Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sithboi

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Hoylake, Wirral, UK
it doesnt seem to work for me. i have tried the plist deletion but it didnt work. i also tried adding eht board id to the plist but that didnt work either. i have however, updated my macbook to 10.6.7 just today. im going to rollback tonight and try before that update. i have a black macbook, 2006 core duo.

pitbull010

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
I don't know why but whenever I try to delete SupportPlatforms.plist it says read only and my permissions won't edit. What am I doing wrong?:apple:

I mean edit not delete

Last edited:

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
If you can't even get rid of the plist to make your new installer, I can't believe you're actually a developer in the first place.

pitbull010

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
If you can't even get rid of the plist to make your new installer, I can't believe you're actually a developer in the first place.

I am a developer I usually stick with my iOS and android. I know how to edit the plist I can get it to. It is in read only mode and I changed all of my permissions and it still won't work. Don't believe me go to http://www.modmyi.com and look for me STRAYunINFIDEL

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Just in case anyone was wondering - DP2 does not boot on a 32bit only machine. The 'block' appears to be in boot.efi....

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
it will be fine - the kernel is still a universal 32/64bit binary. The Hackintosh crowd will soon have a kernel with restrictions removed but otherwise vanilla.

Lets all be optimistic here!

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
I changed OSXInstall.mpkg so I could install Lion DP2 directly on a Core Duo, then I changed boot.efi with the 11a390 one but I can only get into single user mode. If Hackintosh is possible, lion (as it's still a 32 bit system) has to run on core duo machines.

By the way, 11a390 works well (no hangs or crashes).

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wait wait, does this mean Lion needs to be hacked to run on Core2Duo computers?! That can't be right because it means a 2 year old MBP with Core2Duo couldn't run it...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Wait wait, does this mean Lion needs to be hacked to run on Core2Duo computers?! That can't be right because it means a 2 year old MBP with Core2Duo couldn't run it...

No. This is referring to the original Core (not 2) Duo and Solo that were in the very first generation of MBs, MBPs, iMacs, and Minis.

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Wow so they've finally ditched support for those first intel Macs...

What do you mean 'finally'? My macbook CD is as fast as the c2d that immediatelly replaced it.... faster with the SSD :p

DP1 ran great - with a 10 day uptime! there is no technical reason to drop 32bit only machines.

Erikthefinn

macrumors newbie
it worked for me with Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Build-11A390

I had a friend install it for me from a Core 2 Duo Mac onto an external USB HDD. I then edited the PlatformSupport.plist file by adding my Core Duo Macs Board ID and it boots fine. The only App that didn't work was iTunes so I simply deleted all parts of it & installed another version.

What I require is the 'Full' (Server portion as well) download of Mac OS X Lion 10.7 Build-11A390

I would dearly love to locate an image of the 11A390 with the Server download already installed somehow. As being limited to a Core Duo Mac I'm unable to run the installer. The Server portion of Build 1A390 is no longer available via Apple period!

To me having the full thing would be like digital gold. Anywhere anyone could point me would be helpful!!!

Build-11A419l is another matter. if someone running a Core 2 Duo Mac could try: lipo -info /mach_kernel in terminal while booted into it, it would be very interesting to know if it comes back with "i386" if so then there is hope for Core Duo Macs with it.

elnegas posted that by switching the boot.ei from 11A390 that he got into Single User Mode I'd love more details on this. I tried this too but could not get past the Apple Boot Logo with that 2nd Build.

I hope this thread stays open as I am hoping the Hackintosh Devs will come up with a Kernel or another workaround could be done.

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
elnegas posted that by switching the boot.ei from 11A390 that he got into Single User Mode I'd love more details on this. I tried this too but could not get past the Apple Boot Logo with that 2nd Build.

