Mac OS X Leopard: First Impressions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arn, Oct 26, 2007.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This thread is for people to post their thoughts and first impressions on Leopard.

arn

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

iMac G5 rev A - 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM - Erase and Install

Very nice :) Spaces works well, as do stacks in the dock (and I happen to like the look of the dock, though I know a number of others don't). Adobe CS3 installed with no problems.

Biggest problem encountered so far is that the Shared thing in the left hand side of a Finder windows doesn't find any Windows shares, though a pre-release 9A559 did this with no problem. Disk images don't seem to like to eject when there are other Finder/file operations going on either.

Overall though, very nice. Made my iMac feel like new again.

3. NicP macrumors 6502

First impressions on a macbook

Everything worked reasonably smoothly doing an upgrade, once running leopard there are lots of bugs eg:

-for some reason i get Japanese itunes "top songs" in frontrow even though i am in australia and set to australian iTMS
    -iCal has crashed on me
    -spotlight appears off the screen if you are set to show desktop (F11) and click on the spotlight icon (or command-space)

There are lots of inconsistencies in the UI/Visual appearance eg:
    -when safari is not the active window i can click its buttons, but when ical is not the active window i can't click its buttons
    -Different scrollbars in different apps (but we all knew this)

I was really hoping all these inconsistencies would be polished in the final release of leopard

Besides these things the OS is really fantastic, everything seams faster (especially spotlight), nothing revolutionary but a good upgrade (assuming all the little bugs and things are sorted out)

:)

4. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

First impressions on a Mac mini (Core Solo 1.5GHz,512MB + GMA950)
    -Install took about hour and was able to restore important.
    -Mail & iTunes files imported fine.
    -The new dock very pretty-looks a stage
    -Quick Preview & Coverflow-two fabolous ways to look at your files
    -Front Row has a AppleTV style interface. Can access lists of top ten movies, TV shows,etc on iTunes
    -Time Machine: easy to setup and backup for the first time on my external hard drive.
    The Time Machine interface wasn't slow on my Mac mini (with intergrated GMA950 graphics).
    -Applications that I installed and tried:Stuffit 11,AppleWorks 6 & Finale SongWriter all run well without any problems

5. shoelessone macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro SR 2.2 w/ 2gb ram and 120gb HD

I installed Leopard on top of Tiger, against my better judgement, to see how OSX handled the "dirty upgrade".

The instilation took a while (I'm guess 1.5 hours), possibly on account of my nearly full HD and large number of applications/etc/etc.

I didn't have any system level mods installed (Uno, etc, etc).

Leopard started up as expected, everything was basically as I had left it. No problems were visible, and right away all of my shared computers (i.e. my gfs PC and my XP file server) showed up as expected, perfectly.

I'll just quickly go through some of my thoughts:
    -The front row startup animation is not nearly as impressive in my opinion, the screen just dims to black then front row is there. That said, in general the layout of front row icons is better, and I like the way front row now deals with "movies" and "tv shows".

-I was bummed to find that I had to reformat my FAT32 drive in order to use it to backup things using Time Machine. It took me like 5 hours to find a place to clear off my 500 GB drive.

-Time Machine took FOREVER to backup my drive. This isn't really a complaint as I'd expect it to take a while with all of the indexing/copying/etc.

-HUGELY ANNOYING: For some reason, copying files from my external USB HDs was giving me serious problems. Every time I tried to copy a large directory, the transfer would just stop part way through. Not just stop, but hang. If I clicked cancel, nothing happened, and the transfer continued to hang. I had to restart Finder, then half the time finder would not start back up (Error -600 finder can't startup or something of the sort). This required a reboot. I ended up having to transfer files 3-4 at a time from my external drive to my MBP HD. This is a HUGE issue in my opinion - I never had this problem with Tiger

-The fancy webcam backgrounds didn't work too well for me. They worked, but in my somewhat poorly lit room my body always had holes in it and would go invisible from time to time. I expect better lighting would help this.

-VLC no longer seems to work with my Mac Remote.

-The "stacks" are pretty fancy looking, but honestly it was somewhat annoying because a lot of my folders that I might want as "stacks" have more files than can be displayed in a stack.

-Anybody know how to have a folder NOT be a stack? Some folders I jsut want to click on and have open in Finder...

