Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Can you check which LED's are ON when you press DIAG in your working Mac Pro 08 ?

STBY - yellow
GPU
PWRG
EFI - all these three - green

After pressing Power button then DIAG: STBY and PWRG lights, then GPU and at last EFI lights up.

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Space, you really confuss me.

It might be. I've shipped my Mac again to another service. I also gave them my dead board in case of spare parts needed :)

I didn't installed Superdrive, so maybe it will just open tray and wait for BootROM recovery disc.

Here you say that you've shipped it off to service. but later you seem to indicat that you're still working on it youself. What's up?

If you still have it, why don't you try installing the supperdrive and seeing if you can run the recovery disk. Here's how to do it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL94

One other note... the CPU LEDs being lit do not indicate a bad processor per se, they indicate a bad instruction. If the firmware is known good then you can surmise that you're processors are bad. If the firmware is questionable then all it really tells you is that it's either corrupted firmware or a bad processor.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Space, you really confuss me.

Here you say that you've shipped it off to service. but later you seem to indicat that you're still working on it youself. What's up?

If you still have it, why don't you try installing the supperdrive and seeing if you can run the recovery disk. Here's how to do it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL94

One other note... the CPU LEDs being lit do not indicate a bad processor per se, they indicate a bad instruction. If the firmware is known good then you can surmise that you're processors are bad. If the firmware is questionable then all it really tells you is that it's either corrupted firmware or a bad processor.

Computer is now in service. I forgot to check this out, because I'm using both Superdrives in my working Mac Pro 2006. We will see what service will tell.

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
You've had such a string of bad luck with this, I hope things go well for you!

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Service diagnosis: Computer is not seeing memory or probably seeing half of modules (osciloscope test). When memory is removed POWER LED is blinking (typical Apple memory error).

They will test another memory modules on friday.

We will see :) I got currently 12 spare memory modules at home and 2 spare risers for this model, so that's not a problem.

hyram

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
When memory is removed POWER LED is blinking (typical Apple memory error).

Very interesting. From what I've read, a bilinking power LED can also mean corupted firmware. What other LEDs are on when you get the blinking power LED?

Norskman

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Wow Spacedust, what a great attitude you've had through all this. I'm sure I speak on behalf of most here that we would not have accepted this with such an eager and tenacious attitude and fixed it ourselves, but rather kept at the seller until he agreed to refund our money.

I am really hoping you get this fixed, but I also hope you didn't sink more money into this than what it's worth.

Thanks for keeping us involved through this quest to get the Mac Pro running!

Na zdrowie!

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Czekamy z zapartym tchem! :)

The guy who suppose to lend FB-DIMM's to the service is sick. FB-DIMM's are extremely unpopular in Poland (only large servers, expensive Dell Workstation and few Mac Pro users use such memory).

They told me it would be faster to ship them my spare risers and another FB-DIMM modules (I only got 4 sticks of 2 GB 667 MHz modules unused - my current 8x4 GB 800 MHz modules are way too expensive to ship anywhere). They got cheap dedicated courier service, so that's not a problem.

So next news will come on tuesday. Stay tuned :)

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Still no good news guys.

Service tested everything... even another CPU's (I don't know if that was Xeon's 5400 series, they will tell me next week) and still the same.

The old dead board seems to have working sockets, but some small chips are broken. The new ones is looking perfectly, but no chime ;(

I will get my machine back home next week and then I will try to repair it myself.

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Finally. I got new pair of E5462 SLANT processors and now it works like a new :D

It really faster than my old E5345 and doesn't smell at all !

Fans are a little bit louder (bearing noise).

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm glad you finally got it sorted. :D That was a long, frustrating, and presumably expensive ordeal. :eek: :p

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Remember: never ever use SLB** stepping in Mac Pro !

X5492 will not work
X5482 SLANZ only
X5472 SLASA only
E5462 SLANT only

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Gratulacje!
Now you got almost "brand new" Mac Pro 2008 ;)
New case with PSU, logic board, CPUs... what's left from original setup?
Congratz for determination and positive thinking. It finally "has been" awarded :).

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Gratulacje!
Now you got almost "brand new" Mac Pro 2008 ;)
New case with PSU, logic board, CPUs... what's left from original setup?
Congratz for determination and positive thinking. It finally "has been" awarded :).

new case with PSU,
new logic board,
new CPU's,
radiators are old (one of them is probably from Mac Pro 2006, have less copper)
memory is new
GPU is my old flashed HIS HD4870 512MB (I will sell my old Mac Pro with 2600XT) + Accelero S1 v.2 + Noctua 12 cm fan on it
one Superdrive from Mac Pro 2006 (SONY NEC OPTIARC) and one from this one (PIONEER)
all HDD's and SSD from my old Mac Pro

Parts were ordered from countries as follows:

- Poland
- Great Britain
- Germany
- Austria
- Australia

It's doesn't smell at all :) No more headaches. Mac Pro 2006 smelt terrible.

I love 64-bit programs running now without any problems like Logic 9 Pro :]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.