Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
shelterpaw said:
Nice!!! Most likely you made a wise decision to purchase your addional RAM and HD from a third party. Apple requires arms and legs for their optional upgrades. ;)

I like it to show up ready to go.

Plus, I know for sure the apple chosen ram will be flawless...
This is a rev. A. ;)

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Dual processor?

I thought the Woodcrest processors were unsuited for multi-processor configurations. Anyone with more info?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Prices will come down

Apple's newest and greatest always has high prices, then they will come down.

With the Gx range, this didn't happen as IBM rarely changed their prices.

Welcome to the new Intel world where prices change on a monthly basis.

Remember when the Mac Mini were introduced?

First they were quite expensive, then prices came down within a few weeks.

I can't remember when the next Intel price drop is expected - someone tell us please? (probably in about 2 or 3 months time - Octoberish.)

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
Can anyone tell what the holdups are on Mac Pros? Both the X1900 and bluetooth/airport seem to take it from 3-5 days up to 2-5 weeks.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I'm excited but disappointed at the same time.

It's nice to see some of the things they're incorporating into Leopard, and it's great to finally see a physical MacPro and read a spec sheet. You get a lot of processing power for the money, no doubt.

On the flipside -
the base video card is pretty meh. Additional HD options are ridiculously limited; you can only add 500g ones (no 250) for 2nd/3rd/4th HD. Base price on the dual 2.6 is..ok I guess. I join many others when I say I was hoping for lower cost but we'll see if they deliver a high end iMac with a Core 2 in the next few months.

Congrats to all the early adopters; I'm envious. :)
But I think the waiting game is best, even though it sucks. Then again I don't have the necessary funds so it's excusable. I'll be waiting til next year around the time Leopard launches I think and then I'll buy...mmm something. :D (Depends on what these are going for and also if we see any Core 2 iMacs.)

All in all though, way to go Apple...you've got yourself another customer. I can't wait to be able to use some of the new features in Leopard.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
There are many of you I want to beat with a spiky stick right now. Let's consolidate you into one bullet-point list of whiners:

• How could they not include Airport/Bluetooth? Screw you Apple, I'm going (to Win XP) home!
  • How could they not release a low-end non-pro Mac Pro? That's it! I'm getting a Fujitsu!!
  • How could WWDC be so lame?? I can't believe they didn't release an iPhone and new iPod! Don't these rumor sites verify their information with Apple first?? To hell with Macs, I'm Ubunting!

A bunch of wankers.

1. You are going to spend thousands on a Mac PRO and you are going to pitch a fit over adding wireless for less than 80 bucks? Guess what, these are PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATIONS, not consumer internet computers. The target demographic of these computers is a wired-network setting. Obviously home users and others may have use for wireless in a Mac Pro, so that's why Apple OFFERS IT.

2. What applications do you need that a Mac Mini Core Duo can't handle? Oh, games? Why in the sweet baby Jesus' name are you on MACrumors if you're a gamer? Apple cedes your kind to Dellienware. Go. Shoo. Leave the grownups alone. Some people want a "configurable" computer even though they will never have any need to configure anything (besides RAM). Niche of a niche. If you're such a geek that you want all the PCI express slots and hard drive bays and dual optical drives, get a newspaper route and bloody buy a Mac Pro. If Apple decides to release a Mac Cube, you'll be the first to know, pinky swear!

3. WWDC. D. C. ****D**** If you thought an iPhone was coming, you are certifiable.

From what I am reading, the Mac Pro seems to be the most mind-numbingly excellent computer and value to ever come out of Apple. Huge triumph. I can't wait to play with one in the stores.

And to those of you who so desperately want snazzy new consumer products, you'll always have Paris.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
gugy said:
on the Macrumors live feed Steve said new announcements coming in the week or next week. Any comments?
Yeah, at 10.24am on the MRL feed, though it was slightly ambiguous. Engadget also picked up on this but gave more detail - it's new universal applications that are being announced this week:

10:24AM - "We had a sixth major release that we don't get much credit for. Tiger on Intel. Porting an OS is is no easy task. And our software team did a great job. They made it look really easy which has enabled this amazing transition. 86 million lines of source code that was ported to run on an entirely new architecture with zero hiccups. Along the way, we created a way to run universal applications that run on PowerPC and Intel. I'm pleased to report that there are more than 3,000 universal applications and we at Apple would like to say, thank you, thank you guys. "You guys have done a phenomenal job and there are a lot more being announced at the developer conference this week."

