Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Good. I'm glad to see that Apple is waiting for a few seeds to include PPC support. That way they can focus on Intel for anti-PPC whiners and then fix it for the rest of us.

phillystax

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It really is for the good of the many

As someone who purchased a Powerbook right before the Intel switch, I understand that this had to be done. As Apple continues to forge new paths with the iPhone/Touch OS and continuing to better speed up and slim down the current OS, this kind of thing was inevitable.

But like many have said, Snow Leopard isn't going to have many "new" features but just make improvements on speed and security. I'm guessing many of the speed updates will maximize the use of the current and future Intel chips. Not the PPC chips.

Luckily I just bought a new iMac and Macbook so.....

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
I'm as ready to dump PPC support as the next guy, but seriously. Don't you think it would have been announced if Apple were officially dropping PPC support? Jesus Christ, why is this even a question?

Do you really think Apple would just walk into a PR nightmare like that, having people buy it on store shelves thinking it has PPC support 'cause no one told them otherwise?

So the PPC support is obviously either A) planned to be merged later on or B) up in the air at the moment.

I think we can all agree that Apple is definitely not ruling out PPC support; even if it makes sense to you, me, or anyone else. Please think a little people.

I think this is a fair assessment. We don't know for sure! It was a Developers conference. You'd think they would announce that if the OS will have new features to make applications run faster/smoother it might have been mentioned that these features would not be available on PPC machines. It would only make sense. If I were a developer and wanted to optimize an application to utilize new features in a new OS, without adding new features to the software, I wouldn't want to spend time making sure that this newer version of software compiles as a universal binary if I knew that the features wouldn't be available on PPC.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Great news – this is the Leopard we should have gotten all along :D

and for people bitchin' about lack of support for PPC, I hear you, but it's not the end of the world. I have an iMac running OS9 for web surfing it's not great, but it hasn't melted the time-space continuum for running an older OS.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I wonder if it's your intention to talk people out of buying macs?
Absolutely not, I'm just saying there's no reason to complain. Most people replace their computers at <36 month intervals anyway, but those who expected to be able to milk their machines for more than 3 years chose the wrong platform.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Just because the OS is Intel-only, that doesn't mean it won't work with PPC-compiled apps, does it? I mean, I'm assuming that Rosetta will still be part of the system.

Nice thought, but try running an OS9 application on an Intel machine running the oldest system that supported Intel (methinks Tiger 10.4). They dumped a lot of legacy folks on that decision.

I'm pretty peeved that Leopard/Rosetta don't have 68040 emulation as that should be pretty straight forward. I wouldn't ask for 6502 or whatever was in the GS as an emulator is better suited for those computers/OSes. But don't be surprised if applications built for iPhone/iPodTouch are not able to run directly on the Mac version of the OS via Rosetta.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
You're damn right it has. I have the last rev dual core G5 that's a little over two years old. Support should NOT be dropped on a machine that young.
Sure, but can you quit yer bitching until after Apple actually announces that its dropping PPC support? The fact that the Developers Preview doesn't support PPC doesn't mean the final product won't.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
The dead giveaway for me was how you would have more disk storage for photos and music. This will be an emotional issue for some. Leopard PPC should be good enough for a few years for those folks with G5's anyways. This should help with the Q/A department with testing this and future OS upgrades and more rapid updates.

Will it only support Cocoa apps? That is the next phase to cutting out the fat.

They could also do something like trimmit on install, essentially only installing PPC or Intel binaries depending on the host. Just because they use less space doesn't absolutely mean they are supporting only one platform.

I'm all Intel, but I can understand the feelings of PPC owners.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
A little earlier than I expected, but bound to happen eventually. I guess they are gonna use Snow Leopard as their foundation for the future, and because of that, they decided the PPC machines couldnt keep up. I'm sorry if you have a PPC Mac, but this had to happen at some point.

The Quad G5 and Dual 2.5, 2.7 can MORE than keep up. These are very fast system and should have been supported in this go.

bmk

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Paris
Where can we get a legit copy of this?

Don't like to be hard on newbies - we've all got to learn somehow. But unless you are being incredibly arch or ironic, I think your comment betrays a staggering lack of understanding about Macs, Apple, the way things work in general about developer releases etc - not to mention the fact that you clearly haven't even read the prior posts about Snow Leopard otherwise you'd know already that it is only a developer release and that therefore no ordinary mortal can get their hands on it legitimately and anyone who posts it, says anything about it, etc etc will have all their privileges revoked.

If you are joking, forgive me, I'm clearly getting too jaded. so try and make your jokes a bit more obvious next time.

MHerstand

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
If your customer base averages a 4-year computer buying cycle (which is fairly high-rate from home buyer numbers), then a 3-year obsolescence affects 25% of them. But, that's not the killer. The killer is that a small portion of those are multiple-computer households, who are buying a new machine every 1-2 years. You piss off 100% of your multiple-purchase households.

That's the killer: this short of a lifetime would breed discontent in a healthy portion of your casual buyers, but absolute animosity in every single one of your most loyal and consistent buyers.

It's a bad move. I hope Apple doesn't make it, for both selfish and non-selfish reasons.

