be a stand-alone computer that can also, in numbers, be plugged into a chassis that is the Mac Pro.

22. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

Can any other company get away with allowing a modern home electronics item languish like Apple does? 1300 days for the mini! Amazing.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This seems good news/bad news. Good news in that we are hearing positive rumors, but many of us already were expecting new Macs this fall at the latest. Bad news because its this fall and not sooner :(

24. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

I've always wondered where Ming-Chi Kuo gets his information from. Does he have someone on the inside feeding him info or is he just guessing?

There are a lot of processor upgrades. I wonder what the chances are for an ARM switch-over? Probably not. If not, why 3.5 years for simply a processor upgrade on the Mac mini? Regardless, I'm happy for any news on the mini.

I'm hoping the Apple Watch will receive a round face. The current ones look about the size of an 80s Casio calculator watch. The one apple product that is function over form, and the only product that actually needs to be thinned.

25. Xpress macrumors newbie

Xpress