Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Macrumors said:
Now available via OS X Software Update:

10.3.4 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:

improved file sharing and directory services for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS), PPTP, and wireless networks
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
improved disc burning and recording functionality
iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync
additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
updated Address Book, Mail, Safari, Stickies, and QuickTime applications
improved compatibility for third party applications
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25764

I wonder if is this includes any more security updates for the safari/help vulnerability.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Safari is 1.2.2 (v125.7)

it does seem faster. OS still snappy as ever and no issues for me (Quicksilver 867Mhz)

:)

System profiler seems a lot faster, other apps seem about the same or a tad faster.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Macrumors said:
Now available via OS X Software Update:

10.3.4 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:

- improved file sharing and directory services for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS), PPTP, and wireless networks
- improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- improved disc burning and recording functionality
- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync
- additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
- updated Address Book, Mail, Safari, Stickies, and QuickTime applications
- improved compatibility for third party applications
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25764
Nice to see updated display drivers.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Is it just me or do the colours of Safari (the brushed metal) and the aqua blue colour that appears when you browse a drop down menu or something, suddenly seem different?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
NNO-Stephen said:
System profiler seems a lot faster, other apps seem about the same or a tad faster.

that's probably because of optimizations, not because of 10.3.4...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From the Knowledge Base, we see what Apple changed:

Mail and Address Book
  • Addresses a Mail issue in which a long address (URL) in a Mac OS X Panther Mail message may not open in your Web browser when you click it. Original problem: In some cases, a long URL contained in a Mail message that wraps across more than one line may not work when you click it. Your Web browser may say the page cannot be found or display a "404" alert.
  • Resolves an issue in which a third-party "Times RO" font could cause Mail, Safari, or other applications quit unexpectedly. Original problem: Mail might unexpectedly quit if Times RO fonts are installed. Some HP printer software may install this font.
  • Address Book can now import more than one email address per contact from an LDIF export file.
  • You can now send SMS messages longer than 68 characters via the Mac OS X v10.3 (Swedish) Address Book. Original problem: When you use Address Book to send an SMS via a Bluetooth mobile phone, you can type more than sixty eight characters, but once you type the sixty ninth or greater, the message's Send button is dimmed (or "grayed out").
  • A Mail message will now retain its status (read or unread, flagged or not flagged, and so forth) when you copy and paste it within Mail.
  • Attached .zip files can now be saved from Mail without automatically being decompressed.
Networking and .Mac
  • Resolves an issue in which automated (scheduled) syncing between iSync and .Mac would sometimes not work as expected.
  • Improves function when connecting to a TLS-authenticated wireless network; addresses a "error -1001" issue that could occur when more than one client certificate is stored in Keychain.
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent you from using VPN over a PPTP connection.
  • Addresses an issue in which, in some cases after a scheduled backup was missed, the .Mac Backup application opened twice.
iPod and peripheral devices
  • iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync.
  • Improves compatibility with mass storage devices, SCSI or RAID PCI cards, and USB and FireWire devices, when using Mac OS X v10.3.3. Original problem: Some third-party devices might not work: External or internal SCSI devices may not be recognized; USB or FireWire devices with file systems may not mount; If the startup volume is on a SCSI drive, the computer may stop responding ("hang") during startup.
  • Addresses a kernel panic that may occur when capturing from some Canon cameras in ESP mode.
  • Addresses a situation in which video frames may be missed when digital video is being captured from a FireWire camera connected to a PowerBook.
  • Dialog windows for incoming phone calls and SMS messages for a paired Bluetooth phone now appear in the foreground.
Finder
  • Addresses an issue in which a writable disc might not appear in the Finder after you burn it.
  • Improves reliability when selecting several files at a time in Finder at the same time Finder is previewing a movie or MP3 file.
  • You can now use more kinds of disk image volumes when the Mac OS X Panther language is set to Devanagari (Hindi, Marati, Nepali, or Sanskrit language), Gujarati, or Gurmukhi (Panjabi).
  • Addresses an issue in which some screen captures (or grabs) could unexpectedly contain a gray area.
Printing and faxing
  • With this update, you can now print shadowed text from Preview to HP DeskJet 970 or 990 printer without a black outline appearing around the text.
  • A PDF file's shadowed graphics will now print as expected with a PostScript printer.
  • Improves function when receiving a multiple-page fax.
Other
  • Includes recent Mac OS X Security Updates.
  • Improves compatibility when receiving an email with a very large PDF file attached in Microsoft Entourage.
  • Preview will no longer ask for a password when opening a PDF file that hasn't been password-protected. Original problem: Preview might ask for a password even if the document isn't password-protected. This message appears: "This PDF is password protected. Without a password, some operations with this document will be restricted. Operations allowed are listed with a check mark next to them below. {list of options} To enable more operations, enter a password."
  • Stickies no longer writes to the hard drive every five minutes, even when the computer is idle.
  • Addresses an issue in which scheduled items, such as automated backups or Software Update checks, may not work if the computer is asleep at the scheduled time. With this update, the schedule will run once the computer wakes from sleep.
  • Resolves an issue in which an eMacs' display resolution could be unexpectedly large and its geometry is off-center (only the upper left portion appears), after waking from sleep.
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent an update from installing if some .plist files (ones related to an application that would be installed) were damaged.
  • Safari will now be able to download a Hotmail email attachment. Original problem: When you try to download an attachment from Hotmail, you are asked to sign in again.
  • Addresses a DVD Player issue in which an "Operation not permitted {symbol like a 0}" alert could appear, and the player could unexpectedly quit.
  • Resolves an issue that could prevent users with network home directories from adding fonts to a Font Book collections.
  • Improves OpenGL by adding support for OpenGL Vertex Buffer and Replaceable OpenGL entry points.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Yeah I know, but the Drag'n'drop-bug is the only one that really annoys me... ;)