Nice math. You're forgetting something though. Leopard will be supported for the one year it takes for the non-intel machines to die out (between next summer and the summer after that - the 4 year mark). In fact, it will probably be supported for a little longer than that since so many people won't switch over even who have Intel Macs. Therefore, Apple will be pissing off no one. No one who has a three year old computer should complain that the computer company isn't letting them be "cutting edge." Any Mac user knows they are already running a cutting edge operating system, and 10.5.4/10.5.5/10.5.6... will be perfectly fine in two years.

Stop complaining.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Absolutely not, I'm just saying there's no reason to complain. Most people replace their computers at <36 month intervals anyway, but those who expected to be able to milk their machines for more than 3 years chose the wrong platform.

That's funny, there IS reason to complain.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that "most" people upgrade every three years, nobody I know does. Got a stat on that?

And telling people they "chose the wrong platform" sure does sound like talking people out of buying Mac. Maybe that's your intention, but that's the result.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I keep up with MR daily, and I generally enjoy the "rumors" posted here, but this headline is pure shock value. [/I]

Not sure if I agree it's a "shock" headline, but I did add a question mark for your benefit, as it hasn't been officially confirmed.

That being said, given what we know about Snow Leopard, that it's going to be multli-core optimizezd, I don't think Apple's going to waste resources devoting time to get that working right on PowerPC since it's a discontinued platform.

arn

Mac Player

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2006
If apple can afford to dump the PPC users it can afford to dump the 32 bit Intel users (which are far less).

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
i'm looking to use 10.6 Mail/iCal as our Exchange clients instead of crappy Entourage. Of our 400 Macs we have a 70% PPC/ 30% Intel split. I kinda hope they at least include G5 support eventually, then we'd have a 52/48 split.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Sure, but can you quit yer bitching until after Apple actually announces that its dropping PPC support?

Nope. That might not happen for months or a year. If apple IS planning on continuing PPC support, they can announce that now and silence the bitching.

But they won't.

bosskxx1

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2001
This should come as no surprise to anyone. Apple has always stated that a typical Macs life span is approximately 3 years. Since the last PPC computers were last sold in August of 06 (the quad g5's), that means that they would be approximately 3 years old, this time next year (assuming they haven't leaked yet).

*Right now over half of the mac computers out there are intel based. Come time next year that numbers will probably be less than 20%

*Supporting multiple CPU architectures is very costly in both designing and testing. This also applies to 3rd party developers. For some apps its not that much work, but for others it involves keeping two separate code bases.

*The biggest advantage of snow leopard is its ability to work with multiple CPU cores. Most G5s only have 1 or 2 CPUs, which would probably see only minimal gains.

*As far as I know, there are no new APIs or Core Services that are being added to snow leopard. This should help in assuring that most applications are compatible with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
All this currently means is that the current build of the developer preview is intel only. but it may mean that PPC has been ditched and will require to stay on normal Leopard only.

Exactly, I think they may do this, but Gizmodo think PPC is staying.

I'm in two minds on it, firstly the iPhone SDK is Intel-only and the Snow Leopard site says the next version will use less hard drive space (so making it Intel only would easily achieve that). But on the other hand Steve made no mention of dropping PPC at the keynote, and it'd been worthy of it and the Safari 4 beta does run on PPC machines...

Since Snow Leopard is the foundation for future OSX builds it makes seance not to have PPC support as these systems will not be supported in future versions of OSX anyway which Snow Leopard is being built as the foundations of.

You could make the same comment about 10.0 though ;).

Will it only support Cocoa apps? That is the next phase to cutting out the fat.

If you don't want to run Microsoft Office and Adobe CS3/4 on your Mac, they can go right ahead there.

If Windows XP can run on computers with a 233MHz processor (which is what I had until last year), then Apple can run Snow Leopard on 2 year old computers.

a) XP doesn't exactly perform well on its minimum hardware specs, and I've seen machines run on it in South East Asia.

b) XP came out in 2001.

But if this is a copy for developers, why would they want PPC code? Surely any new programs will be intel only.

New programs should be Universal.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
You're damn right it has. I have the last rev dual core G5 that's a little over two years old. Support should NOT be dropped on a machine that young.

Yeah, because your G5 is going to just completely stop working and never turn on again as soon as Snow Leopard DVDs are on the shelf of the Apple Store. :rolleyes:

Apple's not "dropping support" on PPC. Leopard and Tiger will still be able to run on them, and they'll keep getting updates. Hell, QuickTime 7.5 that came out the other day was still an update for PANTHER.

coolbits

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
So what PPC will run Leopard, Intel will run Snow Leopard... same features just intel will be a bit more optimized as it is now... nothing more...
Same apps, same everything else.

neondiet

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
I'm still not convinced. The Snow Leopard screen shots published a few days ago showcasing the improved file sizes also showed the Application file types as "Universal": which by definition includes PPC.

Having said that it might not matter so much; as Leopard's feature set probably isn't going to change significantly now for about 18 months until 10.7 comes out. Most of today's PPC crowd will have updated by then as the increasing power of the Intel platform make it an even more irresistible upgrade target.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.