Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
kasei said:
I hope so. Safari has been driving me crazy. My RSS articles stopped working about two weeks ago and there is a serious lag when pages load.

i had this problem. I found it was due to my .mac sync settings being set to automatic. If you put your settings to something other than automatic your RSS feeds should start working again.

Hope it helps.

Applespider

macrumors G4
JW Pepper said:
iPhoto is a mess, we have had several updates and yet we still cannot make sub albums/folders consequently my Album list just gets longer and more un-manageable.

Speak for yourself. I'm sitting looking at my iPhoto (6 tho I thought the functionality appeared in 5) sidebar which has several folders with various books/slideshows/folders tucked inside each one.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
alienyouth211 said:
Maybe Mail won't be ugly anymore....

Mail looks fine.
What I really would like is a vertical display system. Something that along the lines of MS Outlook where you have 3 columns and your able to view a full email on one column. All these new widescreen monitors but Mail keeps using the age old 1 column 2 row look.

That would be a much welcome revision in my book. I'd even pay for it. Which will probably happen in Leopard.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Slightly off topic but why can't they get rid of the brushed metal look in apps such as Safari, Address Book, Calender etc like they did with iTunes and the whole iLife suit of apps and replace them with Aqua. I think its way better looking

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
daneoni said:
Slightly off topic but why can't they get rid of the brushed metal look in apps such as Safari, Address Book, Calender etc like they did with iTunes and the whole iLife suit of apps and replace them with Aqua. I think its way better looking

Same reason the haven't ditched it in the finder I suppose. All new versions are taking on the new look. But lots of apps don't get updated totally until the os does or until iLife does (as you mentioned).

I've hated the brushed metal since day 1.

iKarl

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
WMV/AVI/ETC PLUGIN FOR SAFARI AND QT

I cannot emphasize that enough. Release codecs for QT to play that crap, so I don't have to open VLC or some other third party app after trying to download some video clip. Or trying to watch clips on Yahoo Movies, which doesn't detect QT on Intel Macs, or at least mine. Any wmv/avi/etc clip that is integrated into a page and not a downloadable file, you're screwed. Safaris integrated media playing functions blow hardcore. All that stuff has to run under emulation with Safari, clogging up system resources. Can't we get a native wmv/avi/etc codec for intel macs, and have it included in QT/Safari? :confused: :confused:

I like Safari as a browser, I don't want to have to use IE or Firefox. I haven't had any problems with the pages loading etc., but that's probably due to 2 gigs of ram, Intel Mini or not.

So far, to get any integrated file that's one of those files to play, you have to either boot up safari and plugins under rosetta, or boot up XP with Boot Camp. And the audio bugs in Boot Camp with headphones not cutting off speakers is quite annoying, particularly in a workplace if I want to watch CNN, etc on my break.

Gah! :mad:

/rant over

Just frustrating considering the ease of use that accompanies most things on a Mac, only to get a jumble of third party apps etc to run those files on new Macs. If I wanted a plethora of third party apps, I'd use XP all the time :rolleyes:

I know AVI isn't the best of formats because it combines the a/v into one stream etc, but there are still many of those files around. The WMV one is what i'd like more for QT. Just something straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, and not having to go third party. If new switchers buy a mac and boot up safari, only to realize half the files on news sites, yahoo, etc. can't be viewed....needless to say if I was a switcher I'd be a bit confuzzled.

And don't bother with the "well XP doesn't play AVI/Divx natively". XP is a crap OS. OSX should be above that.

firsttube

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
mtrctyjoe said:
Dear God... please FIX SAFARI. It is SLOW and does multi-media VERY POORLY.

As a switcher, I must admit I love my MAC, but the app I use the most is Safari and it does not run 1/2 as good as IE on my $299 Dell - hate to say it - but TRUE!

APPLE YOUR BROWSER IS POKEY - FIX IT!

That hasn't been my experience (with Safari), however, there are several other nice web browsers out there for mac. Firefox, Camino, Opera - I'm looking at you (among others).

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
kinless said:
No OS X series has ever ended on the same number

10.4.7?

