Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
This is the most logical reason I can think of too. Note how the MBPs were also released in between the subsequent iPad launches. I've stated before that I just see absolutely no place on the show floor at WWDC for the Mac Pro, even if they did something a bit more substantial, like a design change, USB 3, or what have you.

I seriously think making any public announcement about the Mac Pro would likely backfire on Apple. I think announcing to a room full of developers that your company now offers several month old processors is one of the last things they would want to do. Any other, unexpected updates to the MP would simply be underminded by their prolongued tardiness.
They don't really care about various events to release products like they used too, according to a front page article some months back.

It seems to me they're simply concerned that a simultaneous product release would negatively affect the initial sales volume by muddling the focus. Single product releases have no interference that can reduce sales, and afterall, they want $$$ ASAP. ;)

As far as being tardy with the MP, it's a workstation, not a consumer model, and it's not unheard of for the systems to ship after the official release date of the CPU models that go in them (by a couple of months, so a May release isn't going to be that critical).

But it doesn't hurt to get them out quicker than the competition to garner a few additional sales and some marketing prestige as well.

So if Apple suddenly announced the next MP now with product ready to ship, they'd not be affected as you might think (not tardy, nor undermine them).

Now if they don't release until something like September of this year, that would be a really embarassing foul-up (using existing parts, not an early release of the Sandy Bridge line). :eek: :p

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I love how your recent posts have went from curious speculation to straight, blunt, no BS demands :D

But I think that is starting to sum up the entire mood here. Just give it to us already, damnit.

This situation has absolutely nothing to do with other products or events period. I've come to the conclusion that the problem is with the cpu parts availability even aside from the article today regarding the possibility of September before the intel parts are available in quantity. With rumors of shortages or non existent parts in the marketplace, I'm sure this is effecting Apple in some manner. I just wish we had a time frame from Apple to go by and I could make some sort of decision here. It's extremely frustrating. It would be so easy to order up a 980x system right now. :confused:

sOid

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
I just wish we had a time frame from Apple to go by and I could make some sort of decision here. It's extremely frustrating. It would be so easy to order up a 980x system right now. :confused:

Couldn't agree more. My current Mac is really falling apart. It would be awful if it breaks down before the new MacPro's are available. I really don't know what I'd buy then... Probably go Hackintosh.

GiantDolphin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
It just doesn't add up to me. How could it be a supply problem when Dell is selling 6-core and 12-core workstations with the new Xeons? They don't seem to have a supply problem.

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
It just doesn't add up to me. How could it be a supply problem when Dell is selling 6-core and 12-core workstations with the new Xeons? They don't seem to have a supply problem.

I agree. At this point, it seems now that the new processors are in good supply, it is all about timing. Even though the markets for the Mac Pro and iPad are completely different, there is no way Apple is going to kill any of the buzz around the iPad 3G release.

I would expect the Mac Pro update anytime during May, right in between the iPad 3G release and iPhone announcement.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I am seeing a May 4 shipping date on a 12-core I just built on their website.
Which means they've parts in-hand (CPU's), as the base system assembly is done overseas these days (just as it is with Apple or any other vendor). They have to assemble and ship it (assembly may even be in 2x stages; main board and case overseas, options added in the US - Houston, TX in this case).

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Jeez, you guys go on and on like we live in some impoverished country. What is so BAD about the current Mac Pro's? This thread was supposed to be about someone happy about a new Mac Purchase, then it gets hijacked into a whinefest about waiting for the next release.

Do any of you actually have any work to do?? Or is there a ton of people out there that just have loads of cash to buy new computers and nothing to do?

And guess what happens a couple months after the new Mac Pro's hit the shelves: people wondering about when the next rev is coming out, etc, etc, etc. It never ever ends...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
...This thread was supposed to be about someone happy about a new Mac Purchase, then it gets hijacked into a whinefest about waiting for the next release...

Me thinks you ought to re-read the thread title a bit more carefully :rolleyes:

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Jeez, you guys go on and on like we live in some impoverished country. What is so BAD about the current Mac Pro's? This thread was supposed to be about someone happy about a new Mac Purchase, then it gets hijacked into a whinefest about waiting for the next release.

Do any of you actually have any work to do?? Or is there a ton of people out there that just have loads of cash to buy new computers and nothing to do?

And guess what happens a couple months after the new Mac Pro's hit the shelves: people wondering about when the next rev is coming out, etc, etc, etc. It never ever ends...

I'm guessing your some kind of millionaire who doesn't need to consider practical lifespan of a major investment?

So when you come to replace your next Mac Pro (which you obviously don't need to right now) will you ensure that you wait an additional 14 months from that initial purchase decision date, and only then purchase it.

When they start shipping the newer updated model the very week after your 14 month old model arrives please do not whine about it.

Most peoples exact problem is they have a ton of work to do but struggle on with current ageing tech to avoid feel narked about buying last years tech at todays prices - millionaires, it seems, don't seem too bothered either way.

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
Most peoples exact problem is they have a ton of work to do but struggle on with current ageing tech to avoid feel narked about buying last years tech at todays prices - millionaires, it seems, don't seem too bothered either way.

I think this describes every single person (except reel2reel) who has posted in this thread. Well said my friend. :)

masmullin

macrumors member
May 7, 2009
Price

The current low-end MP are about $1500 more expensive than a comparatively priced windows machine, $1650 more than a linux/no-OS-installed machine (you can get one for about $1250 now).

Sure you dont get the nice OSX nor the nice layout of the MP case, but I dont think those two things are worth 1650smackers.

The low end MP should cost about $2100. I think $350 price for OSX is reasonable $300 for the case is reasonable (cheap lowend case is about 75$.. so the total cost of the mac case is $375) and $200 for the brand name.

Unfortunately Apple seems to think they can sell the low end MP for $2900CND.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Jeez, you guys go on and on like we live in some impoverished country. What is so BAD about the current Mac Pro's?

Nothing at all, but we wish to buy new ones, plain and simple. If your ready to buy and a new model is just about here, then that's what you want. No mystery.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Leaks about a new mac pro have come to a complete halt. I'd even take a false rumor just about now. :D

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
My dad's cousin works for apple and he says they will be out the tuesday after next. Or the next one after that, I dont remember.

I want to believe you, but things like this: "Or the next one after that, I dont remember", make it hard to for me. :rolleyes:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
They could at least bump the specs on the current mac pros, 1tb hard drives, double the ram and better graphics card options would be lovely.

sOid

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
So ehm, has anyone here send mr Jobs an email with questions about the new MacPro?

He seems pretty responsive lately, so it might be worth a try...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
So ehm, has anyone here send mr Jobs an email with questions about the new MacPro?

He seems pretty responsive lately, so it might be worth a try...

yup and nada. maybe if enough people sent one. . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.