Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
For example, the little "light" under applications that are running. From the pictures they don't look like a great idea. But once you actually use the build you find you are more productive. Same thing with the transparent menubar (499 it's actually fixed to work properly) but The idea is to not have the dock & the menubar staring you in the face, and to keep you focused on your application windows.

I know you say it's more productive, but to me (and as far as I can see) a lot of other people on these forums agree that the interface is no great leap over 10.4. It's nothing much after being baited with "Top Secret Features". About 4 new things were shown. To me it looks like the people at Apple were busy on the iPhone, forgot about Leopard and then threw together a seemingly updated GUI. It doesn't seem like they had productivity in mind, just change, to fool us into thinking some development happened. In short, they didn't innovate they just changed. Bit crappy considering how long we've now had to wait for Leopard.

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I know you say it's more productive, but to me (and as far as I can see) a lot of other people on these forums agree that the interface is no great leap over 10.4. It's nothing much after being baited with "Top Secret Features". About 4 new things were shown. To me it looks like the people at Apple were busy on the iPhone, forgot about Leopard and then threw together a seemingly updated GUI. It doesn't seem like they had productivity in mind, just change, to fool us into thinking some development happened. In short, they didn't innovate they just changed. Bit crappy considering how long we've now had to wait for Leopard.

I agree that the "Top Secret" features have disappointed me (If all of them have been shown already), but with surely with any update of Mac OS X the main changes would be under the bonnet. I don't think we will see any major changes to the interface of the Mac Operating System until OS XI.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
DA dock gots a crosswalk. i bet that Apple will patent this (graphic method to separe itens in a 3d view...) and will be macrumor's front page the next week.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
look at you guys, this is the most significant update to osx yet, the core animation, the 64 bit, the new (very snappy) finder and general tidying up (plus all updates for things such as native office '07 support and hddvd / BR etc make it brilliant, these other 'secret features' and snazzy looking docks etc are on the surface, so the idiots that dont understand the 2 years of work on the underpinnings can see its an update. I am extremly happy with the enhancements so far (and we all know jobs is keeping some stuff to announce with it) if you have ever discontected a networked computer or drive without out ejecting it 1st, then you will understand how good this update is lol

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I love and used this set of folders since I discovered in combination with pathfinder and UNO gui. And for real I think it looks better than the new Leopard GUI...

folders.jpg

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Actually, in this case, I think baited is correct.

I think it's baited, but WHO THE F*** CARES?

look at you guys, this is the most significant update to osx yet, the core animation, the 64 bit, the new (very snappy) finder and general tidying up (plus all updates for things such as native office '07 support and hddvd / BR etc make it brilliant, these other 'secret features' and snazzy looking docks etc are on the surface, so the idiots that dont understand the 2 years of work on the underpinnings can see its an update. I am extremly happy with the enhancements so far (and we all know jobs is keeping some stuff to announce with it) if you have ever discontected a networked computer or drive without out ejecting it 1st, then you will understand how good this update is lol

I totally agree. So many people nowadays think that if they can't see it, it didn't happen. There are so many under the hood improvements, it'll be a whole lot better. Just wish text-to-speech was better. The voices still sound like cr**.

I love and used this set of folders since I discovered in combination with pathfinder and UNO gui. And for real I think it looks better than the new Leopard GUI...

folders.jpg

I like that too. Not really sure what all the things in the Shelf are. And I hope you can hide the info & preview parts.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC

http://albertkinng.fatcow.com/Images/folders.jpg

If by "looks better" you mean "looks like Linux" (which is the same as saying "ugly").

Seriously, there are ways to expose funtionality and information that don't involve cluttering up the screen with millions of buttons, bars, tabs, and such. That's what Apple is great at, and that is why the people at PathFinder will never work at Apple. It's also why most people will continue to ignore PathFinder.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
If by "looks better" you mean "looks like Linux" (which is the same as saying "ugly").

Seriously, there are ways to expose funtionality and information that don't involve cluttering up the screen with millions of buttons, bars, tabs, and such. That's what Apple is great at, and that is why the people at PathFinder will never work at Apple. It's also why most people will continue to ignore PathFinder.

agreed. it looks very much like the linux-esque "look, we have EVERY POSSIBLE GUI CONCEPT... IN ONE WINDOW!"

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
You don't understand how much Leopard brings to the table.