Either stop here or press on to 10.4.10. :)

10.4.10 is silly. that's like 10.4.1 almost. it'll be 10.4.9.1 if it goes past 10.4.9

javajawa

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Versioning

sam10685 said:
10.4.10 is silly. that's like 10.4.1 almost. it'll be 10.4.9.1 if it goes past 10.4.9

I highly doubt it. "Normal" software versioning would make it 10.4.10, not 10.4.9.x. I wouldn't expect Apple to suddenly add another number onto their versioning scheme either.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Quicktime 7.1.1 is available now so 10.4.7 should follow it out VERY soon. They usually send out Quicktime first! :D

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
longofest said:
I don't want to see Apple stop until ALL buggs are quashed. So if we have to go to 10.4.15, so be it. Even if Leopard comes out and Tiger still has bugs, keep updating Tiger for pete's sake (other than just security updates). I know it doesn't normally happen, but they really should.

Tell me about it. Somehow, the NFS automounter broke in 10.4.3 and hasn't been fixed as of yet. As a result, all my users are staying at 10.3.9 or (in a few cases) 10.4.2.

I've had more issues with Tiger than any other version of OS X, except perhaps for the public beta. It's almost as if someone at Apple is intent on cramming more and more into the OS and testing it less and less.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
thogs_cave said:
Tell me about it. Somehow, the NFS automounter broke in 10.4.3 and hasn't been fixed as of yet. As a result, all my users are staying at 10.3.9 or (in a few cases) 10.4.2.

I've had more issues with Tiger than any other version of OS X, except perhaps for the public beta. It's almost as if someone at Apple is intent on cramming more and more into the OS and testing it less and less.

It wouldnt really make sense to do that because in a way they are updating it with 10.5. What would that be called? Back updating? Its a contradiction?! :D

tmornini

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Francisco
DSL Steve said:
10.4.10 = 10.5

Not true. From Wikipedia:

The most common software versioning scheme is a scheme in which different major releases of the software each receive a unique numerical identifier. This is typically expressed as three numbers, separated by periods, such as version 2.4.13. One very commonly followed structure for these numbers is:

major.minor[.revision[.build]]

To fully understand what's going on, check this out, paying particular attention to the section titled: "The Perforce Reference Life-Cycle Model". I'm not suggesting that Apple uses their product, or that their model is only, or best, model. But it does provide a clear description of what the version numbers represent.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm looking forward to the new video drivers, apparently they're a substantial improvement. Hopefully International Prefs has been fixed too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
The correct versioning would be 10.4.10 not 10.4.9.1 ...

x.9 is no the end all be all of versioning, look at World of Warcraft it's at 1.10 right now with 1.11 on the way.

There is no rule that you can only have 9 minor revisions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apple should just change 10.4.7 to 10.4.10 to end this silly debate.

They've got a long time before 10.5.x is ready, so they could be at 10.4.23 by the time they have a replacement.

I just hope that 10.4.7 cleans up and speeds up things.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
bousozoku said:
Apple should just change 10.4.7 to 10.4.10 to end this silly debate.
I agree it would be nice to not have this debate every time there is a point upgrade to Mac OS X.

So just to say this once more. The version number isn't a decimal number. Who has heard of a decimal number with two periods? Those are three integers separated by periods.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
If Apple can fix the following, I would not be offended:

1. iPhoto. Whenever I open iPhoto, everything on my PB comes to a standstill. I know it uses a lot of RAM but c'mon, does every single app thats open have to beachball for 2 min until iPhoto is done loading my measly 1,700 photos? I'm sick. Sick and tired.

2. Safari. There has been enough said about it, support for media is very poor, even with the stupid Flip4Mac plug in.

3. iTunes (4.9) intergration with address book, iPhoto, etc. Takes forever to update on iPod.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
sam10685 said:

You are interpeting the "dot" as a decimal point. It is not the case because there are TWO dots in the version number. In this case we Americans should read the dot as a if it were a comma. Those in Europe, I asume would prefer to see the "dot" as they use a comma as a decimal place. We could use dashes but then someone, I'm sure would complian that 10-4-7 is a negative number

If I were to invent a system. I'd use a combination of roman numerals, Arabic numberal, and mixed case Latin alphabitic leters and then change the system eery couple years. So we'd have

Mac OS Xiv2a
Mac OS XB3iii
Max OS XIb3
and so on. This would insure that sites like this would have importent things to talk about for years to come

For those that missed the joke. Do you remember how UNIX version were named? Not unlike the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.