Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
that is strange - I tried the Firewire kexts... I'll give it another go :D

As for Finder - perhaps we should just focus on finding an alternative?

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
that is strange - I tried the Firewire kexts... I'll give it another go :D

As for Finder - perhaps we should just focus on finding an alternative?

Next week I'll do a clean install to see if I forgot another step. I'm very busy this week so I can't try anything. If you succeed, please tell us :)

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Next week I'll do a clean install to see if I forgot another step. I'm very busy this week so I can't try anything. If you succeed, please tell us :)

ok so I got it booting - slowly working my way through frameworks to get DP1 Finder to run - painstaking! I thought maybe the DP2/DP3 Finders had 32bit code... Will try this tomorrow. I suspect the SysLogd problem may be our biggest hinderance mind.

Ultimately if the retail version is 64bit beyond the kernel this work may be moot - but I'd still like the options of a Snow Leopard/Lion DPx/Ubuntu Macbook :)

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
OK, so it looks like Apple have disallowed Core Duos because of a technical reason, and not just to force people to upgrade. Good.

Hi,

There are not significant performance differences between core duo and first core 2 duo macbooks. In fact they share the same chipset. I think it's a decision of apple to force developers to make x64 only apps.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Hi,

There are not significant performance differences between core duo and first core 2 duo macbooks. In fact they share the same chipset. I think it's a decision of apple to force developers to make x64 only apps.
Soon after I posted that I actually read something saying that the Finder is now 64-bit only, so that could be it.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Any summary for upgrade-to-core2duo users?

So if the Finder is indeed 64-bit only, I imagine that's not good for coreduo users.

However, what does this mean for those of us who upgraded the CPU on the motherboard from a CoreDuo to a Core2Duo? We now have a 64-bit capable machine, from the CPU standpoint - does it matter what's in the ROMs?

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
So if the Finder is indeed 64-bit only, I imagine that's not good for coreduo users.

However, what does this mean for those of us who upgraded the CPU on the motherboard from a CoreDuo to a Core2Duo? We now have a 64-bit capable machine, from the CPU standpoint - does it matter what's in the ROMs?

No you still have a 32 bit EFI

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
Hi,

64-bit also brings with it the modern Objective-C runtime.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

You'll still be limited by the logicboard's model ID not appearing in the list(s) of supported boards.

The 32-bit EFI is not an issue. The first Mac Pro has a 32-bit EFI and 64-bit Xeon CPUs that can run Lion without problems.

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
For the record, my Core 2 Duo updated Core Solo mini is still running the latest dev preview with nothing more than the PlatformSupport.plist modification.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008

32-bit EFI is not a problem. So far (in DP4) 32-bit kernel is still there.

32-bit kernel will have to stay, since Apple have already announced the minimum requirements to run Lion. And there are some Mac's have made to the list with EFI-32 only, example is early 2007 Mac Pro with Xeon processor (64-bit) and EFI-32.

EDIT: Sorry I did not see Intell's reply above.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
You'll still be limited by the logicboard's model ID not appearing in the list(s) of supported boards.

The 32-bit EFI is not an issue. The first Mac Pro has a 32-bit EFI and 64-bit Xeon CPUs that can run Lion without problems.

That's good. I must be behind on my reading. I read somewhere on this forum, that my first generation imac cor 2 duo couldn't run Lion, because of the 32 bit EFI.

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
For the record, my Core 2 Duo updated Core Solo mini is still running the latest dev preview with nothing more than the PlatformSupport.plist modification.

I've also a MacMini1,1. I had removed the Core Duo and replaced by Core 2 Duo (and snow leopard run well 64 bits apps)

I'm surprised by your message.
I transfered DP4 dmg to an USB hard disk, I tried both modify or remove /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist without success : after boot on the disk, installer say computer is not compatible

juuuice

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Has anyone verified in the new GM build is indeed blocked for upgraded minis from coreduo to core2duo?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Has anyone verified in the new GM build is indeed blocked for upgraded minis from coreduo to core2duo?

Ever since DP2 it was not possible to get Lion working on CD Minis with only the PlatformSupport.plist modification. It'll require something more along the lines of a modified boot.efi file to get it to work.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It'll require something more along the lines of a modified boot.efi file to get it to work.

...and you'll need a replacement for the Finder which is a purely 64-bit app now. (and was before.)

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
No, it only worked on DP1.

So if you had, for example, a Core 2 Duo upgraded MacMini1,1 (which originally shipped with a Core Duo), what's the procedure for getting Lion running? Does the installation need to be done on a genuine Core 2 Duo machine and then moved, or can it be done in another way?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So if you had, for example, a Core 2 Duo upgraded MacMini1,1 (which originally shipped with a Core Duo), what's the procedure for getting Lion running? Does the installation need to be done on a genuine Core 2 Duo machine and then moved, or can it be done in another way?

Currently, Lion will not boot on a MacMini1,1. Even with a C2D upgrade. It has to do with the Mini's logicboard ID not being in the list of supported boards. There are a few places this list exists. The harder/hardest of the places is currently the boot.eif file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.