It has many many under the hood enhancements and outright new features that make Leopard likely one of the biggest enhancements to Mac OS X so far to date.

Folks need to stop looking at the skin / face of Leopard as the only judge of what Leopard is... it took this long because a lot of work was done.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA

Did OS X really need a Vista-esque leap in interface design? I don't think so. All it needed was some refinement and consistency, and that's exactly what we're getting.

Even if you don't agree, you're still discounting everything that's changing under the hood. There are some really big wins here. Improvements to Objective-C and its runtime combined with new features like Core Animation and 64-bit frameworks are the kind of things that will enable next-generation applications. And isn't that what really matters?

Furthermore, the new Finder is a vast improvement over Tiger's. Stacks and Quicklook FTW. Safari 3 flat-out rocks. Mail and Preview have been greatly enhanced. Performance is up all over the place. Time Machine really works. And we're getting UNIX certification.

In other words, Apple didn't just throw this together at the last minute. Leopard is shaping up to be the biggest upgrade to OS X yet despite the subjective concerns over its UI.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Did OS X really need a Vista-esque leap in interface design? I don't think so. All it needed was some refinement and consistency, and that's exactly what we're getting.
Additionally Apple is making available many more "modern" controls and standard images, etc. to developers. Allowing better cross application consistency and easing development work by 3rd party developers.

Also I personally believe Interface Builder v3 is going to better open the market up to community developed widgets, etc. given its enhanced support for palettes (enhancement is an understatement). To me IB v3 is likely going to be one of the greatest wins for developers doing UI application development.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
You don't understand how much Leopard brings to the table.

It has many many under the hood enhancements and outright new features that make Leopard likely one of the biggest enhancements to Mac OS X so far to date.

Folks need to stop looking at the skin / face of Leopard as the only judge of what Leopard is... it took this long because a lot of work was done.
You should read AppleMatt389's post once more. I'm sure AppleMatt389 knows that Leopard is a giant leap forward, but as AppleMatt389 wrote, in Paris Steve said they had some top secret features they could not reveal yet, because of the copycats at Microsoft. Now we know that these so called top secret features is only a stack, a new background for the dock and some other gui stuff.. Do you really find it that strange that people get disappointed?

There is no doubt Leopard is going to be great, but Steve hasn't yet delivered what he promised when it comes to the top secret features.

To me there is no doubth that the iPhone have taken up alot of resources at Apple.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
There is no doubt Leopard is going to be great, but Steve hasn't yet delivered what he promised when it comes to the top secret features.

Did Steve ever really promise "top secret features?" The only statement I remember was from the WWDC '06 keynote where he said they were keeping some things "close to the vest." Next thing I knew, the forums were overflowing with unfounded hype.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Yeah, the only people who assumed "top secret" to mean "world changing" were people on rumors sites. He didn't say that whatever he was holding back was going to change the world, he just said they weren't showing everything. WHY that was so is up for debate (personally I think it was because they didn't have everything READY to show, as Leopard's lengthened-development cycle suggests).

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah, the only people who assumed "top secret" to mean "world changing" were people on rumors sites. He didn't say that whatever he was holding back was going to change the world, he just said they weren't showing everything. WHY that was so is up for debate (personally I think it was because they didn't have everything READY to show, as Leopard's lengthened-development cycle suggests).

although im fairly content with the improvements leopard is supposed to bring ie screen sharing, recovering deleted files (if thats still in there), better parental controls, better automator, pathbar, improved sharing of folders etc. I would say that calling something "Top Secret" implies it is something pretty darn special and not just a see through menubar.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
"Top Secret Features" hype

I think looking back that Steve/Apple didn't really know what features they could cram into Leopard given the iPhone and :apple:TV launches. I think "Top Secret" was Steve's way of saying "We really have no idea what the final feature set is, but we will let you know later when we figure it out".

In saying that I think there will be lots of great new features post 10.5.0 because Apple did just the minimum feature set to call it a victory.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
although im fairly content with the improvements leopard is supposed to bring ie screen sharing, recovering deleted files (if thats still in there), better parental controls, better automator, pathbar, improved sharing of folders etc. I would say that calling something "Top Secret" implies it is something pretty darn special and not just a see through menubar.

That's just it. When did Steve actually use the term "top secret?" I honestly can't recall. He did say they were keeping some things "close to the vest" at WWDC '06, but that's not the same thing. Perhaps this whole "top secret" mantra is nothing more than forum myth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.