Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

desktop_gallery_stackszoom20070611_400.jpg

Appleinsider provides another look at the most recent developer's build of Leopard with a focus on the history and improvements in the Finder's Dock.
It's therefore notable that Leopard sports an entirely new Dock appearance, which now presents its icons as three dimensional objects sitting on a translucent glass shelf, rather than flat objects stuck in a translucent ribbon of icon flypaper. Dock icons now cast a reflection on the Dock (as do other windows on the screen, and even the background image), as well as casting a shadow behind them. The combination of the reflection and the shadow contribute to their dimensional appearance.

Leopard's new dock functionality is perhaps most efficiently explained in Apple's demo video (Quicktime) of the Dock and Finder. Further description and photos available at at Apple.

Mac OS X Leopard is reportedly approaching Gold Master status. According to the most recent checks, Apple had 11 high priority bugs left. Apple has previously announced that they intend to ship Leopard in October.

Article Link

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
I'm pretty excited about leopard's release. I guess everyone here is though :p

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm liking AppleInsider's style of Leopard reviews...but I wish that there was an option to use the old style dock...

Dock's application icons in prominent view in the center of the screen when using Alt+Tab to jump between applications.
CMD+Tab...we're not in Windows!

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
I do not like all these reflections in cover flow, finder, and now the dock? I hope I can turn the reflection off.

I am sure we might have that option. But I love how it looks! I have never been more excited about an operating system. I think this OS will be free of bugs when it arrives.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
11 high priority bugs left on october 10th? :-/ I'm beginning to not feel so good about an October release...

This is why I feel the typical user should wait for 10.5.1. Of course the developers will look forward to 10.5.0 as a means to see which features finally made it and which were culled at the last minute. Also their key areas will probably have either bugs or feature changes that are needed. For example Apple may have forsaked modems now, but under 9.2 you could turn one off. Under 10.4 if you manually log off a modem the OS insists on redialing and has no option not to, short of pulling the plug. A modem is still the only way to get internet in plenty of places.

So as with any major new OS update, some of the "old" features it lost in the translation need to be re-added so users who have old habits or needs can live life without downgrading to do so.

Rocketman

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
The dock looks pretty cool. I may be the minority, but I like the reflections. Apple, please just give us a release date before people start to panic.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
11 bugs?
How serious are these bugs?
Im anxious to try out Leopard when it is released, but the more I hear about each build and it's problems the more I am concerned with how stable the new OS will be. It will be useless to me if it cant run ProTools, Sibelius and Photoshop correctly to begin with. Im planning to buy a new MacBook Pro when it is released. Maybe I should hold onto my Powerbook for the transition period

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
11 high priority bugs left on october 10th? :-/ I'm beginning to not feel so good about an October release...

Could you please explain to me what a "High Priority" bug is because it's not a classification in radar.

The last seed mentioned one issue.I have some bugs reported and none have ever been classified as "High Priority" by me or Apple engineers.

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
So if it looks like they're sitting on a shelf along the bottom, what does it look like when it's on the right or left side of the screen?

boxandrew

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Oklahoma, OK
So where's the shipping announcement? If it's going to be the 26th, they are cutting it way finer than last time... I'm beginning to be converted to the 'it won't make it for October' view. :(

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I do not like all these reflections in cover flow, finder, and now the dock? I hope I can turn the reflection off.

Oh you take all the fun out of computing. If you want a boring OS stay in Tiger, if you want even more boring Windows of any version is available.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Seed notes don't list every known bug, so 11 shouldn't be seen as an increase. It's certainly a decrease in bugs since the last dev release.

My understanding is that these are 11 issues to be fixed before GM.

arn

c6viperkiller

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Seattle, WA
In Tiger, if the app was written the right way, you couldn't resize the window below the dock. Is this still present in leopard given that one of the "features" of the new dock is the reflections from windows placed behind it?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Seed notes don't list every known bug, so 11 shouldn't be seen as an increase. It's certainly a decrease in bugs since the last dev release.

My understanding is that these are 11 issues to be fixed before GM.

arn

While I agree with you on the seed note part..In all actuality there are probably more than 11 issues with Leopard.I personally know of only one or two that could be listed as "Reproducible Every Time" or "Critical" and I have a lot bugs filed with Leopard.

Eleven Critical bugs? Show me the money.

[edit]

I might add I've tested it on an iMac,a Macbook and a Mac Pro.I will admit to not using the PPC as a testbed.
[/edit]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.