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
LaMerVipere said:
• Weak graphics card standard (GeForce 7300, ugh)
Is the GeForce 7300 better than the GeForce 6800 that was the high-end option with the PowerMac when Steve introduced the 30" Cinema Display?

If so, I'm really behind on the times. :eek:

shelterpaw

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
killr_b said:
I like it to show up ready to go.

Plus, I know for sure the apple chosen ram will be flawless...
This is a rev. A. ;)
I wasn't trying to put a digg on you, you're machine is awesome, but not everyone can put down the amount of money you did and aftermarket helps. But you're super stoked nonethelss. :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
bursty said:
Its absolute crap that a ~$600 Macmini has these options standard, and yet Apples $4000 top of the line machine doesnt. Unacceptable.
No, it means that the base Mini would be $530 instead of $600 if wireless wasn't standard. And the base Mac Pro would be $2570 instead of $2500 if it did. At least you have the choice on the Pro.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Where are the wireless antennas on the new towers? No longer external, apparently?

LaMerVipere said:
LAME

• $2,499 standard price of Mac Pro ($2,299 for Education)

——$2,124 is the lowest you can configure the Mac Pro ($1,962 for Education)
And even without edu discount, still $1000 cheaper than a comparable Dell. Lame. ;)

MacVault said:
I read a comment on Maccentral from someone saying they were going to wait for a "true" dual processor. What is not true about the Mac Pro configuration? Or did that poster not know what he was talking about?
It's two chips, each a dual... maybe the person meant they're waiting (as am I possibly) for "true quads," meaning 4 CPUs on one chip? That's expected (Kentsfield) by the end of the year. (But then after that, an even "truer" quad chip is expected :p ) Anyway, the benefit of 4-on-1-chip with Kentsfield may be mainly one of price. Which is enough to make me consider waiting, however.

Thataboy said:
There are many of you I want to beat with a spiky stick right now. Let's consolidate you into one bullet-point list of whiners:

• How could they not include Airport/Bluetooth? Screw you Apple, I'm going (to Win XP) home!
  • How could they not release a low-end non-pro Mac Pro? That's it! I'm getting a Fujitsu!!
  • How could WWDC be so lame?? I can't believe they didn't release an iPhone and new iPod! Don't these rumor sites verify their information with Apple first?? To hell with Macs, I'm Ubunting!
A reasonable summation :p

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
Eidorian said:
$1962 for US Education. w/2 GHz and 160 GB hard drive.
A 2.66GHz CPU is about $400 more expensive than a 2.0GHz, BTO only takes $300 off, so the base config is the best choice. There is a gap, no single processor mac pro, not like Apple's sale strategy. Either Cornore mac pro or iMac will be great.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
No iMac update (but added expectation of one with the pro-sumer-sized 'gap' people have commented on) is good news for my wallet and my patience. :rolleyes:

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
1. You are going to spend thousands on a Mac PRO and you are going to pitch a fit over adding wireless for less than 80 bucks?
Yes. I bought a work truck for $15000 and made them give me a $100 bedliner free. The amount I'm spending has nothing to do with my desire to extract the most value for myself.

Apple ain't a charity, I want every last penny I can squeeze from our transactions.

Guess what, these are PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATIONS, not consumer internet computers. The target demographic of these computers is a wired-network setting. Obviously home users and others may have use for wireless in a Mac Pro, so that's why Apple OFFERS IT.
These are PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATIONS that LOOK an awful lot like DESKTOP COMPUTERS shockingly enough.

I hear you can even buy one if you've never worked in an office.

I hear Apple's popular among 'creative types' who might work independently, even from home.

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
tonyl said:
A 2.66GHz CPU is about $400 more expensive than a 2.0GHz, BTO only takes $300 off, so the base config is the best choice. There is a gap, no single processor mac pro, not like Apple's sale strategy. Either Cornore mac pro or iMac will be great.

No, it's "TWO 2.66GHz CPUs are about $800 more expensive than TWO 2.0GHz.....".

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
LaMerVipere said:
LAME

• $2,499 standard price of Mac Pro ($2,299 for Education)

——$2,124 is the lowest you can configure the Mac Pro ($1,962 for Education)

———To get it that low, you have to drop the processors from 2.66GHz to 2GHz and and the hard drive from 250GB to 160GB

• Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0 still not standard

• Weak graphics card standard (GeForce 7300, ugh)

and as a sidenote:

• MacBook Pro & MacBook processors untouched

• iMac untouched

• iPod product line grows more stale by the day

It was WWDC not MacWorld you know?

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
tokevino said:
No, it's "TWO 2.66GHz CPUs are about $800 more expensive than TWO 2.0GHz.....".

That's what I'm saying, $400x2=$800-$300=$500 profit for Apple, That's wonderful for Apple.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
GFLPraxis said:
It's still a QUAD at $2,124. Even if it's 2 GHz, that's still utterly insane, especially when a *single* 2 GHz Woodcrest outperforms a 3.5 GHz Pentium 4 easily IIRC.

That is information what I am waiting for before calling it lame or excellent...

Another problem IMHO is that you now must buy a Quad config, if you want 2 HD's or a good grfx card.

Many people will pay for the 3rd and 4th core without ever using it.

I think Apple could have done with a Dual Core config (Conroe) as low-end Mac Pro machine: give the buyer the expansibility of a Pro machine, but keep the price in a pro-sumer level.

I wonder how much faster the Quad 2.66 really is than a Quad 2.5 GHz G5. Something tells me that Apple is usually rather positive regarding the new machines.... ;)

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Thataboy said:
2. What applications do you need that a Mac Mini Core Duo can't handle? Oh, games? Why in the sweet baby Jesus' name are you on MACrumors if you're a gamer? Apple cedes your kind to Dellienware. Go. Shoo. Leave the grownups alone.

Here's other point of view: I want to use OSX in everyday use (Safari, Mail, iTunes, graphic design, Dreamweaver etc... and OSX overall). But sometimes I want to play games too, and it's awesome that nowadays it's possible to boot into Windows and play games there and then boot back into OSX. Are you saying that Apple should totally forget all users who would like to use OSX but occasionally play games on Windows, and let them buy PCs? Most of the gamers do not use their computer ONLY to play games. Consumer tower would be good for Apple to get new switchers and get more marketshare.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Thataboy said:

A bunch of wankers.

1. You are going to spend thousands on a Mac PRO and you are going to pitch a fit over adding wireless for less than 80 bucks? Guess what, these are PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATIONS, not consumer internet computers. The target demographic of these computers is a wired-network setting. Obviously home users and others may have use for wireless in a Mac Pro, so that's why Apple OFFERS IT.

2. What applications do you need that a Mac Mini Core Duo can't handle? Oh, games? Why in the sweet baby Jesus' name are you on MACrumors if you're a gamer? Apple cedes your kind to Dellienware. Go. Shoo. Leave the grownups alone. Some people want a "configurable" computer even though they will never have any need to configure anything (besides RAM). Niche of a niche. If you're such a geek that you want all the PCI express slots and hard drive bays and dual optical drives, get a newspaper route and bloody buy a Mac Pro. If Apple decides to release a Mac Cube, you'll be the first to know, pinky swear!

3. WWDC. D. C. ****D**** If you thought an iPhone was coming, you are certifiable.

From what I am reading, the Mac Pro seems to be the most mind-numbingly excellent computer and value to ever come out of Apple. Huge triumph. I can't wait to play with one in the stores.

And to those of you who so desperately want snazzy new consumer products, you'll always have Paris.
Sorry, I was only going to quote the relevant parts...but they're all relevant. And need to be repeated.

Spiky, cool....that's my nick everywhere else but here. Couldn't help but think of Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.
Dellienware. :D Ugly + Ugly = Ugly

Although, the Macbook does compete for the "most mind-numbingly excellent computer and value to ever come out of Apple."

tokevino

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
tonyl said:
That's what I'm saying, $400x2=$800-$300=$500 profit for Apple, That's wonderful for Apple.

On the other hand, internal pricing from Intel can be VERY different. So don't let it get too much into your head.

Bottom line, these quads are truly wonderful machines to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.