Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac OS 10.5.2, Mac Pro Update At Macworld?

Death Warrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Hi there

Just as anyone else, I want to open a speculation thread.

According to Hardmac, this seems interessting and make absolutely sense:

As many of our readers requested additional information regarding the date for the launch of the future Mac Pro, we decided to ask our sources for details. Of course, we could not cross confirm all information, but we know that they should be reliable:

Unlike our expectations, one will have to wait for MWSF keynote on January 15th to have Steve jobs announcing the transition to Penryn processors, the Mac Pro being the first. reasons for this delay are numerous, but we were reporting yesterday about some of them:

- Apple is actively working on Leopard to benefit as much as possible from the recently released Intel Mac OS X compiler and libraries, including SSE4 support. Mac OS X 10.5.2 should be released for the keynote and fully takes advantages of the last Intel compiler and libraries. According to our sources, it should be the largest and most important intermediate system update ever released by Apple.
- the new Mac Pro will be immediately available after the Keynote, and the hardware specifications should be as follow:
* 8 Core Xeon Penryn for all (3.2GHz for the high-end model)
* new graphic cards should be available, among them the latest Quadro FX from NVidia
* Apple should offer Blu-ray burner as BTO

Apple should also rename DVD Studio Pro, as the January expected update should bring support for playing and burning BD media; the name could be Disk Studio Pro.

Regarding Penryn-based iMac or MacBook Pro, dates of availability remain unclear, if they are announced in January, they should not be immediately available, as the mobile Penryn CPUs should not be officially available priori January 7th.

Last but not least: the last Intel compiler bringing SSE4 support is also compatible with Itanium CPU, which are the high-end Intel server CPUs. According to our sources, Apple might be launching a series of Xserve "Ultra" powered by Itanium 2 in a near future.
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-12-05/#7523

Anyone?

chameleon

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Albany, NY
Sounds like one of the most reasonable theories we've heard so far. Nothing too outlandish, but all plausible.

8 Cores on all systems is interesting. I guess that means we won't see a "4 Core Discount Mac Pro" in the $2,000-ish price range as some had suspected.

Comment

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
It looks like Apple might want to make a big deal with the new Penryn chips that will be in all of their products next year. What bugs me is that the normal consumer does not care about "chip names." I don't understand how people have been calling MWSF a "consumer" expo when everyone that attends is in the "pro" field. Most consumers don't even know about MWSF. lol I just want Apple to be the first to release the new Penryns, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
The current 8-core option on Mac Pros is such a hefty premium, including 8 core as standard is surely going to hike the price up quite a bit?

Comment

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Any thoughts on ram prices for Peryns?

I bought mac pro ram when it was new and $$$$.

But now mac pro ram is dirt cheap.

Have you heard anything about Peryn ram prices?

thanks.

Comment

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007

thanks.

There were rumors floating around that it might require different ram for more money too. There was also another rumor that it will still take the current ram it now uses, but won't work at its fullest.

Comment

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Ram

Well it'll probably still be DDR2, so depending on the FSB speeds of the chips it'll either be all DDR2 800MHZ or the current stuff.

Not long to wait now.

Comment

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Not long to wait now.

You're still using your G4, right? I just got this message in my disk utility yesterday...

This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility.

If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with a working drive.

So tempted to just get a MacPro now. lol I wanted a reason, and that might be it.

Comment

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The current 8-core option on Mac Pros is such a hefty premium, including 8 core as standard is surely going to hike the price up quite a bit?

I don't think so. Aren't the new Penryn 8-Cores the same price as the Woodcrest 4-Cores?

Indeed, the old Dual-Core Xeons (65nm Woodcrest) and Quad-core Xeons (65nm Clowertown) are priced similar to the new Quad-Core Xeons (45nm Harpertown).

thanks.

The i5400 chipset (Seaburg) has support for both 667Mhz and 800Mhz Fully Buffered DDR2 DIMMs. The latter will give you more bandwidth

Comment

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

thanks.
800MHz FB-DIMMS will probably be around $100-$120 per GB (1 and 2 GB modules) for a while, prices will then come down some to the current 667MHz levels.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Mac OS 10.5.2, Mac Pro Update At Macworld?

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Hardmac claims that according to their sources, Mac OS 10.5.2 and new Mac Pros will be released at Macworld 2008. Among the claims:

- Apple is actively working on Leopard to benefit as much as possible from the recently released Intel Mac OS X compiler and libraries, including SSE4 support. Mac OS X 10.5.2 should be released for the keynote and fully takes advantages of the last Intel compiler and libraries. According to our sources, it should be the largest and most important intermediate system update ever released by Apple.
- the new Mac Pro will be immediately available after the Keynote, and the hardware specifications should be as follow:
* 8 Core Xeon Penryn for all (3.2GHz for the high-end model)
* new graphic cards should be available, among them the latest Quadro FX from NVidia
* Apple should offer Blu-ray burner as BTO

Mac OS X 10.5.2 may very well come, as Apple often has to update the OS to support new hardware. Even if a new Mac Pro does not arrive, other more reliable rumors have pointed to an "ultra-portable" laptop being introduced at Macworld.

However, other aspects of the story lead to some doubt. Apple has typically not used Macworld to discuss its professional workstation or server line. In addition, claims that Apple will use Itanium 2 processors for an upcoming "Xserve Ultra" appears to be farfetched and remains uncorroborated from traditionally reliable rumor sources.

Article Link

Comment

mrbc19

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Eh.. Page 2??

Wouldn't this rumor be about the most anticipated hardware update since August 2006?

But.... I am waiting for this baby!! :cool:

Comment

floam

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2006
Bull. Apple doesn't use the Intel compiler. They use GCC. They haven't stopped using GCC. They need to build PowerPC binaries too, and you can make a universal mach-o image out of a ICC-built x86_64 binary and GCC-built PPC one. No way they've stopped using XCode or change Xcode up this much post-release, either. GCC can support SSE4 just fine on its own.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Somehow it seems nobody believes that MWSF could be the stage for this *huge* update.

First Blu-Ray drives...
8 Cores over 3 GHz...
1600 MHz FSB...

Forget the "ultra thin" portable. MacBook LED updates.... yay.. :rolleyes:

Gimme this monster!!! Shake the Windows world with real life benchmark tests running Vista.

Comment

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
The G4 is still struggling along.

Darth, resist the darkside you must. Easy, is the path to the darkside. Clear your mind. Focus your mind, your path has been chosen. 8 Core knight become you will.

I updated the drive in mine last year, I now have all three bays full. 360GB, what a massive amount of storage.

1st as bootable,
2nd for storage
3rd as my own time machine. Nothing wrong with doing it manually if you ask me.

I hope the old thing lasts, i'm going to keep it as an extra form of back up.

WHO GIVES A POO ABOUT A ULTRA PORTABLE!. YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY DO ANY SERIOUS WORK ON A SCREEN THAT'S 13", SO WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT SOMETHING SMALLER. WHY IS IT TOO BIG? IS IT TOO HEAVY FOR YOU TO CARRY. WELL BE A MAN AND GROW SOME. GOD GAVE YOU MUSCLES FOR A REASON. SO GET OF YOUR LARD A$$'$ AND USE THEM.

Anger vented

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.