Mac OS X Tiger Notes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
7,465
8,522


As previously reported Mac OS X Tiger has started shipping and the first users are posting their screenshots and experiences with the new version of Mac OS X.

The final build is confirmed to be 8A428, the same as that being distributed illegally in P2P circles. Of note, Apple's legal representation has sent cease and desist letters to at least one of the offending Bittorrent distribution sites.

"Apple also demands all information related to the identity of the persons who created such torrent files and/or who uploaded the software referenced by those torrent files, as well as the identities of all individuals who participated in the uploading and downloading of Apple's software."
The site in question, however, does not appear to be taking the threat seriously.

Regardless, legitimate copies of Mac OS X have been distributed to end users at this time. MacRumors' forums have undergone a reorganization and all Tiger discussion can take place in the consolidated Mac OS X Forum. Please post your questions and experiences there. As always, please do not post any information on illegal distribution of copyrighted software.
 

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
540
0
Macrumors said:


As previously reported Mac OS X Tiger has started shipping and the first users are posting their screenshots and experiences with the new version of Mac OS X.

The final build is confirmed to be 8A428, the same as that being distributed illegally in P2P circles. Of note, Apple's legal representation has sent cease and desist letters to at least one of the offending Bittorrent distribution sites.



The site in question, however, does not appear to be taking the threat seriously.
I'm not surprised. Parasites!
 

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
51
1
i was anti-apple for a while until microsoft releases sp2 for windows xp. i think apple's pricing on tiger is very reasonable and there is even sites similar to *********.com that are giving away osx tiger for free. i respect apple for their pursuance of people distributing the software early, especially since it had to start with an employee of theirs.
 

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
123
0
Having received Tiger, I'm not that impressed - Finder has crashed a few times, all the elements in some Cocoa applications can be 'focussed' by pressing Tab repeatedly, but to no real effect as they cannot be manipulated and my Bluetooth headset no longer works. I've also yet to find a compelling use for Dashboard and Mail's new look is appallingly inconsistent.

What's more, on my PB 1.33GHz there is no real discernable speed-up, especially compared to Jaguar --> Panther and this is on a clean install.

Compulsory registration is also not nice...
 

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
1,914
0
New York
edesignuk said:
Pretty please, with sugar on the top, if anyone wants to get in to the whole piracy and legality
debate, carry it on in this thread :) :cool:
It's pretty difficult to do so in that thread. :)

Anyway, I really hope Tiger gets here by Friday, as I was thinking about picking it up at the store, but I decided to preorder it instead. I dunno if I'll be able to take another day of waiting. :)

The BitTorrent bug as almost bitten me a few times before, but I've resisted thus far.

5 more days to go.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
It's going to be really exciting to read people's experiences and see the first few screenshots. Although I'm holding off purchasing Tiger for right now, I think that it won't take long to persuade me to get a copy once all the news and reviews start coming out. :cool:
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
thedoc1111 said:
Having received Tiger, I'm not that impressed - Finder has crashed a few times, all the elements in some Cocoa applications can be 'focussed' by pressing Tab repeatedly, but to no real effect as they cannot be manipulated and my Bluetooth headset no longer works. I've also yet to find a compelling use for Dashboard and Mail's new look is appallingly inconsistent.

What's more, on my PB 1.33GHz there is no real discernable speed-up, especially compared to Jaguar --> Panther and this is on a clean install.

Compulsory registration is also not nice...
Interesting, thanks for posting the feedback. It is reasons like this why I am holding back on purchasing Tiger right away. I'll let some of the issues and bugs present themselves and get fixed before I buy. And also, if the overall user experience is disappointing based on some reviews, that will make it easier to wait, as at the moment, I have no complaints whatsoever with Panther.
 

blackcrayon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
1,991
1,483
thedoc1111 said:
Having received Tiger, I'm not that impressed - Finder has crashed a few times, all the elements in some Cocoa applications can be 'focussed' by pressing Tab repeatedly, but to no real effect as they cannot be manipulated and my Bluetooth headset no longer works. I've also yet to find a compelling use for Dashboard and Mail's new look is appallingly inconsistent.

What's more, on my PB 1.33GHz there is no real discernable speed-up, especially compared to Jaguar --> Panther and this is on a clean install.

Compulsory registration is also not nice...
How is the registration "Compulsory"?
 

blackcrayon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
1,991
1,483
edesignuk said:
When you install it, there is no skip button on the registration screen....unless I'm going blind :eek:
Ahh... You need to hit "command-option-Q" (it used to be just plain "command-Q".

Wonder why the change... (instead of just removing it completely if they don't want you to be able to avoid it).
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
edesignuk said:
When you install it, there is no skip button on the registration screen....unless I'm going blind :eek:
I assume this is simply an anti-piracy feature then? Don't remember having that on Panther...
 

