Mac OS X Lion *does* run on Core Duos/Core Solos.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iMacC2D, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Embio macrumors member

that is strange - I tried the Firewire kexts... I'll give it another go :D

As for Finder - perhaps we should just focus on finding an alternative?

2. Core5i macrumors newbie

3. elnegas macrumors newbie

Next week I'll do a clean install to see if I forgot another step. I'm very busy this week so I can't try anything. If you succeed, please tell us :)

4. Embio macrumors member

ok so I got it booting - slowly working my way through frameworks to get DP1 Finder to run - painstaking! I thought maybe the DP2/DP3 Finders had 32bit code... Will try this tomorrow. I suspect the SysLogd problem may be our biggest hinderance mind.

Ultimately if the retail version is 64bit beyond the kernel this work may be moot - but I'd still like the options of a Snow Leopard/Lion DPx/Ubuntu Macbook :)

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

OK, so it looks like Apple have disallowed Core Duos because of a technical reason, and not just to force people to upgrade. Good.

6. elnegas macrumors newbie

Hi,

There are not significant performance differences between core duo and first core 2 duo macbooks. In fact they share the same chipset. I think it's a decision of apple to force developers to make x64 only apps.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Soon after I posted that I actually read something saying that the Finder is now 64-bit only, so that could be it.

8. Exponent macrumors regular

Any summary for upgrade-to-core2duo users?

So if the Finder is indeed 64-bit only, I imagine that's not good for coreduo users.

However, what does this mean for those of us who upgraded the CPU on the motherboard from a CoreDuo to a Core2Duo? We now have a 64-bit capable machine, from the CPU standpoint - does it matter what's in the ROMs?

9. stroked Suspended

stroked

No you still have a 32 bit EFI

10. slb macrumors 6502

64-bit also brings with it the modern Objective-C runtime.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll still be limited by the logicboard's model ID not appearing in the list(s) of supported boards.

The 32-bit EFI is not an issue. The first Mac Pro has a 32-bit EFI and 64-bit Xeon CPUs that can run Lion without problems.

12. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

For the record, my Core 2 Duo updated Core Solo mini is still running the latest dev preview with nothing more than the PlatformSupport.plist modification.

13. dchao macrumors 6502a

32-bit EFI is not a problem. So far (in DP4) 32-bit kernel is still there.

32-bit kernel will have to stay, since Apple have already announced the minimum requirements to run Lion. And there are some Mac's have made to the list with EFI-32 only, example is early 2007 Mac Pro with Xeon processor (64-bit) and EFI-32.

EDIT: Sorry I did not see Intell's reply above.

14. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Who in their sane mind would still be developing *32*bit apps? It's not 1998 any more.

15. stroked Suspended

stroked

That's good. I must be behind on my reading. I read somewhere on this forum, that my first generation imac cor 2 duo couldn't run Lion, because of the 32 bit EFI.

16. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Thats promising...

17. gvollant macrumors newbie

I've also a MacMini1,1. I had removed the Core Duo and replaced by Core 2 Duo (and snow leopard run well 64 bits apps)

I'm surprised by your message.
    I transfered DP4 dmg to an USB hard disk, I tried both modify or remove /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist without success : after boot on the disk, installer say computer is not compatible

18. juuuice macrumors newbie

Has anyone verified in the new GM build is indeed blocked for upgraded minis from coreduo to core2duo?

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Ever since DP2 it was not possible to get Lion working on CD Minis with only the PlatformSupport.plist modification. It'll require something more along the lines of a modified boot.efi file to get it to work.

20. chrfr macrumors 603

...and you'll need a replacement for the Finder which is a purely 64-bit app now. (and was before.)

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not unless the CD Mini has a C2D CPU upgrade.

22. skier777 macrumors 6502

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, it only worked on DP1.

24. roobarb! macrumors member

So if you had, for example, a Core 2 Duo upgraded MacMini1,1 (which originally shipped with a Core Duo), what's the procedure for getting Lion running? Does the installation need to be done on a genuine Core 2 Duo machine and then moved, or can it be done in another way?

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Currently, Lion will not boot on a MacMini1,1. Even with a C2D upgrade. It has to do with the Mini's logicboard ID not being in the list of supported boards. There are a few places this list exists. The harder/hardest of the places is currently the boot.eif file.