Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to published reports on the internet, Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.5 Leaoprd build 9A377a to developers.

The new seed contains a long list of known issues involving Time Machine, Safari, iChat, Spotlight, Finder and more. Meanwhile, only a few changes are explicitly listed in the seeding notes.

Apple is expected to release Leopard in "Spring" 2007.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
So still nothing we can gain from this build about the 'top secret' features, right? Or is it too early to tell...

That long list still makes it sound like Leopard is a fair ways away :(.

-=|Mgkwho

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
So still nothing we can gain from this build about the 'top secret' features, right? Or is it too early to tell...

That long list still makes it sound like Leopard is a fair ways away :(.

-=|Mgkwho

Gah! I can't take this waiting game much more, just reveal the secret features already and fix all the bugs, and ship it.

I just want spaces, I'm running out of screen space. :p

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Still loads of known issues, hoping these would have been fixed.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
The new seed contains a long list of known issues involving Time Machine, Safari, iChat, Spotlight, Finder and more. Meanwhile, only a few changes are explicitly listed in the seeding notes.

Does "long list of known issues" mean that they're letting the developers know that they know that there are still issues, or are they saying "these are the issues that we knew about and we fixed"?

Oh, and Apple, three words regarding Leopard: Gimme, gimme, gimme. And as a postscript, let me add: now, please.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Does "long list of known issues" mean that they're letting the developers know that they know that there are still issues, or are they saying "these are the issues that we knew about and we fixed"?

Oh, and Apple, three words regarding Leopard: Gimme, gimme, gimme. And as a postscript, let me add: now, please.

Those "Knows Issues" are still issues, but the people at Apple know about them. Usually, the developers send bug reports to Apple when they see that there's a bug in Leopard. So the known issues are usually the ones that are fixed in the next builds.

Time Machine is an essential and important part of Leopard. If this doesn't work properly, your backups might be screwed up and consumers might get angry at Apple for that.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Those "Knows Issues" are still issues, but the people at Apple know about them.

Damn. I was desperately hoping that they were saying it fixed those issues. Still, if they are "known issues" and will be fixed in the next build, that's better than nothing, maybe, I hope.

I have a feeling I won't be able to postpone my purchase until 10.5 comes out. The guy buying my mini is getting antsy. But like they say, even if a new model comes out the day after I buy one, I'll still be getting a great machine.

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
Well, trying to be positive here, I guess the more frequent the seeds, the closer we are to release...still, 'spring' begins in 18 days, so Apple has 3.5 months to release it. With the number of known bugs and the lack of any new features, I'm afraid I'm sticking with a June release prediction. Maybe not shipping until July even. Yuck, but we can hope all this delay means a bugless and productive OS from day 1.

On a side note, I'm playing around with virtual desktop programs now to soothe my need for spaces. they work well, but they're certainly not as slick or well implemented as spaces looks to be...

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
There are apps that do that already and have been around for ages...

Yeah. VirtueDesktops, the feature complete and stable desktop manager :rolleyes:

C'mon. You and I both know that no free desktop manager application that does the same thing as Spaces.

• You can see all your desktops in one view. Can you do that with Virtue?
  • You can easily drag and drop windows from desktop to desktop. Can you do that easily in Virtue?
  • It's integrated. As in, no longer a hack. When you assign Applications to a specific desktop, they'll stay there no questions asked.

cshehadi

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
I have a feeling I won't be able to postpone my purchase until 10.5 comes out. The guy buying my mini is getting antsy.

Yeah, I got tired of waiting and just ordered an iMac. As my wife pointed out - just regaining the lost hours I spend checking macrumors every day for news on the leopard release - just that productivity increase alone, justifies buying it now, and not thinking about Leopard anymore.

of course here I am reading the macrumors forums again.... heh heh... hmm...

back to work...

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Leopard is due in "Spring", right?

Here in the UK, I think Spring is considered to be the whole months of March, April and May but I remember reading once that it's different in some countries who base their seasons on the equinox etc rather than whole calendar months. When does Spring begin for Americans?

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
No way Leopard is going to be released this month.

Don't they have to get Leopard released before they can release FCP or any big hardware announcements?

Looking at those other events on the horizon, I've developed the feeling that Leopard would appear around the end of March, seems like that would slot in well and tie in with Apple's recent habit of delivering early.

Weren't there also reports recently that work on Leopard was moving at a much faster pace than expected?

Curtis72

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007

Here in the UK, I think Spring is considered to be the whole months of March, April and May but I remember reading once that it's different in some countries who base their seasons on the equinox etc rather than whole calendar months. When does Spring begin for Americans?

In the U.S., Spring is based on the Equinox. So for 2007, Spring starts on March 20th and ends on June 20th.

marktesssing

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007

March 20th or 21st

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
You know what catches my eye? the "a" at the end of the build number, does that indicate a different version of this build exists? :confused:

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks guys.

That's a pity, I guess that means longofest is right and we almost certainly won't see it this month.

Good to hear, though, that Europe is ahead on something other than mobile phones.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I am looking forward to 10.4.9 more than 10.5.0. I want stability over features.

When 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 comes out I will get excited and buy new hardware with it or which can update to it.

I got tired of being the bleeding edge guy for my primary machines some years ago. It gets old to have unexplained problems that you can avoid by waiting a month.

When you are the guy who waits you get the added entertainment of watching other people going through "Jerry Springer" moments on their primary or only machines :)

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.