-Quick look works very well.

-Honestly, I'm starting to regret being such a "power user" and in general having lived with software/hardware for so long. I say this because it is a habit for me to ALREADY backup important information in a number of ways, any really important photos I always keep on an external HD AND my file server. Time Machine is very nice but in my opinion it's not enough of a backup for very important files, so to be honest I don't see myself really using it much. I don't remember EVER having deleted a file I really wanted. Same type of thing with quicklook... I have my stuff organized in folders, and I know which folders have which stuff, and I know which file names refer to which files, etc. Anything that I don't already know what it is won't be explained by "quick look" because chances are it's some sort of code that I'd need to read through anyway to figure out. I'm not sure if quick look has syntax highlighting, but I doubt it! Maybe I'll start deleting things all willy-nilly so time machine actually is useful for me :( - I'm actually starting to HOPE I somehow loose a bunch of things just so I can use time machine for something :(

-I don't mind the new look of the interface, and I don't find the semi transparent dock annoying. That said, I don't really notice it, nor do I really notice the new 3D dock either.

-I HATE the new notification icons on the dock. They are little blue balls (lolz) and I can't tell which applications are open, and which are not. I WANT HUGE ****ING ARROWS POINTING THAT I CAN EASILY SEE

-I guess mail is nice, but honestly as much as I wish I would, I don't see myself really using it. There isn't really any reason for me to use mail, I love the gmail.com interface for my mail, and I always have a web browser open.

-Quicksilver shows up in my dock now, which I don't like/want. Hopefully this will be fixed.

-The Safari "web clip" dashboard widget is buggy and slow as hell, and basically useless in my opinion. I suppose if you are the type of person who uses widgets a lot, maybe it'd be useful, but not for me. It takes literally 10 seconds for the dashboard widget to update itself, at least in my trials. Once they are updated they work well, but I'm not going to sit for 10 seconds for everythiing to get going, I might as well just go to the webpage I'm looking for using Safari (or more likely in my case firefox).

-I feel like I'm being overly negative - in reality, quicklook is nice, and I think that having Time Machine around will give me some peace of mind whether I use it or not.

-Negative again: Spaces are, for me, not something that I'll use. I have 2 LCDs, and in reality I don't need a 3rd and 4th, or 5th and 6th, etc. It's POSSIBLE that I'll use Spaces when doing serious web design/programming stuff, so I can have my browsers open in one space perhaps and my programming environment open in another, but other than something like that, I'll just continue to use expose a lot to find what I want.

-With two monitors, if you have a bunch of stuff open on each, expose slows down and is somewhat laggy. I was hoping somehow this would be fixed in leopard, but still no go. Expose is silky smoth on one LCD, but it's still slow on two (if you have a bunch of windows on each).

Overall, I think that (as reviewers have said), this is a nice upgrade and update, but not something that will change my world.

6. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I noticed my 300 gig external USB2 maxtor drive (formatted in fat32 so the pc can use it as well) now mounts almost instantly, rather than a 30 second wait.....

7. shoelessone macrumors 6502

This is true actually. I have noticed that my external drives MOUNT without much problem, before with Tiger sometimes things wouldn't moutn, sometimes they would.

Mounting isn't a problem anymore at least, just reading from the drive is!

8. plaine300 macrumors newbie

Install

I just wish I could get it installed. On my 3rd attempt now. Trying a different drive. Keep getting an unknown error after it verifies the DVD. Really irritating.

9. jehrler macrumors regular

Make an alias of the folder, drag the alias into the dock then delete the alias.

Unfortunately we found out in the Disappointment thread that it does NOT allow you to right click on the folder to see the hierarchy like in Tiger.

10. sepandee macrumors regular

I read somewhere that
    Agree?

11. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

Regarding the Time Machine HDD backup thingy, is it possible to format it to FAT32? Coz i would like to use it to transfer files with other PCs as well. Thanks!

12. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

How's performance with that there G5?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Peachy thanks :D

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I posted this in another thread, anyway here are some observations I've made:

I've been using Leopard since the GM was released on Usenet. I don't want to debate the legality of it, basically it came down to timing: I had three days off this week (Wednesday-Friday), I had pre-ordered Leopard from Apple but since it was scheduled to arrive on Friday, I figured my time off would be much better spent installing Leopard on Wednesday and having a few days to play around with it, rather than waiting until today. I had already purchased Leopard from Apple so I basically just got two days early. Is that ethical? Whatever - I certainly didn't lose any sleep over it. ;)

Anyway I started off by completely wiping my drive and doing a clean install. But now that I've had a few days to use Leopard, I'm sorry to say that I'm more than a little disappointed - in fact I kind of wish I could go back to Tiger.