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
2,511
0
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
out of curiosity, does anyone know what bit torrent site this is talking about?

---NEVERMIND---
The site is a swedish tracker that is known for never taking legal threats seriously because there is some legal loophole in Sweden that doesn't follow much for international copyright laws.
 

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
283
0
Denver, CO
I signed up for the Tiger Early Release program so I've had a chance to play some of the betas, but what I haven't been able to figure out is whether or not I'm entitled to a free copy of the final release version. Anyone have any insights?

Thanks!
 

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
2,395
2
Moorestown, NJ
If someone was really smart, they would put their copy on ebay, then just buy another copy and make huge profit, possibly enough to get the actual OS cost as free! That's what I'd do anyway, there are a ton of Mac Nuts who'd pay big bucks :D . But i guess by the time it would ship, it would be available in stores....oh well it was a thought.
 

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
134
0
Los Angeles
rockthecasbah said:
If someone was really smart, they would put their copy on ebay, then just buy another copy and make huge profit, possibly enough to get the actual OS cost as free! That's what I'd do anyway, there are a ton of Mac Nuts who'd pay big bucks :D . But i guess by the time it would ship, it would be available in stores....oh well it was a thought.
Not the brightest of ones either. Don't forget there are fees involved with listing things on the internet and if you are selling a product before it has been released on the market (unless you are promising simply to ship upon release of the product) that would be illegal and not tolerated on ebay. This is all not to mention the fact that the amount of work you'd have to commit yourself to and the number of copies you would have to sell just in order to make a decent profit would make the whole derned enterprise nigh unworth the effort.
 

geminister

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2005
2
0
mnkeybsness said:
out of curiosity, does anyone know what bit torrent site this is talking about?

---NEVERMIND---
The site is a swedish tracker that is known for never taking legal threats seriously because there is some legal loophole in Sweden that doesn't follow much for international copyright laws.
that is quite inaccurate, to say the least. the loophole only makes it legal for the tracker-sites to run as usual. the act of downloading/sharing a torrent isnt legal though, but it's quite hard to trace.

since the tracker-sites do not violate swedish law, they do not have to give away information about users to anyone.

i can understand why the tracker itself feels the need to ridicule these threats, because it is quite arrogant of all these american lawfirms not to check what the legislation is like in the country they send these letters to.

and when it comes to all other forms of copyright, sweden is in line with the international standards.
 

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,302
4
I can't wait for my copy to come. It says on or before 4 /28, but it also says its still processing the order :(.

Hopefully Apple will win against this site. Why can't they just track down users who have gotten an illegally shared copy? I would think that they'd be able to tell if two computers had it from the same DVD, if they were both hooked up to the net.
 

blackcrayon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
1,991
1,483
Ja Di ksw said:
I can't wait for my copy to come. It says on or before 4 /28, but it also says its still processing the order :(.

Hopefully Apple will win against this site. Why can't they just track down users who have gotten an illegally shared copy? I would think that they'd be able to tell if two computers had it from the same DVD, if they were both hooked up to the net.

No they wouldn't, because they don't use unique serial #s to register or to identify their operating system.

Of course, the installed OS X could report the serial # of the mac it's installed on back to Apple, but that would raise all sorts of privacy issues and be a really bad idea...
 

sirjimithy1

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
37
0
blackcrayon said:
No they wouldn't, because they don't use unique serial #s to register or to identify their operating system.

Of course, the installed OS X could report the serial # of the mac it's installed on back to Apple, but that would raise all sorts of privacy issues and be a really bad idea...
Yeah, one Microsoft is enough for me. At least Apple realizes that the little bit of money you do save with anti-piracy efforts isn't worth pissing off the people who legitimately purchase the OS.
 

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,302
4
blackcrayon said:
No they wouldn't, because they don't use unique serial #s to register or to identify their operating system.

Of course, the installed OS X could report the serial # of the mac it's installed on back to Apple, but that would raise all sorts of privacy issues and be a really bad idea...
So why not use unique serial #'s? I would laugh if Apple did with this OS, but didn't tell people and then caught everyone who had an illegal copy.

I can see it raising privacy issues to report the serial # of the mac its on, but what else would make it a "really bad idea"?
 

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
400
2
Arlington, VA
thedoc1111 said:
Having received Tiger, I'm not that impressed - Finder has crashed a few times, all the elements in some Cocoa applications can be 'focussed' by pressing Tab repeatedly, but to no real effect as they cannot be manipulated and my Bluetooth headset no longer works. I've also yet to find a compelling use for Dashboard and Mail's new look is appallingly inconsistent.

What's more, on my PB 1.33GHz there is no real discernable speed-up, especially compared to Jaguar --> Panther and this is on a clean install.

Compulsory registration is also not nice...
Until we see some shots, how do we know you've even received it?