Optimizing 89% complete...

hey mate, I don't think this is a bug, i think its just you, I never have problems with the finder and drag and drop. You might need to fix your system.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Up and running 10.3.4 :)

Finder seems a bit snappier... :)

Safari has no (obvious) new features. They really need to add some more control in managing different kinds of plug-ins and other security settings.

Has anybody tried if Safari handles Java content better...?

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
cjc343 said:
Get an external HD with 20 more GB of space then your HD. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner or PsynchX to backup your HD.

Why does it have to have more storage at all? I've been cloning my 120GB HDs for some time now, every once in a while doing a clean wipe and clone and then switching over to the other drive (to reduce fragmentation).

I use Apple's free Disk Utility to do a clean wipe and clone, and use Deja Vu (comes free with Toast) to do scheuled synchs.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
amnesiac1984 said:
hey mate, I don't think this is a bug, i think its just you, I never have problems with the finder and drag and drop. You might need to fix your system.

I've heard others complaint about similar issues. I think it only happened when moving several (larger) files. And, as with all bugs, not every time or even under similar circumstances (that I could see, anyway)...

I tried with some files I had on my Desktop now after restarting with 10.3.4 and, as I said in a post over: Now it seems just fine... :)

Edit: Quote from Knowledge Base:
Doctor Q said:
Improves reliability when selecting several files at a time in Finder at the same time Finder is previewing a movie or MP3 file.

The "several files" is often larger QT movie files... ;)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
OS X Server Update

Server update is out, too:
- improved reliability and compatibility of NFS file services and network automounts
- enhanced Server Admin and Network Image Utility applications
- improved Open Directory scalability and replication reliability, Active Directory integration
- additional support for FireWire and USB devices
- improved compatibility for third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
well if something came to me suddenly then this did. nice to see we can't foretell everything ;) can't wait to get my hands on a faster (what?? was that possible) safari..

Eprom

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2004
:mad:

Installed 10.3.4 on my Ti Powerbook 867.
Now my fan keeps running like mad.
Restarted a few times and did permission check.

Still NO GOOD..

Going back to 10.3.3

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Well, the fans might be going mad because you just did a bunch of random writing to the hdd.

Sweet, new ATI drivers! Halo @ 120FPS here I come!
[/sarcasm]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.