The biggest problem I've had is not actually Apple's fault, but it's still a problem that started only after installing Leopard: Lightroom 1.2's performance in Leopard is absolutely ABYSMAL when using the "Automatically write changes to XMP" function; it worked just fine in Tiger. I had installed LR in Tiger when my iMac first arrived, and I was blown out by how fast it was - light years ahead of my old Windows rig. After installing again in Leopard and re-importing the same image library, it just crawls. iStat Nano shows it using 100% of one of my cores, even still it it unusably slow. Bringing up a folder in LR which contains 11 .PSDs, it takes about three minutes for LR to display the 11 thumbnails clearly. Three minutes!! Obviously a big problem, hopefully one that Adobe will fix soon. I don't know how they could've let this happen in the first place, it's not like they haven't had access to all of the developer builds so far, and I can't image Apple changing things so drastically in the GM version - whatever. Big disappointment.

Now on to Leopard itself. Please bear in mind that this is my first Mac, and that I only had about two weeks of experience with Tiger before installing Leopard. In those two weeks I didn't have a single problem with OSX or any of my apps, so maybe I was just lucky. Unfortunately I've had numerous app crashes in Leopard (mainly Finder) so hopefully Apple will take care of it soon.

CoverFlow/QuickView: I love these features, they're probably the two features in Leopard I was looking forward to the most. The good news is that they work really well, most of the time. Unfortunately they also hang/crash Finder quite a bit (this behavior is very easy to duplicate) and so I have to say that they have really been a let down. QuickView seems to randomly choke on PSD documents ... It appears to be random but the same files crash Finder every time. Nothing special about the files, some were made on my WindowsXP machine, others on the iMac - I always keep "Maximize Compatibility" turned on in Photoshop, so that's not it. I don't know. There is no error message of any kind, but activating QuickView on any of these documents cause Finder to crash, every time. Preview also crashes when trying to open the 'bad' documents as well, although Photoshop can open them just fine. It's very odd - I've got dozens of PSDs in a folder, half of them show thumbnail previews, the others don't, half of them can be QuickView'd and the other half can't. All of them are from the same shoot, all of them were processed at the same time and on the same computer. So, what's the problem? :mad: BTW, if anyone wants to try this out for themselves, I've uploaded one 'problem' PSD to my site, you can download it here: Finder crasher (2MB ZIP)

Stacks: I am terribly disappointed with Apple on this one; sacrificing usability for the sake of eye-candy (that doesn't even work that well!) is pretty pathetic, IMO. There are three things I absolutely hate about Stacks.

First, the Stacks icon in the dock shows not only the folder, but the first item in the folder as well. For example, if you place your Utilities folder in the dock, you'll see a blue folder icon and on top of that, the Activity Monitor icon. Well, maybe that's ok for most people, but I can't stand it!! I like to be able to customize my icons, and since the Stacks icon in the dock always shows one icon overlayed on top of another, customization is not possible. :mad:

Second: In Tiger, right-clicking a folder in the dock showed a list of the folder's contents; mousing over a subfolder automatically expanded it to the right - a proper, hierarchal view. So if you had your Applications folder in the dock (for example) you could launch any application in two clicks, even if that application was buried in a subfolder somewhere. Kind of like how Adobe insists on installing Photoshop in a folder called 'Adobe Photoshop' in the Applications folder, instead of putting Photoshop.app directly in the Applications folder with everything else.