I think I put 11a390 extensions too. I'm not sure because I tried lot of things. I don't know which extension makes it hang and now I can't spend my time on it but it could be a way to make it work.

rivermandan

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
well, 5 years of lurking and I finally had to register.

trying to load DP2 on my girl's core duo MBP, not having any luck. threw her MBP in target disk mode, and ran the installer off my 13" MBP via firewire. booted in, deleted platformsupport.plist, no go. boots to a white screen with the circle/dash symbol, no luck with singleuser or safemode switch.

it is a 15" core duo with an ati x1600, any ideas guys?

EDIT - tried using the DP1 kexts, no go.
EDIT2 - tried DP1 as well, no go. she's back to 10.6.7 for now

Last edited:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Hmm, well I could pop a C2D in my CD Mac Mini, but this seem like a good as time as any to grab a new Mac mini when they are released. And I can make this old Core Duo machine a Windows or Linux box.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I'm also not sure, that Rosetta will be disabled forever in Lion. I think Apple disabled it in the Lion DP, because they need to port it to 64-Bit Intel x86_64 instructions.

But Lion DP is running on 32-bit machines so it can't be using x86_64 instructions exclusively. There simply must be 32-bit alternatives in the OS. Maybe those will be removed before Lion ships to the public.

Rosetta in Lion - I buy a new iMac this year
No Rosetta in Lion - I keep using Snow Leopard on my old Mac for at least one more year

miscend

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Please help -- Rosetta functionality is a must. Around here, we rely on AppleWorks for 95% of our stuff, most of our legal documents and client files are in AppleWorks, if we upgrade to Lion, AppleWorks will not even RUN!!! Hello, Apple?!?!?

Why don't you upgrade to iWork or Office 2010?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Please help -- Rosetta functionality is a must. Around here, we rely on AppleWorks for 95% of our stuff, most of our legal documents and client files are in AppleWorks, if we upgrade to Lion, AppleWorks will not even RUN!!! Hello, Apple?!?!?

What you could do in your case is to install Apple Works for Windows on Parallels and work from there. :)

tsmith

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
So now that the Lion DP2 update 2 (11A444d i believe) has been released, has anyone else not been able to boot up from a core duo x86? I did remove the platformsupport.plist, but it now doesn't boot up just the "no smoking sign".

Lion booted up fine for me all the way up until this update.

Anyone know a fix for this or if I am missing something?

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
No doubt they will fully remove the ability to boot with a CD/CS by the end of release. It was the same situation with G3s and Leopard, initial versions were working fine and then later versions axed it completely.

Obviously a pretty petty move by Apple to try to get users to upgrade. The computers may be 3-4+ years old but they are still good computers. I wonder how many people who lined up to spend $2500 on a new Macbook Pro just 4 years ago thought the thing wouldn't be able to upgrade 2 OSes later. Hell if you bought a certified refurbished machine and Apple Care you could still be under warranty.

While they can all run SL just fine, Apple has a way of doing other busche league maneuvers to screw over people on older OSes. They limit future apps to the OS, new hardware tends to be limited (iPhone 5 or 6 anyone?).

Also, gotta love the hilarity of half the thread people going "WAIT CORE 2 DUO AINT GUNNA WORK!!", it's got the three-gees anyone?

dbalone

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
(]Obviously a pretty petty move by Apple to try to get users to upgrade. The computers may be 3-4+ years old but they are still good computers. I wonder how many people who lined up to spend $2500 on a new Macbook Pro just 4 years ago thought the thing wouldn't be able to upgrade 2 OSes later. Hell if you bought a certified refurbished machine and Apple Care you could still be under warranty.

While they can all run SL just fine, Apple has a way of doing other busche league maneuvers to screw over people on older OSes. They limit future apps to the OS, new hardware tends to be limited (iPhone 5 or 6 anyone?).

Also, gotta love the hilarity of half the thread people going "WAIT CORE 2 DUO AINT GUNNA WORK!!", it's got the three-gees anyone?)

If we all took this route we would all still be using Windows machines with XP installed. That is where I like Apple. Keep technology moving and improving. We all know technology is constantly changing. No one forces anyone to upgrade. I guess we could all just have stuck with "Panther" many years ago and be just like all those still out there using XP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.