Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Crimson

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2004
Hehe ...

They already did. October. It will probably be the 26th and we should know a few days before that because apple will announce their event. I think some people just want to find a reason to panic.

A devolopers life aint fun when deadline arise :p

jakesteramma

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Bugs

bugs bugs bugs :eek: unavoidable

At least they are known bugs. Wait until they have millions of people using Leopard and guess what they'll find.... more bugs. That's computers for you.

It doesn't have me worried. I'm excited to use Leopard.

I'm just wondering.... I couldn't wait to get my iMAC 24". I ordered it on October 4th. It will arrive (from China no less) on October 12th.

If Leopard releases on Oct. 26th, will I still have to buy it full price or will I get a rebate like the whole iPhone thing? I'm just curious. If I have to spend the extra bucks, I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'm so happy to be going back to MAC!!!!!!! :):):)

I hope everyone enjoys Leopard, bugs or no bugs. :D;)

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
It only takes a couple weeks to duplicate disks. And yes, they definitely can have a downloadable update the day the OS ships if they want.

What would be interesting is if :apple: has already shipped packages with two blank discs for OS 10.5 and dev tools. Then once the OS is "gold master" they post it on the :apple: intranet site for the numerous :apple: store managers to start burning OS 10.5 and dev tools to those blank discs and put it into the packaging.

Might be a little extra work for the :apple: store managers, however the consumers will be happy that the OS is released on time and in good working condition. Any thoughts.

The present way of OS distribution is dated.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Anyone else thinking that an October release is not gonna happen ????
Yes, lots of people.
But not me because (a) They already delayed it once, they won't do it again even if they have to rush it out the door a little. (b) If they were to delay it they would have said something before October. Worst case, is they start taking pre-orders before the month is up but dont actually ship until mid/late November.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Worst case, is they start taking pre-orders before the month is up but dont actually ship until mid/late November.

I somehow doubt that is a likelihood because they are seemingly near Gold Master. There is still time. Latest release might be first week in November. They've had months and months working on the versions released to the WWDC people, so it isn't like they have something that doesn't work or is very rudimentary. They have it, it's done enough for release; put it out and patch it up in time as needed.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Well as expected I don't like it. I don't like the dock anyway. Takes screen space away from me. OSX has the Dock and a whole spread along the top. Making it 3D will make OSX popular. Like the iPhone I owned for 14 days it spins, it looks cool but hell some of us here use our computers for work as well as fun. Nothing wrong with consumers having an OS for themselves but I'd pay extra to get rid of all the bells so that my expensive cpu/gpu will not be used for all this rubbish.

I always wondered why has :apple: never merged the dock/shelf to the cursor.

For instance when you hit the :)apple:/command key + press on the mouse) a dock/shelf or grid would pop over the cursor. This method would add more screen real-estate, functionality and, flexibility. At present if you have a multi-screen setup, the dock/shelf will only display on the monitor you set as the main screen.

The dock/shelf has lost its functionality for looks. Some argue if the dock/shelf was ever a wise move on :apple: part.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
All of the developer's builds have been greater than 5 GB's so far. However it is possible that the final release will be under 4.7 GB.

If my memory servers me correctly, I believe that 10.4 and 10.3 were shipped on multiple DVD's. Some of the :apple: hardware line does not read DVD±R DL so it might be a problem. :)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
bugs bugs bugs :eek: unavoidable

At least they are known bugs. Wait until they have millions of people using Leopard and guess what they'll find.... more bugs. That's computers for you.

It doesn't have me worried. I'm excited to use Leopard.

I'm just wondering.... I couldn't wait to get my iMAC 24". I ordered it on October 4th. It will arrive (from China no less) on October 12th.

If Leopard releases on Oct. 26th, will I still have to buy it full price or will I get a rebate like the whole iPhone thing? I'm just curious. If I have to spend the extra bucks, I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'm so happy to be going back to MAC!!!!!!! :):):)

I hope everyone enjoys Leopard, bugs or no bugs. :D;)

Fantastic! :D Now that you are coming back to the MAC stop spelling it "MAC". It's Mac, as in iMac, Macbook, Mac Pro. Another company owns the spelling with all caps. I'm not being picky, it makes a difference.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
If my memory servers me correctly, I believe that 10.4 and 10.3 were shipped on multiple DVD's. Some of the :apple: hardware line does not read DVD±R DL so it might be a problem. :)

All DVD drives in Macs can read dual layer discs

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
Oh, any one else remember in beta 499 or such there was an "Answering Machine" option in iChat 4.0? You could record a video away message for people. I wonder why they got rid of that. Would have been cool, especially if the iPhone had iChat (and with video conferencing), getting a video away message would have rocked. :)

Would Apple be pulling features from betas that are known to be in working order, to put back in for the final release? It would be a good way of controlling a tonne of screen shots of new features...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm going to be honest. I will buy Leopard the day it comes out. There is NO way in hell I'll install it before 10.5.1 comes out. If you can't see that leopard is being rushed you are blind. Leopard is Apple's Vista sans the 3 year delay.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
These Appleinsider articles are really good !

I can't wait to see John Siracusa's ArsTechnica review (Tiger version is here)
and to read the OS X book updated for Leopard !

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
`

This is a situation when TimeMachine would be handy. ;) :)

I am from the future, and I can confirm that Leopard was released on October 26th, and that Time Machine is working well.

(Well, actually, I can't remember too well. It might not have been the 26th, so don't go bet everything on it.)

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I'm going to be honest. I will buy Leopard the day it comes out. There is NO way in hell I'll install it before 10.5.1 comes out. If you can't see that leopard is being rushed you are blind. Leopard is Apple's Vista sans the 3 year delay.

I wouldn't compare this to Vista at all. Leopard is very, very, stable. Even though it contains new features and such, it is still more like a very mature 10.4 than a completely new OS.

Vista on the other hand was a major change for MS. Even now a year after the release, people are still demanding XP on new machines because of existing software and hardware issues. In fact, MS has extended the sale of new licenses of XP instead of pulling it off the market.

To be honest I have been hard pressed to find any show stopping issues in Leopard.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Well there 'ya go! The voice of authority has spoken. :rolleyes:

So let me understand this, you're going to "buy it the day it comes out" but there is "no way in hell you will install it before 10.5.1." Hmmm.......so which is it? :rolleyes:

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
I feel like such an idiot. I didn't realize that the dock in Leopard was 3D, until this story. I thought it was some weird oblong trapezoid shape. And I didn't like it at all. I like it a lot now. I guess I really didn't look closely at any screenshots. Or maybe the reflections etc got better? Or the 3D images of the items on the dock helped?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.