That was Tiger, where folders in the dock were easy to navigate, the list view popping up instantly with a right-click. Now on to Leopard, where Stacks has made the same tasks a major PITA. Opening a stack in grid view is pretty smooth on my machine (the animation, I mean) but once it's open, I'm only able to see some of the items in the folder (if there are too many) and if any of the items are folders, clicking on them simply opens the folder in Finder. What's the point of that? So back to my Photoshop example: if I have my Applications folder in the dock and I want to launch Photoshop, I have to click on the stack, find the Adobe Photoshop folder and click on it, at which point the stack window closes and a new Finder window appears showing the contents of the Adobe Photoshop folder, where I can then click on Photoshop.app to launch it. Oh, and then I have to close the new Finder window. What a convoluted PITA!! In Tiger, the same process was a two-click affair - simple and quick. Now it takes twice as many clicks and a heck of a lot more time. Maybe Stacks are nice for some situations, but at least give people the option to revert to the old, efficient method of using folders in the dock.

The new menu bar: I've disabled this new "feature" by adding a window title bar strip (from a screenshot) to the top of my favorite wallpaper, because straight out-of-the-box, I found it annoying as hell. The problem isn't that it doesn't look cool when your wallpaper is visible, it's that when you open a window fullscreen, the menu bar looks terrible next to the smooth metal window title bar directly underneath it. Maybe a minor thing for most people, and it's relatively easy to fix - I just shouldn't have to fix it.

I guess that's it for my Leopard rant. I hope Apple takes care of the problem with Finder crashing with QuickView/CoverFlow because they're really useful features that I'd love to use. Has anyone else been having any Leopard problems like these ... ?

15. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Suprisingly useable on a 32" CRT widescreen TV, Mac Mini Rev. A 1.25GHz/1GiB/80GB with the DVI-Video adapter.

With Tiger, it was possible to watch movies, but to read ANY text we had to zoom in on the text to make it readable.

With Leopard, all menus and system options are fully readable, and it is even possible to surf the web. Granted, 1024x576 may not be the latest and greatest, but it is enough to browse for news and TV guides.

Didn't see that one coming really, nice. :)

Another thing I didn't expect was for Front Row to work on a Mini as old as mine (ie no remote), but it does. No need for third party applications, Leopard with Front Row added as a login item handles my current living room media needs right out of the box.

No transparent menu bar though, but I can live with that.

16. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

How well does the new 'Do what I do' automator feature work?

17. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Very positive so far

Only issues Excel crashed when I first ran it, fine second time :eek::)

XP under parallels would not connect to the net first time I ran it , again fine second time around :eek::eek: :)

Quicksilver dock icon wont hide (if thats my only problem I have little to worry about) :p

Love the RSS reader in mail might not bust a separate reader now , also coverflow and quicklook.

Seems quite zippy, no problem with CS3 or adium or Toast

Only real downer is this interface is really not as clear as I hoped any chance of a bit of colour in folder icons :(

18. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Ugh, yes those dull flat folder icons, what were they thinking ?

19. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Installed Leopard an hour ago! Total installation time was 1 hour, including DVD verification prior to installation. My first few words that came out when it restarted... It just works!

My MacBook had a hard time fitting in for the first 15 minutes -- fans at maximum and at 175F.

I found out that the desktop icons was slightly misaligned after upgrading to Leopard. Leopard is really fast. For example, when I did a test reboot, it didn't even slow the "blue progress bar" that appears when restarting. All I saw was a blue screen, then my desktop appears in an instant. Software update was fast too.

20. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

One of the things I did notice was that stacks and a dock with magnification turned on do not really mix well.

Its not much of a deal for me since I don normally have the dock in view anyway, but the magnifying dock is still one of those things that impresses windows users :rolleyes:

21. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

iMac 2.16 GHZ 2gb Ram

Leopard is running GREAT!!!! I have it running on an external USB drive so it is a little choppy, but once it goes internal I think that it will do just fine.

I work at a commercial printing company so I constantly use Quark, CS3 Suite, Preps, PitStop Pro, Microsoft Office 2004, Parallels and other assorted rip specific applications.

Smooth and stable so far.
    Quark
    Preps
    Acrobat
    Entourage (Must have reworked some Rosetta)

The rest I haven't tested yet but I am working toward it.

Christopher

22. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

Is .mac re-syncing of bookmarks, contacts, and calendars working for anyone who did a clean install?

23. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

has anyone tried installing on a mac hovering on the low end of the system requirements? i'm debating whether i should try installing it on my girlfriend's 1Ghz g4 eMac with 512k of ram.

24. sepandee macrumors regular

K since my post is sinking to the depths of oblivion, i'll re-post it:

I read somewhere that
    Agree?

25. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

512k of RAM? Yikes! :eek: