Mac Pro COST TOO MUCH!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sawtooth811, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Is it a better deal to get a G5 Quad 2.5GHz, or a 2.66MHz Xeon mac pro? I still think the G5 is faster in many cases. Also, I kinda like the G5's look better than the Mac Pro's, and I don't know why.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you're not desperate, wait...the next one's will be awesome...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You should microsolder a 233MHz G3 up to an Xeon. It's not that hard.

4. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

The Quad G5 isn't going to be faster than the Mac Pro, unless for some reason you're sticking with non-Universal applications. Even then, I would not take a flyer on the liquid cooling unit on the G5 giving out on me, especially if buying the system used without warranty.

5. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Actually, according to recent benchmarking, the G5's QUAD Core CPU renderer score is NOT far behind the new Xeons. Plus, I NEED RAM!!! I want to use the xtra money for RAM. Most likely I'll still take the G5 over the Mac Pro, because I still use Classic....well, actually, if I get either a G5 or Mac Pro, I'll use my "old" G4 for classic!

6. admiraldennis macrumors regular

I love your threads, Sawtooth.

If only you would post more often.

7. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Sawtooth, as I've told people before, do yourself a favor and don't buy a powerpc mac. It's just not worth it. Soon you won't be able to run the applications you need, and intel just works better. What do you need your computer for? Are you sure you need a mac pro?

8. cube macrumors G5

Mac Pro doesn't cost too much. It's overengineered for most people, which is different.

9. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

In more than one and a half years the Mac Pro hasn't changed in price although the most expensive components got considerably cheaper (Xeons, HD, RAM, Graphics)...
    It isn't just overengeneered but overpriced, too.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Seriously? The only difference, looks-wise, when viewed from anywhere but the rear, is the addition of a second optical drive door, a second USB port and a FireWire 800 port on the Mac Pros.
    [​IMG] VS. [​IMG]

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Frankly, the Mac Pro is going to last you longer than the old, replaced PowerMac G5.

12. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

G5 not faster unless it's a PPC app. Plus The mac pro was cheaper than the G5 when they came out.

Source: Mac Pro vs PM
    [​IMG]

13. seany916 macrumors 6502

If you're asking for the best deal...

wait a bit for the next MP.

14. iMan G5 macrumors member

Just to let you know... I wouldn't touch a liquid cooled PM G5 with a 10 foot poll. Sure I would take one for free but I mean I have seen PM G5 Quads for more than a new MP. I would bet that a 2.0GHz MP would still blow away the G5.

15. Graphis macrumors member

Ha! Mac Pro's cost too much? You guys in the US don't know how lucky you are!! I costed a Mac Pro at the spec I wanted, together with a few extras (500GB hard drive, 4GB RAM, 23" monitor etc etc) at Apple's online US store. The total cost was $6310.00. Converted to GBP, that equals £3,050.96, at today's prices. But to buy the exact same setup here in the UK from Apple's UK online store, it costs £4215.00 ($8717.46) That's almost £1200 ($2400) difference!

I'm wondering, how much would I save if I bought one in the US and got it shipped over? Is this even possible? Heck, for £300 ($600) I could fly over to NY, buy a MP, fly back same day with it on my lap:)

16. Masher500 macrumors member

Masher500

I have to agree its a little expensive for what you get. Thats why im holding out for the new rev. I would be bummed if i bought one now, and then the new rev came like a month later. I just put 4gigs of ram im my MBP, its runs a lot better so im happy. btw,it was from newegg.com Cost me 103 shipped!

17. Godric macrumors newbie

Build a hackintosh if you need power on the cheap.

18. termina3 macrumors 65816

Never never never never buy BTO options from Apple. That's where you probably got all that extra cost (although I won't deny that Brits pay more than us Amercans)

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

why would you want to pay so much for outdated hardware? with apple I think its always the best deal to get the newest hardware for the least amount ie discounts etc.

I found this out when my last macbook purchase from the refurb site came right before they upgraded to C2D chips. My discount for buying refurb was thus defunct.

sorry for the posts but one more thing.

I was able to purchase the 2.6 MBP with the %20 off discount, making it only a little more than the high end refurbs curently on sale...

20. Nightfall macrumors newbie

Graphis -- wonder if you would pay duty if you brought it back yourself??:eek:

21. Graphis macrumors member

Good point... I'd forgotten about that:)
    But the insane price conversion means that other Apple resellers here can offer greater discounts. When I do buy a Mac Pro (soon hopefully), I'll get it from somewhere other than Apple's UK store.

Thanks to the current low dollar and high pound, US goods are particularly cheap for us right now: I buy a lot of stuff from the US, and even with shipping factored in, it's still often a lot cheaper than buying the same product here. The only thing that worries me a little is whether the machine could stand up to the rigours of the UK postal service.

22. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

... Well I laughed...

23. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Could you post a tutorial please?

24. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

T-18 months until Sawtooth comes back in here pissing and moaning because Apple isn't supporting his G5 with their latest iteration of the Mac OS 10.6.

25. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Trust me, a mac pro is waaay out of the question.